Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baldrik

USB adapter?

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone sucessfully bought and fitted a USB adapter?

If so please let me know how you did it and if it's any good.

Not bought or fitted one but been shown one working. The Grey R32 on the stand at Frankfurt had this option. One of the VDub ladies had a USB stick and showed me it in operation. Works the same as the ipod dock so far as I can remember.

This is a good website. One of the things you can get is a USB adapter - http://www.fischermotorsport.de/VW/VW-Golf-5/Interieur/USB-Adapter-VW-Golf-5-6.2402.html

I figured if you can buy it here then someone must have bought one and fitted it - but it seems not. The thing is that I don't have an ipod but another kind of MP3 player. At the moment I am using it with a radio sender. It is OK but on long journeys it needs re-tuning.

look under the thread iPod and USB adapter. I have bought an ipod adapter instead of my CD and a dedicated ipod. Whole thing cost about £250 (second hand ipod) and now I have got all the music I want in the car. Its very neat and is controlled trhough the head unit.

I've got an ipod adaptor fitted in mine - VW main dealer £150 which included fitting. These cannot be used in conjunction with a multiplayer stack system, but the single cd head unit will still work. Ipod sits in the glove box and is charged during use and the ipod is controlled from the head unit/radio. Very good.

Problem is I have not got an ipod.

I have a less well known 20GB MP3 player.

A headphone jack or a USB connection would do the trick.

If I could control it from the head unit that would be superb.

IMHO, the key advantage of having an iPod (as opposed to other MP3 players) is the much better availibility of aftermarket accessories, and this includes manufacturers like VW who sell the iPod adaptor for the RCD300/RCD500 etc.

You'll be waiting a long time for an adaptor that allows control from the head unit for most other models of MP3 players.

actually both an usb and ipod option is available in germany

i have the usb connector as i have a sony hd5 20gb mp3 player but the display only shows 3 albums and wont move to others as there is loads of albums on it. been told of people not to get that much help from dealers as they wont know much as it is a new thing, could there be to much music on the machine to cope with the head unit dont know much about mp3s confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

could there be to much music on the machine to cope with the head unit dont know much about mp3s confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't see that being the reason, I have about 350 Albums on my Phatnoise with no problems.

[ QUOTE ]

I've got an ipod adaptor fitted in mine - VW main dealer £150 which included fitting. These cannot be used in conjunction with a multiplayer stack system, but the single cd head unit will still work. Ipod sits in the glove box and is charged during use and the ipod is controlled from the head unit/radio. Very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will work with the in dash 6 cd player too. (I hope!)

[ QUOTE ]

It will work with the in dash 6 cd player too. (I hope!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup works fine - I had one with my in dash 6 CD player in the GTI beerchug.gif

I've just bought the USB connector from Fischer motorsport which by the shape of it obviously is intended to fit in the centre arm rest (which i have). Neither of the 2 Glasgow dealers appear to know what to do with it (1 says it's a factory fit and said i should contact Fischer to get the cable (but Fischer dont seem interested) despite "Fischer" quoting it as an "easy install". As such i need to provide all the details to the dealer. As the unit i got didnt come with a connecting cable, merely a socket on the unit, does anyone know if the cable for the 6 disc chnager that would go fot into the armrest be what i need to get it connected? Am keen to know also if there are any additional bits i need too i.e internal housing for the armrest...

This is what i have http://www.fischermotorsport.de/VW/VW-Golf-5/Interieur/USB-Adapter-VW-Golf-5-6.2402.html

I find it disgusting that VW are not having this kind of thing as standard.

Dare I say it but a mate of mine has bought a focus and it is equipped with loads more gizmos and was about 2/3 the price of my GTi.

Why have we not got bluetooth and and MP3 compatible stereo. A USB port was not even in the options list as I remember.

