GTI 30 years

olliblue

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say, does not make me go and say "ohh I must have that, I should have ordered that instead" etc, which in a way the Mk4 Anni did, just had that extra something about it which I am not sure this one will?

The fact for only 500 quid you can get that perfomance gain anyway, paint the sills yourself and black wheels your well away anyway. Lets face it as time goes on people will be easily able to mod their GTIs to add anni bits to their liking if they want to.

We're all presuming it's going to drive better? More power might upset the dynamics of the car, like the VXR.

Mind you, i think you'd struggle to notice it, especially 30hp on a remap. Wasn't the 150 1.8 a slightly different engine to the 180 1.8, i don't recall it being just the ECU on that one.

[ QUOTE ]

230hp is a waste IMO, to much spin! It's annoying enough as it is! crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot really see it as a problem myself the GTI at present with 200PS is no better or worse than our Leon Cupra R that was 225PS. I cannot see it been different to how it is now, at the end of the day it will all be down to how they setup the power delivery.

[ QUOTE ]

will VW UK offer the power hike to "normal" GTI's? UHOH7.GIFROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

They never did on the MKIV...... you had to buy the new 180bhp version which came out after all the Anni GTI's were sold out.

Dunno if it will be different on the MKV.

[ QUOTE ]

will VW UK offer the power hike to "normal" GTI's? UHOH7.GIFROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

....Wouldn't it de-value the '30' version if they did offer the power hike ?

Also, if it's true that they are likely to upgrade the diff then they probably think that a power upgrade needs a different diff.

[ QUOTE ]

I reckon It will be standard on the 07 (MY08) facelift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that just your own guess or from your contacts? wink.gif

I cannot see the Golf GTI been at 200PS much longer myself either, for the reason the class size below the golf GTI the clio/corsa class are all uping there power with new models to the 200PS mark as we speak.

Hmmm....Personally I find the standard GTI performance excellent for road use - A good balance of power/torque/traction once you get to know the car. Okay, my Milltek and KoniFSD+Eibachs contribute but if I increased the bhp I would probably wish to increase the grip....and brakes? It then gets into the sort of cost which would make more sense to wait and buy a future .:R Golf.

My own guess snoopy. They'll up the power near the end of the model line to shift stock. VW have never really played the BHP war with other manufacturers. (well not to my knowlege anyway) Anyway they have the .:R and S3 to out shine the likes of the VXR and upcoming Focus RS.

By chance just been reading back through an old Evo magazine (Nov 2004) which covered the Paris Launch of the GTI and also said :

"There's even rumour of a lightweight, stripped-out GTI after VW chief Bernd Pischetsrieder let slip that the company is considering a 230bhp version with lower trim levels for introduction in 2006."

I've just spotted something...the 30th ed GTI has more cooling vents at the front, similar to those used on the MY05 models. Perhaps the factory have just used this model to demonstrate what the Anni may look like. Or perhaps, going by the tarted up white GTI, it's a non-VW sanctioned car?

I'm clutching at straws here frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The thing is Steve nobody really knows.....................but we all love a bit of speculation here on TSN grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Speculation makes the TSN world go round grin.gif

Although it would be a pretty dull forum with no speculation! Guess we'll all have to wait and see what happens.

Re the vents in the fog panels: Just by coincidence I was talking to VW UK today about whether fitting the MY05 style square vented panels would void the warranty and the answer was that it was very risky because the vents on later GTIs had been modified (later cars) to better protect fog electrics etc.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....Personally I find the standard GTI performance excellent for road use - A good balance of power/torque/traction once you get to know the car. Okay, my Milltek and KoniFSD+Eibachs contribute but if I increased the bhp I would probably wish to increase the grip....and brakes? It then gets into the sort of cost which would make more sense to wait and buy a future .:R Golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its good as it is. But it maybe left behind with all the new stuff coming out and maybe shown up by the new 200bhp pocket hot hatches that are coming or other medium hot hatches that are also due.

I don't think for a small 30bhp jump much if anything would need to be changed the R32 only has uprated stuff as its so heavy.

When it first came out the GTI was not the fastest anyway. (just been watching UKTVpeople on sky as it has a topgear repeat of the GTI test) and it was not the fastest round the top gear track

Civic type R 1:32.8

Leon Cupra R 1:32.9

Golf GTI 1:33.7

Megan 225 1:34.0

Mini s works 1:34.2

C4 VTS 1:35.8

So it was even beaten by the Leon that was based on the mk4 chassis.

The GTI may have a good 0-60 time but after that its lagging compared to more recent rivals.

I think its lagging after 60 compared to alot of other cars,

I think a slight power hike by VW would keep it at the top of the hothatch game.

One of the Guys on there that always seems to have inside info has said.

This is a real mechanical torque sensing differential that is electronically controlled - not EDL. VW apparently tested Quaiffe and a few others and decided to go their own route and work with an outside supplier to build a mechanical locking differential that is electronically actuated and controlled similar to how the Haldex 4motion system is electronically controlled. VW wants to make sure the system plays nice with all the electronic systems (ESP, ASR, etc., etc.) and won't interfere with their operation in any way (since most of those are safety related systems).