Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elfudd

HELP!my vw golf gti wont start!!!!!

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.looking for alittle help, my L reg 150k, 2L 8v golf gti wont start off key but will bump start.when i turn the key,i can hear the fuel pump working, the engine chugs,(like its trying to start with no fuel.)have changed over the throttle potensiometer.but no change,i am not a car boffin, just a normal lad looking to boffins for help and advice. thanks. <font color="black"> </font>

Hi - we've got a mk3 8v gti and a couple of weeks ago it just konked out!! Dead - nothing. Towed to my local garage and they said that it was a common fault - the crank sensor had gone. New one bought and fitted for £80 and she's fine again. Ours is a 95 'M' reg with 83k miles.

thanks,do you know where i can find the crank sensor on the car please?

Yeah - its behind and to the right of the oil filter. You have to remove the filter to get access to it.

Make sure you have fuel first. Try staring it - and then remove a plug. If it's wet you have fuel.

did your car have the same symptons as mine does?the chugging etc?regards,fudd

It just konked out. Wouldn't start on the key. Never tried to jump start it. When the crank sensor goes it means no spark at all. In order for me to diagnose the problem on my car I got a mobile diagnostic chap to plug his computer into the car. He pin pointed the problem straigh away and it cost me £30.

great,thanks for that info.much appreciated,ill try have look.

had a good look for this crank sensor,problem is,i cant see anything at all behind the oil filter.plse help!!!fudd