I have now had my OEM USB adpator fitted in my armrest for about 8 mths. I use it with usb memory sticks ranging from 0.5GB to 4GB. Essentially the USB adaptor takes on the role of the 6 cd and uses the same dsplay on the headunit. In line with this i created 6 folders on my stick and went about storing my *.wav and *.mp3 music files. The stereo will take a about 15-20 seconds to boot up as it has to read how many files are stored on the stick but once your listening to music it's quick to change to the next track.

It's easy to notice the quality difference with wavs and mp3s.

After about 6 mths the unit has started, with increasingly frequency, to freeze. It will unfreeze if you forward fast for a few seconds or change to radio and back again.

As i listen often to continuos mixes which can be 30MB-180MB i thought perhaps the files were too big but it has started to freeze when listening to shorter (5 mins) tracks.

I have tried different memeory sticks but to no avail.

If anyone has any clues as to what it could be i would be garteful to hear them.

Cheers,

alz

I ordered the USB option with my car from new. For the last six months its done the same as yours. The first memory stick/flash drive was brand new and of a brand approved by VW. I have also tried others.

Some days it will freeze some days its ok. confused.gif

Since then I have had the USB dock replaced (it was back to front).

The head unit has been replaced.

The cable linking the two has been replaced.

My music that I want to be put on the flash has been sent to VW HQ for them to look at and sent back! It was ok, then it started to mess around a few weeks later(I hadn't even put any more music on it!)

VW technical now want to try a new flash drive ........ smashfreakB.gif

BEEN THERE ARGH.......... suicide.gif

Anyway........So I also am having problems. But I don't have a solution yet after nearly 9 months!!!!

Also if it freezes, if I change to radio and back its still frozen. I have to turn the radio OFF and plug it back in.

Anyone have trouble like this with the I-pod connection?

Would the sale of goods act cover this? They have tried to repair it and failed!?

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone have trouble like this with the I-pod connection?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the OEM centre armrest mounted Ipod connection which replaced my 6cd changer. No problems with it at all.

The only downside to it and all the other other Ipod connections is that you cannot access the full range of Ipod control and search facilities on the OEM headunit or see the artist name, album name etc.

The best Ipod connection I have is in another one of my cars where I use a standard Dension Aux in connection to a Nakamichi MB75 6 cd headunit. Using a brodit dashmount and an Ipod Itouch gives you superb control and you can see the albums covers, track and artist names etc. Once you have used an Ipod Itouch the standard Ipod seems very clumsy. The only downside to the Ipod Itouch is the current max capacity of 16gb which is about 1500 tracks at the encoding rate I use.

Apart from the problems I have had, one good feature is that you can put folders of music inside other music folders:-

e.g.

Folder 1

-------Sub folder 1

-------Sub folder 2

Folder 2

-------Subfolder 1

etc.

If you've not had any problems with your armrest usb adaptor could you tell me what USB storage key drive you use or are you using an IPOD/MP3 player with it?

Cheers

So far I have used a generic flash drive and a Buffalo branded drive - recomended by VW.

I've recently installed the Dension IceLink Gateway 300 into my car (06, RCD500).

The GW300 comes with a USB port and IPOD connector so you get the best of both worlds. Works much the same as the OEM units I think except that you can still use the IPOD controls while connected and the headunit can skip by folder, artist or album.

I use a 15Gb HDD in a small enclosure (old laptop drive) and this works a treat. When loaded up takes perhaps a minute to read the index before playng songs.

Doesn't support m4a files on the usb.

So far I'm very happy.

Roger

[ QUOTE ]

If you've not had any problems with your armrest usb adaptor could you tell me what USB storage key drive you use or are you using an IPOD/MP3 player with it?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

What brands have you tried Alzoni?

i tried an Attache branded 4GB i bought fom Ebay and another unbranded 256mb one. Since buying a Buffalo 4GB one 2-3 wks ago i've experienced no problems and am a happy man.

In retrospect the problem appeared to be down to using slower transfer rate flash drives.

al