Golf GTI on Fifth gear!

Markallain

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody stupid comparison!

They obviously thought the lap times between the GTi and the Skoda were going to be really close, but ended up with the GTi being over a second faster, so there was nothing to report.

So they came up with an utterly pointless test of which car went round the track in reverse the fastest.

Yeah, because there are loads of people who buy cars because of their speed in reverse.

Think I'll be sticking to Top Gear from now on.

The only thing I find surprising is that you find it surprising that Fifth Gear is rubbish! grin.gif

I wouldn't say the Golf is necessarily the better car. It would undoubtedly be quicker than the Octavia vRS around Ty Croes (that's the circuit they use, on Anglesey), though I think it'd be by a few tenths rather than a whole second.

For those who don't need the extra space (the Golf isn't exactly tiny), want that slight extra 'edge', and prefer the Golf's styling then obviously the GTI is the better choice.

For everybody else, the vRS is cheaper, bigger, more practical and has 95% of the dynamic ability. (And in that blue I think it looks fantastic).

P.S. The vRS would be an even better choice if it had the DSG option - anyone know why it doesn't/if it will?

P.P.S. There's a diesel Octavia vRS coming soon - that will be a superb car... I'd hazard a guess it'll be quicker in real world driving than the petrol.

Caught the end of it, GTI looked awesome.

I was busy calming down my wife after i electrocuted myself on a lightswitch i was replacing...

...then i drilled through a central heating main this morning (the day i'm having carpet fitted) crazy.gif No DIY disasters for 5yrs then 2 in 2 days!!!! EEK2.GIF

oops, slightly off topic, but i'm alive and still able to drive my GTI, which was on 5th gear last night... back on topic! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Garcon, your avatar sums up exactly how i feel... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, that was the funniest thing evAr in TG though! When May comes across that low bridge "oh cock" still makes me laugh.

I haven't seen the 5th Gear, but I'll get hold of it and see what I think. Not that I like Needell as I think he's a cock tbh.

Tiff is a bit annoying as a presenter it has to be said, but what saves him is his undoubted skill as a driver, whether it's being genuinely quick or larking about with the showboating stuff.

As a current (and younger) racer, Plato is probably a bit quicker, but Tiff is The Boss when it comes to getting a car to play to the camera... grin.gif

I agree that Tiff is a good driver, but he appears to know nothing about the cars that he reviews. At least Clarkson is funny and knows nothing, Tiff is just an annoying little twunt who still hangs onto what he had as a racing career. Plus Plato is a skilled driver, but he's very average when compared to other professionals, just look at him barging his way past in BTCC...

p.s. they're both significantly better than me though frown.gif