RETRO FITTING DIS AND CRUISE ON A4 B6

paul_tdi

HI! Seems like there are some very clued up people on here so hope they can help! I have just purchased an a4 avant 2.5 tdi quattro sport and would like to fit cruise and DIS. I have sourced a cruise stalk and new lower trim and know that I may have to replace the steering wheel slip ring but believe I need to ground the washer wire etc on the DIS System? Forgive my stupidity if there is a post already explaining it and many thanks in advance for any help! Paul

Did someone mention my name sekret.gif

Welcome to TSN Wrightio. Right - you're going to need:

Cruise stalk (which you already have)

Trim (again, you already have)

Steering wheel Control Module (part number 8E0 953 549 N)

New wiper stalk with DIS buttons on the end (can't remember part no. and it's on my other laptop)

VAG-COM

And a lot of fecking patience!

You also need to connect a pin to Pin 1 of the blue plug that goes into the instrument cluster to ground.

I've done it twice now and it's a bloody big job, to write it up it will be a nightmare (especially with the cruise bit) and as of yet I haven't had time to do it, but if I can be of any help just ask 169144-ok.gif

Hi Mike,

I haven't done this to mine yet, but I do have the sender and I do intend to do it. If all that's needed is a ground to pin 1, then we can presume that running a wire from pin 1 to the sensor, and then to ground will work fine, as the circuit will be closed until there's too little water in the bottle and the circuit is broken, activating the warning.

To get to the washer bottle you need to take off the nearside front wheel, and the cowling on the inside of the wing. The bottle should currently have a bung in place of the sensor, swap it for a sensor and do your best wiring and Bob should be your mother's brother..

HTH 169144-ok.gif

Hi any chance of a definitive explanation of the cruise / dis mod, I have an A4 130 tdi with no cruise or dis, I have now fitted cruise/dis stalks as well as the steering control unit and i have vag-com i just need guidance as to how to program the cruise/dis

help!!!!!!

HI I have esp and abs lights flashing away on the dash, I have changed the steering control module/fitted the cruise stalk and dis stalk, I have vag-com and I understand that i have to reset steering angle sensor, I just need to know the procedure to use the vag-com to reset the steering angle then to activate the cruise and dis

Just for the benefit of all TSN'ers, this is the PM reply I sent to daithihalton when he asked about fitting CC & DIS:

Hi Dave,

When I had the ABS/ESP fault after fitting Cruise and DIS, I was a bit nervous about trying to do anything else, so I took it into my local dealer (where I bought the car from in Jan), and they recoded the SCSM (Steering Control Module) and enabled Cruise for me. They didn't enable DIS, as it caused the low screenwash warning and wanted to return the car back to me with no faults. I've since enabled DIS, and have the screenwash warning back, but it should be a case of grounding a single pin on the back of the instrument cluster to get rid of it (Connector T32 (Blue), Pin 1 to Ground).

As for fixing the ABS/ESP problem yourself, I guess you'd need to do 2 things. The SCSM is the module that is causing the ABS/ESP lights to come on. The ABS unit and traction control systems are coded okay, but since they rely on steering wheel angle data from the SCSM, they cannot function correctly.

The first point, is to recode the SCSM (assuming you have replaced it) with the VIN of your car. I can't remember this off hand, but let me know if you have replaced the SCSM. Otherwise, I guess you've just disconnected everything when you fitted the new stalks, in which case you'd need to do point 2...

When everything is back together, you need to recalibrate the steering wheel angle for the SCSM. The best way to describe this process is simply point you to the Ross-Tech site:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/steeringangle.html

I haven't tried this myself, as like I said earlier, I went to the dealer and paid £30 for them to fix everthing! (very cheap for a stealer!!).

To enable Cruise Control and DIS, you need to do the following:

1) Open VAG-COM (connected to your port and ignition in position II)

2) Click on module '16 - Steering Wheel'

3) Go into 'Recode (07)'

4) The only bit in the code you need to change is the second last digit (i.e. 0xxNx - where N is the bit to change, x are your current values). If you do not currently have CC or DIS, this should be '0'.

5) Make a note of the current coding!!

6) Change N to '4' (i.e. 0xx4x)

6) Click on 'Do it'.

7) Go back to the main 'Select Control Module' screen.

8) Click on the module '17 - Instruments'

9) Go into 'Adaption - 10'

10) Go to channel 19 and click on 'Read'

11) Make a note of the 'Stored Value'.

