Adios, but not goodbye...........

encee

Yes gents, unfortunately the time has come for me to say goodbye to my beloved GTI.

I`ve not had it long at all, only 5 months to be precise, but the missus and me have another little `un arriving at the end of the year, which`ll make 3 of the ankle-biters, so, we need more doors, and more room in the back.

To say I`ll miss the GTI is an understatement, and the thought of getting something else makes me more nervous by the day, as mine, in it`s re-mapped state, is, quite simply, bonkers ! And it seems to get quicker by the day. notworthy.gif

Anyway, I`m not defecting completely (hopefully), as I`m VERY keen on the Audi A4, and the new S-line special edition they`re currently doing, which has the same engine as the GTI, but with power increased to 220 PS. Yeah, I know it`s heavier than the GTI, but you get my drift........

When I say "hopefully", I say that because the new BMW 325 M-Sport is also in the frame for me. Again, 220bhp, coupled with rear-wheel drive should be pretty good, but I`ve yet to road-test either of them (A4 booked for this Friday 169144-ok.gif)

Anyway, even when I`ve moved-on car-wise, I`ll still be nosing around in here, and on the other TSN forums, so please don`t shun me, `coz I`ve no longer got a GTI ........ grin.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Damn mate, sorry to see you getting rid of the car!

But you've got some good choices there, I like the A4, but personally I'd got for the BMW... smile.gif

Take it easy fella

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that Steve. 169144-ok.gif

Shame really, because I`ve not a bad thing to say about my GTI, what more could you want............looks good, fast, comfortable, economical, practical.

Everything really (apart from a bit more room in the back, and 4 doors).

I`ll be really sad to see it go.........

Never mind, I`ll still be in and out of here, and I`ll be watching with interest to see which of you buys the 30th, with those new black wheels.... grin.gif

Oh, and get your re-map done Stevie, I promise, you won`t look back mate.

Cheers. 169144-ok.gif

I owned an A4 prior to my GTI and there's less room in the back than the golf! I'm 6'3" and when driving the A4 there was no room for a passenger to sit behind me whereby there is in the GTI....

If you're looking for more space in the back then i'd also look at the BMW or the Passat (they even do a 2.0 FSI-T wink.gif)_

I can understand you needing 4 doors, encee but there's plenty of room in the back of the GTI. I regularly carry 3 teenage girls in the back (jailbait!). Personally I'd choose a BMW over an Audi any day, but only you know what suits you best.

Catch ya later 169144-ok.gif.

Let us know how selling your GTI goes.

[ QUOTE ]

I owned an A4 prior to my GTI and there's less room in the back than the golf! I'm 6'3" and when driving the A4 there was no room for a passenger to sit behind me whereby there is in the GTI....

I agree. I've just got rid of an A4 Avant. I'm 6'1" and the kids (2 teenage girls) always argued about who was going to sit behind me!! I've now got a 5 door GTi and the arguments have stopped!!

Re: Audi v BMW - Audi any day. BMW - now that is one heck of an ugly mother!! shocked.gif

Thanks for the send-off gents, and some interesting replies there ! 169144-ok.gif

Regarding the Audi, it sounds like I`m going to have to check thoroughly on the space in the rear, to see how it compares with the GTI.

I`ve also now arranged a test-drive in a 325 M-Sport on Thursday (with the A4 S-line on Friday), so I`ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]

I know it does not have the badge but a look at a octavia vRS maybe worth it they felt Huge to me compared to the golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a great shout IMO - and nothing to do with the recent Top Gear comparison. The Octavia vRS has to be a good package based on the shared parts and need for it to be a decent product to survive. And still ripe for the remap on the 2.0T FSI 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the send-off gents, and some interesting replies there ! 169144-ok.gif

Regarding the Audi, it sounds like I`m going to have to check thoroughly on the space in the rear, to see how it compares with the GTI.

I`ve also now arranged a test-drive in a 325 M-Sport on Thursday (with the A4 S-line on Friday), so I`ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate,

Currently have an A4 2.oT S-Line whilst our car is in for warranty work. I was really impressed with the grunt the engine provides and it has made me want to test out a GTI even more now.

In my opinion the audi lacked steering feel, understeered a little too much and the brakes were still not giving as much feel as I would like.

having said that it was peeing it down over the weekend when I gave it some stick.

I have not driven a new shape 3 series but from the previous ones I have had (only 316 and 320) they tend to feel like the better drivers car. My money would be on the 325 sport.

Having said that the Audi was a very nice car and considering it was an auto went very well. Now if it was an RS4 grin.gif

At the end of the day I am sure the test drive will bring out your favourite. Good luck either way mate 169144-ok.gif

Cheers Magrillz !

