Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
olliblue

GTI 30 years

133 posts in this topic

Wasn't someone selling some 18"s on here

Car insurance is a complete lottery, i remember a couple of years ago getting quotes on 330ci's that were half that of 320ci's confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Then there was my brother who sold a 150bhp 1.8T golf for a 250bhp A3 3.2 and his insurance fell by £300!!!!

So there really is no rule of thumb IMO. But that said, i would have thought that a golf with 30hp more would have commanded a small preimium increase over the standard car (or so you would think). I read in Autocar that they were giving it 1bhp for every year it had been in production... Do you think they did, or was that just coinsidence! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Then there was my brother who sold a 150bhp 1.8T golf for a 250bhp A3 3.2 and his insurance fell by £300!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it seems if there's a T or GTI in the name, then the insurance companies will punish you, regardless of horsepower.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it seems if there's a T or GTI in the name, then the insurance companies will punish you, regardless of horsepower.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should've by all accounts just hit the nail on the head mate. But then my A3 was nearly double what my new GTI is. Equally as fast, ones a drivers car, ones a cruiser... go figure! IMO the golf is more of a risk as it was built to be driven hard round bends and enjoys it, unlike the A3.

It's all built on stats, if say, Polo TDI's were being stolen and crashed left right and centre they'd be expensive to insure even if they were grouped low. If GTI's aren't really being nicked or being crashed into lamposts/hedges etc, then they'd be cheaper than other cars in their group and maybe even vehicles in the groups below them. coffee.gif

It's why brand new models are always expensive to insure, (relative to their grouping) it's because the insurance companies have no stats on which to base the premiums so they set the prices artificially high.

Que: ridicule from insurance john grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think the grouping of the new leon shows that too 14 compared to GTIs 17 but as said which i have found out alot in the past groups meen nothing at all compared to the ACTUAL cost your charged.

I have had cheaper quotes in the past for cars upto 6 groups higher than anther car i was looking at and its worked out at 20% less!

You often find cars that have a reputation like BMWs etc cost more than the equivelent less well known name for example.

My sister once got a quote for a SEAT 2.0 toledo with the GTI engine (group12) in compared to a cavalier 1.6L (group 6) she was looking at, the SEAT was half the cost to insure due to its less well known name.

Groups meen nothing, power meens nothing its a lottery as was just said.

Anyway back on topic.

Anyone seen any torque figures for this 230bhp version of the 2.0T?

Also on many forums they say the BALCK wheels are only on the prototype and thats the word im getting back too so i would not get too upset at the black wheels.

I think it's odd it doesn't have the BBS CH's TBH.

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's odd it doesn't have the BBS CH's TBH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old fashioned looking in my opinion and much too fussy. I think the 17" and 18" Monzas look much better.

I think that the 17s and 18s (both made by BBS) look much better too, but those CHs are a classic design and can't really be described as "old-fashioned" imo when you consider that current 2006 season Formula One cars use them.

Those Monzas look so good that they're a very hard act to follow, so VW have got a tricky one to decide re the "30" alloys.

Slightly off topic (very unusual for me grin.gif): I play at a regular Jam session and had taken pics on my digital camera of a 'new' guy playing "harp" (Blues harmonica)....Showed him the pics and in doing so I scrolled past a close up of my GTI's wheel...."Monza!" he exclaimed....So I said "How the heck do you know ? Have you got a GTI ?"....No, but he works for VW. Small world and he and I will be having some VeeDub chats in the future.