12) This may be a bit more of a tricky one, so if you are stuck, let me know the stored value and I'll tell you which code to enter. Basically, you'd need to have x12xx, where 'x' is your current value and 12 is the new coding. For help on what this means, try this site:

http://en.openobd.org/audi/a4_8e.htm#17

Then scroll down the part that starts...

"Control Module Adaptation

Select 17 (Instrument Cluster)

Adaptation -> Function 10

-> Channel 19 (Misc)"

That's about all I know at the moment Dave. Though if you didn't have Cruise or DIS before, and haven't changed your SCSM module (mounted above the steering wheel column), then you need to check the version number of the SCSM to make sure it supports Cruise and DIS.

[ QUOTE ]

If I had three weeks, I'd gladly write one grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ben - I've been away a lot recently and have hardly had a chance to look on TSN, nevermind do write-ups blush.gif I'll see if I can convert the above post to write up this week, so I may PM you for any more info that you have if that's okay?

169144-ok.gif

Again - I've never tried this, but from the VAG-COM label files, you'd need to enter the learning code in adaption mode:

;---------------------------------------------------

;

; adaptation information

;

;---------------------------------------------------

;

;

A081,0,Learned Values (Vehicle Data)

A081,5,Learned Values (Vehicle Data)

A081,6,To start the process for vehicle data (VIN)

A081,7,learning enter/save 00111 as new value.

;

From this, I would assume you'd go into module 16 (Steering Wheel), then adaption, then go to channel 81, and enter 00111 and then save. Presumably, that would make the SCSM learn your car's VIN. If this doesn't work, it may be worth posting something on the VAG-COM forum. They guy that actually wrote VAG-COM sometimes posts on there so he may be able to help. 169144-ok.gif

Mitchet - of course, that's fine smile.gif We should get together on a free Saturday (what's one of those?) and use our collective knowledge to write a document, I've tried a couple of times but just can't get into it crazy.gif

daithihalton: If you've changed the SCSM and you got that with the cruise and DIS stalks, can I presume they were from a breaker's yard and therefore off another car? If that's the case then you will need to work out the correct coding for the module. Before you can code it, you must log in.

See here for how to work out your login code. If you get the login code incorrect, you will get "Connection lost due to dropped session" error and you will have to turn the ignition off, take the key out, and start again.

Note: Your brakes are likely to be 15" (FN3 15")

Likely login (4 cyl manual petrol engine) would be 09575

Alter the last two digits depending on your engine and transmission.

Once you have logged in correctly, you need to code the module. Formulate your coding from the same web page.

Likely coding (again manual 4cyl petrol engine) would be 04275. Again alter the last two digits to your engine/transmission.

When you have done that, DO NOT CLOSE THE CONTROLLER. If you do, you'll have to do it again. I found that out the hard way, several times.

Now complete the steering angle sensor recalibration as detailed on the Ross Tech site

Remember, don't close the controller before you do this, it must be done in the same session.

[Fault Codes - 02]

[Done, Go Back]

Turn steering wheel at least 30 ° left and back straight ahead.

[Meas. Blocks - 08]

Group 005 Field 1 (Steering Angle Sensor -G85-)

Specification: 0.0 °

Tolerance (when straight): ±5.0 ° (Note - When the steering wheel is straight the value shown should be -5 - +5 degrees, set it inbetween these values and leave it there for the rest of the procedure)

[Done, Go Back]

[Login - 11]

Enter 40168

[Do It!]

[basic Settings - 04]

Group 001

[Go!]

[Done, Go Back]

[Fault Codes - 02]

All fault codes should have disappeared.

[Done, Go Back]

[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

If you've done it correctly, your brake warnings should now go away.

While I'm here I might as well steal Mitchet's DIS and Cruise bits too, to keep them all together.

Go to module 16 - Steering Wheel

Recode

Change the second to last digit (i.e. 0xxNx - where N is the bit to change, x are your current values). If you do not currently have CC or DIS, this should be '0'.

Make a note of the current coding!!

Change N to '4' (i.e. 0xx4x)

Test

Click on 'Do it'.

Go to module 17 - Instruments

Go into 'Adaption - 10'

Go to channel 19 and click on 'Read'

Make a note of the 'Stored Value'.

Change value to x10xxx where x is the same as it was.

Test

Click on 'Do It'

Now you should have DIS - you will have the washer warning on the DIS, which Mitchet quite rightly explained how to extinguish.