The A4 I`m testing on Friday has the 220 PS engine in it, so I`m expecting it to have quite a bit of grunt, and I`m hoping it doesn`t feel TOO disimilar from my GTI, but we`ll see.............

I`ve noted your comments re. the 325 M-Sport as well, and as the test-drive`s tomorrow for that one, I`ll be more equipped to reply to that one by this time tomorrow, all being well.

Thanks for your input, bud. 169144-ok.gif

Okay, been and done the 325 M-Sport today, and........................disappointed !

But only in the engine. Although the power output is at 218 bhp, it didn`t have anything like the same pull that I expected for a 2.5 engine, although it does sound VERY sweet at higher revs.

Handling: This was completely the opposite, and better than I expected, as it`s nigh-on perfect IMO ! The grip is excellent, as is the turn-in speed, as, being rear wheel driven, it will just tighten it`s line, whenever required. The suspension was something of a revelation, and was, quite simply, the best I`ve ever been on. It is lowered and stiffened on the M-Sport models, but the damping is just about perfect, as it`s comfortable enough to iron out the bumps and potholes, but firm enough to enable hustling of the car down your favourite backroad, without getting skittish, or excitable. The brakes were also superb, with just the right amount of progression in them, ie: not too grabby straight away, but firming up beautifully, without any fuss or drama.

Exterior/Interior: The exterior looks are subjective, I know, and you`ll know if you like them, or not. IMO, the car looks great, and subtly aggressive, without being "in yer face". I particularly like the front end, and in M-Sport guise, with the lowered suspension, the 18` alloys sit nicely in the arches, without looking too "bling".

The interior was well-finished, and of good quality, but if I have one crticism, it`s of the dashboard, which looks a little bland, due to the excess space on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

"Oh well", I thought, "lovely car, spoilt by an underwhelming engine".

Then the dealer said those immortal words "Try something else while you`re here", and I did..................Enter "THE BEAST".

You`ll probably laugh when I say this, but it was a bloody diesel ! A BMW 330d M-Sport, to be precise, but my God, what an engine ! With 369 lbs/ft of torque, this thing pulls like a bloody train, honestly, there`s overtaking power everywhere. It eclipses my beloved GTI for in-gear grunt, and even my last car, a Scooby STI PPP. The figures give you some idea: 0-62 in 6.7 secs, and an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. Power output is 231 bhp.

That good, honestly. And married with that chassis, suspension and brakes..............it was awesome, and I loved it.

So, tomorrow is the turn of the A4 S-line Special Edition, with the 2.0 FSI engine, re-mapped to 220 PS. It`s going to have to be VERY special to divert me away from the Beemer.

We`ll see............................ 169144-ok.gif

(Oh, and if you`re still awake; thanks for reading all this. coffee.gifgrin.gif)

Exterior/Interior

[ QUOTE ]

You`ll probably laugh when I say this, but it was a bloody diesel ! A BMW 330d M-Sport, to be precise, but my God, what an engine ! With 369 lbs/ft of torque, this thing pulls like a bloody train, honestly, there`s overtaking power everywhere. It eclipses my beloved GTI for in-gear grunt,

[/ QUOTE ]

Laugh? I don't think so. I had a little fun with one a few weeks ago, I tried to keep up with him from a standing start, I managed to stay with him up to about 120 (kmh officer sekret.gifgrin.gif ). I had to hit the red line in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th shocked.gif. I couldn't catch him, but then again he couldn't pull away either. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

330d bowdown.gif my choice without a doubt. 325i dissapointed me too, no fun below 4k revs!!! Suspension is something else on those M sports!

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't someone say that the 330d has similar real world performance to the old M3? Kinda believable with all those torques 169144-ok.gif

Anyway, even if it doesn't, cracking motor imho cool.gif

Glad you like the beemer. I take it we are talking new shape 3 series then, is there a 330 petrol available at the moment as I have been out in the older E46 330ci and it felt quite quick.

Not sure how long you could hold off for but may be worth waiting for?! 169144-ok.gif

friends im another GTI owner who is intending to replace his GTI.

Im intending to change my GTI due to the size, since now i need a bigger car for family purposes.

it really feels bad to get rid of my beloved GTI, but i have no other choice.

i have test driven the Mercedes C280 and the bmw 325i 2007, and beleive me no way to compare to the GTI's feeling.

both cars did not make you feel the pleasure of the MK5.

i think i will go for the BMW 330i new model, at least she may make it up for me , but surely will never forget the GTI.

this will happen if i replace it in the summer, otherwise i will be still enjoying it till the end of the year jump.gif