RETRO FITTING DIS AND CRUISE ON A4 B6

paul_tdi

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a B7 and am intending to get this mod done/;maybe do it myself. Am i reading it correct that the B7 already had a wire from the cluster to the footwell? therefore you just connected a repair loom from the washer sensor to that?

Yes, my '07 B7 already had the wire from the instrument cluster to the black multi-plug.

Yes, a repair wire in to the black multi-plug, through the bulk head grommet, along the top of the wing and in to the sensor in the washer bottle.

Very easy indeed. I don't see why you wouldn't want to do this if you have enabled DIS; I think this is a very important safety feature... I had a hire car a couple of weeks ago and the water ran out without any warning whilst I was on the M1... 6 miles with a filthy windscreen with sun on the windscreen was not good...

Yes, my '07 B7 already had the wire from the instrument cluster to the black multi-plug.

Yes, a repair wire in to the black multi-plug, through the bulk head grommet, along the top of the wing and in to the sensor in the washer bottle.

What colour was the wire in the black multiplug that I need to connect the repair wire to?

Edited by MkV_GTI99

I have a B7 and am hoping to fit my new DIS wiper stalk in the next couple of days.

When I've removed the panel under the steering column, and the cowling, can I see the infamous wire in PIN 1 of the blue connector or do I need to remove something else as well in order to get to the connector?

Reason for asking - I have the parts required to install the washer bottle sensor, but was thinking of doing it in two jobs, i.e. fit the stalk, reassemble, code it in with my VAGCOM, then (as a separate job sometime) connect a repair wire to the correct wire in the black multiplug behind the glovebox, run it to the washer bottle sensor, then another wire to ground etc.

Can I do this or do I need to do the whole lot in one go? Surely, as I have a B7, not a B6, the wire should hopefully already be there (i.e. from PIN 1 in the blue connector, all the way to the black multiplug).

Help much appreciated!

Dave

Hi Guys,

Sorry I have read throught this thread and see some great input, however, I would just like to confirm what I'm going to need for my B7 avant s-line which has cruise but no DIS; as I have read it I'll need:

The DIS wiper stalk

Vagcom to enable

plus an additional sensor for water bottle level to prevent a perminant washer display, wired most likely from the glovebox.

If I have that right where does the current washer low display get it's generated signal from and why can't this be reused?

Has anyone attempted auto-wipers? I'd like the sunroof to auto-close with rain if I've left it open.

Last one, anyone any experience with Celtic Tuning and the 2.0 TDi 140?

(sorry probably should have been 3 seperate threads)

Thanks in advance

Bushman

I have a B7 and am hoping to fit my new DIS wiper stalk in the next couple of days.

When I've removed the panel under the steering column, and the cowling, can I see the infamous wire in PIN 1 of the blue connector or do I need to remove something else as well in order to get to the connector?

Reason for asking - I have the parts required to install the washer bottle sensor, but was thinking of doing it in two jobs, i.e. fit the stalk, reassemble, code it in with my VAGCOM, then (as a separate job sometime) connect a repair wire to the correct wire in the black multiplug behind the glovebox, run it to the washer bottle sensor, then another wire to ground etc.

Can I do this or do I need to do the whole lot in one go? Surely, as I have a B7, not a B6, the wire should hopefully already be there (i.e. from PIN 1 in the blue connector, all the way to the black multiplug).

Help much appreciated!

Dave

Pin 1 is in the blue multiplug that goes into the back of the dashboard on the left hand side, so you would need to remove this multiplug to gain access.

Just retrofitted DIS to my B7 A4 Avant yesterday, including fitting the washer bottle sensor. Couldn't find the red & brown wire in the passenger footwell (where is the black multiplug exactly?) but otherwise all went fine. I ended up running the sensor wire all the way to the blue multiplug behind the Instrument cluster and using a Scotchlock to connect it to the red & brown wire there. I didn't need to remove the cluster, as you can access the blug plug from underneath when you have the large lower trim removed (i.e. drivers's footwell).

You need to remove the lower half of the washer bottle to fit the sensor as it's on the side of the bottle facing the front of the car. It's a pig to get back on!

Also, when trying to push your two sensor wires through the grommet in the bulkhead, attach a short piece of wire to them first - it's almost impossible to push them all the way through otherwise.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences on here - it certainly helped, it would have taken forever without all the hints & tips etc.