To finish the job - go to module 01 - Engine

Login

Enter 11463

Click on 'Do It'

Cruise is now activated.

Hope this helps, if you struggle any further then let either myself or Mitchet know, I'm sure we'll both do our best to help 169144-ok.gif

excellent run down I have now got rid of the warning lights and hopefully over the weekend activate the cruise / dis i ordered the windscreen washer level sensor and seal from my local dealer so i am waiting to install that before activating

again thanks to you and mitchet for the info

Thanks everyone for all the information posted on this topic! Hopefully should get all the parts sorted soon. Had a go at starting tonight only to find that my steering module is post fixed with the letter f!! Martyn at VAGPARTS advised me that Audi dont list this module. I double checked by using VAG.COM and it shows the F not N as the local stealer told me according to their database! Gutted as was hoping to avoid having to code a new item to my car as had little use on the VAG programming! Will be ordering the new tomorrow another 100 quid to keep quiet about from the Missus!!!

Has anyone programmed a new key both remote and immobilser before? At present I do not have the SKC from Audi as yet, just wandering if it can be done DIY?

Cheers all for all the help etc again! Its a shame that my module was not compatible as up your way this weekend Ben!! Hey ho, strangely it would appear that the module in my car had no pins in it at all for the cruise attachment!

look forward to getting the module and then spending a while blagging my way through the programming!!!

As a thought I guess I could get all the info from my current module as a basis for the new codes that I will need to put in the new module?

Paul

Paul, just a quick comment to confirm that (as you said), you can note down the coding from your current ABS and Steering Wheel modules. It'll help when coming to recode them again.

If you need any help from us, you know where we all are! 169144-ok.gif

HI Mitchet,

No problems! Just ordering my new module as we speak from VAG Parts so hope to have it soon then the fun begins!! confused.gif Hopefully it will all get sorted soon! I never realised that on later models unless u get the SE spec there are quite a few useful mods I miss. Some are really petty such as the vanity mirror lights but I do miss the lights in the door bases and the DIS/Cruise which my last A4 had!

Her indoors cant quite grasp how we can spend so much on a second hand car then have to get these bits sourced but I did explain that we most definitely could not afford a new one and sourcing a second hand one is hard enough nevermind the exact spec u want!!

[ QUOTE ]

Her indoors cant quite grasp how we can spend so much on a second hand car then have to get these bits sourced but I did explain that we most definitely could not afford a new one and sourcing a second hand one is hard enough nevermind the exact spec u want!!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Absolutely! When I found the car I have now at the stealers, it had the right engine, the right gearbox, it was the right colour and had the sport kit. It didn't have many optional extras (in fact, only a 6 disc changer and an armrest!)... but I bought it on the basis that I could retrofit the bits that I wanted (and told my other half this from the start! grin.gif - so she's not too surprised when she comes out and sees my car in pieces!!).

hi ALL!

Thanks again Ben for all your help the other and i hope I did not keep you from your beer too long!!

Spoke to my stealer today and basically they were as helpful as camel pissed on stella??!! openfire.gifopenfire.gif

They reckon the soonest they can squeeze me in is two weeks away so hope to get it sorted b4 then!

at a bit of a loss as the cruise stalk works fine via the control module and VAG.com gives all the results expected. The problem seems to be at the ECU end so it may be that the login code etc to activate cruise is different on the 2.5's? Spending hours scouring the net etc but to no real joy so taken the plunge and bought some "backup" DVDS off good old ebay!!

I suspect that perhaps VAG.com with the baloon prompts may help?!

Ha sanyone had any success installing cruise recently that could give any pointers....??

Cheers for any help!

Paul

HI Ben,

Hope u r recovering well! Too much help with peoples cars!!

Right the latest - still no cruise!!! mad.gif

I swapped back top the original module as a matter of course as we have tried all we can and check the original settings and as if by magic they were the same etc! Bummer

Then when I put all the new stuff back on hey presto not even the DIS worked!!! sportifs2.gif

BUT I can now activate and program that after follwoing your posts so feel free to send people my way etc if anyone needs help on DIS but stuff cruise! Flush.gif

All is lost on that front so hope to visit me local Audi department this Saturday am and suggest that they sort it as I feel that it may be something more sinister like something not working somewhere so will let you know as soon as I have any ideas!!

Have a good weekend matey!

Paul