Paddles or Gear Stick for DSG

jhibbin

How many nights would you like to stay over in Germany?  

1. 1. How many nights would you like to stay over in Germany?

• 2 Nights...
    • 3 Nights...
    • Other (Please comment)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Robin

I've not tried S mode at all yet as still running in. On the paddles going 5-4-3 there is a definate lag between 5 and 4. I just thought this was normal since the box had 6th engaged and I surprised it with a downshift whilst light throttle was still applied at 30. Its not massive but not instant either.

Do I have a fault or do others recognise the slight pause in situations like this? confused.gif

I would explore this further before deciding if a 'fault' or not. Also, don't forget that the car is probably still learning your driving style. My Milltek Turbo-back significantly improves throttle response so perhaps throttle response may also be a factor. Others will doubtless know more than myself about this.

I can only say that I've never been conscious of any lag in gear shifting. I've got a nice long drive tomorrow so I'll consciously check it out.

Hibbsy,

The car as far as I am aware has an adaptive "memory" and will therefore soon adjust to your style of driving.... There is certainly a pause in light throttle shifts possibly to protect the drivetrain and keep them as smooth as possible when in the urban environment.

Don't worry once the boring run in miles are complete and you begin to mash the long pedal the speed of the shift is about as rapid as you will get in a non supercar......

CMC950 - I would imagine because that is the way that automatic boxes have been built for years - with either a drive and sport mode, or a winter and summer mode - pretty much the same but with different labelling, depending on the underlying performance and ability of the vehicle/engine combination.

To do differently would make it very different to what most people would expect in an "auto" - and it is in the 1.9 TDI and 2.0 TDI diesels that DSG is making its huge number of sales.

Little tip, When in M, If you want the DSG to pre select a downgear. Floor the throttle a second or so before you down shift. That tells the ECU that lots more power is needed and the second clutch pre-selects the lower gear not the higher gear. Works for me!!! 169144-ok.gif

Not in my car it's not.....

In my GTI manual (MY06 print status 10.2005) it's on page 109 and it stays "Applies to: vehicles with hill start assistant" - its not in my GTI!

I've used this on the new Passat - basically when stopped, rather than having a manual pull up handbrake, you pull up a little lever that illuminates. This stops you rolling back on a hill. Rather than letting the handbrake off, you simply "drive off" and it automatically lets itself off once you are moving forwards. Great for driving tests, not much good for handbrake turns.....

When ordering my GTI it appeared to be an option for European Golfs (as were the drawers under the leather seats etc) ..... it is not an option for the GTI from VW UK

[ QUOTE ]

The Hill start assistant is standard on the Mk5 GTI. See handbook booklet 3.1 page 104.

[/ QUOTE ]

Page 109 in my handbook Red grin.gif

My drive is pretty steep ( > 5% ) so I guess I use the Hill start assistant everyday without really knowing it.

Basically I have noticed that the car cannot be rushed into moving off quickly....on selecting a gear (from the P position) and relasing the footbrake, it seems to take a second or two to find enough revs & creep forward....so I guess that is the Hill Start Assistant working.

There is also a Caution advised on p104 of my handbook that I was'nt aware of. It warns :

"Do not attempt to stop the car from rolling by depressing the accelerator when a gear has been selected. The DSG could overheat and be damaged. Pull the handbrake on fully or depress the brake pedal to prevent the vehicle from rolling away"

I must admit that in my last car with a Tiptronic box I used to hold the car on a steep approach to a set of traffic lights by pressing the accelerator slightly. NONO3.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

you pull up a little lever that illuminates. This stops you rolling back

[/ QUOTE ]

No mention of this lever in the GTi handbook in the Hill Start section though...it just says it will be held in position and the brake gradually released ?

Maybe it's different altogether - the Hill Start Assistant in the Passat works for both manuals and DSGs.

It's not clear on p109 how the Hill start would work for the GTI

I suspect its time to revisit the Stealership and have another look at how it works in the Passat - I can't recall if the gizmo is the handbrake.... ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

I'm still none the wiser as to what happens if you stop on a hill with your cars and leave the brake off - will it roll back straight away or only after 5 secs?

[/ QUOTE ]

As you release the foot brake the 'assist' holds the car for approx. 2 secs whilst you start to use the throttle.