The VAG-COM coding went well (I bought the full VAG-COM last week) - had to recalibrate the Steering Angle sensor but that's a doddle to do.

If anyone wants any further help, just post on here or PM me - or if you want any VAG-COM coding done, let me know (I'm in Hinckley, Leicestershire).

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, this is a great thread, I think I'll tackle DIS, washer bottle sensor and cruise on my Audi A4 B6 (8E14)! I've just 2 questions:

1) Will a cheap VagCom 4.09 USB cable from Vag Products and the free VAG-COM Release 311-2 from Ross-Tech allow me to do all the recoding necessary for DIS and cruise?

2) How can I check the PN of the steering wheel control module to see if I need to change it (I presume I do as I don't have DIS/Cruise/MF steering wheel).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Forgive me for following you around ;)

An old "dumb" VAG-COM lead will allow you to do the coding providing that you buy a license for the software from Ross-Tech. The shareware version will not allow you to code the car.

You can check the part number using VAG-COM or by taking the steering column top cowling off and having a look at the part number on the controller, however if you don't already have cruise or MFSW then you will definitely have to change the controller I'm afraid.

Hope that helps :)

Hi Guys, just reading through this thread and I came across the issue with the clutch pedal switch which would not let cruise activate if not replaced / bypassed. Does anyone know the PN of the new switch required to enable cruise, of can someone tell me how to bypass the existing switch. By the way, what does the existing switch do and what will happen if it is bypassed? This is for an A4 B6.

Cheers.

Much like the brake switches, the clutch switch can fail to operate. This generally goes unnoticed until you try to do something like fit cruise! You don't need to change the switch to activate cruise - it was that the car in question had a failed switch in the "down" position, which was making the car think that the clutch pedal was constantly pressed down. As the cruise cuts off when you press the clutch or brake, this was causing an issue.

If you do find that this is a problem during the install and you are sure you have done the coding correctly, you could bridge the two pins on the clutch switch connector to close the circuit which will make the car think that the clutch is up/not being pressed and allow the cruise to activate.

HTH +++

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm in a bit of trouble here! I'm half way through installing and DIS and cruise. I'm trying to disconnect the blue connector at the left hand side (back) of the speedo dispaly - but I can't disconnect it! is there a knack to it? Do you have to remove the speedo display?

Also, how do you know which pin is pin one? Anyone got a photo? If not don't worry.

Any help greatly appreciated as I'd like to finish up today before dark.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys excellent forum, just got my A4 Avant quattro 2.5 tdi 2003 but mis the DIS that my b5 had.

the control module is 8E0 953 549 S cant work out if this will allow me to code in the DIS and CC or just DIS, does any one know or should i try it, the reason is Audi do a CC kit that includes the controller (£145) but if i don't need it the stalk is £26 alone

Thanks

I have a parts list and current price for you info (A4 avant 2003)black stalk and trim

repair wire for pin 1 000-979-009 £1.28 in stock

DIS stalk 4E0 953 503 G 4PK £72.36 2 days

cruse control stalk 4E0 953 521 B 4PK £26.50 2 days

trim for cc lower 8E0 953 512 P 6PS £25.29 2 days

Screws x2 N 909 068 02 £0.20 2 days

Washer bottle sensor: 7M0 919 376 £6.49 2 days

Contact Housing (plug): 1J0 973 202 £4.69 2 days

Connector Wires sensor : 000 979 133A £1.28 2 days

• 3 weeks later...
When i did the reto-fit the cable i put to ground i left long enough (coiled up) just to the top of the fuse box to allow enough to connect to washer bottle in the future if i get the sensor,save taking the cluster back out.

Vanduara37, whereabout in Scotland are you. I would like to retrofit Cruise and DIS or just DIS and was wondering if your are close to Aberdeen and see if you can spare sometime to help me out. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi shark, I got a Q module in ebay. The seller said it did have cruise function. What do you think?

Do i need to disconnect the battery before i take the steering wheel and airbag off? Is there any links with pictures showing disassembly process.

I appreciate very much of your contributions.

I've never seen a Q module so I'm not sure. Yes you need to disconnect the battery before you touch the airbag. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of any of the installations.

If you have any trouble with the installation just post on here and I will do my best to help +++