What's all this about - hidding speed cameras agai

Ritey

I know this is going to be pointing out the obvious, but very few hi-vis cameras are on the motorway apart from in roadworks. The majority are in 30/40/50/NSL limits.

If you drive up to the speed limit, you won't get caught. Simple!

The only place where I consider it safe to break the speed limit (on some occasions) are motorways.

The police must have found a big shortfall in their budgets, thus reviving what is basically a license to print money.

Sneaky sneaky carefully tucked away cameras...nice little earner!

The threat of a camera & subsequent points is a far better deterrent IMO. People see the "sneaky" last minute, slam on the anchors, and hey presto you have a pile-up!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No sh1t, sherlock. SLEEP5.GIF

Lets have a million speed cameras then eh. Gee, that'll be fun. smashfreakB.gif

tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If they fancied putting a million speed cameras in 30/40/50/NSL Zones that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I also stick to the 20/30/40/50 limits whether there are cameras present or not, but I am very strongly against the 60/70 limits being applied irrespectively of traffic and road conditions. I think that most TSNers feel the same way cos we are mostly very focussed drivers who both enjoy and know our own cars and limits.

IMO hidden cams deffo = more accidents. The authorities are simply stupid. They don't earn any respect as far as I'm concerned.

Funny....As I get older I seem to get more rebellious!

[ QUOTE ]

I also stick to the 20/30/40/50 limits whether there are cameras present or not, but I am very strongly against the 60/70 limits being applied irrespectively of traffic and road conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly how I feel about it; if I'm on a road I know well in a capable car that I know well and traffic conditions permit 'making good progress', why should I be artificially restrained to a speed limit set when cars were far worse handling and braking than they are today?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No sh1t, sherlock. SLEEP5.GIF

Lets have a million speed cameras then eh. Gee, that'll be fun. smashfreakB.gif

tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If they fancied putting a million speed cameras in 30/40/50/NSL Zones that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

pssstttt, NSL is what is applied to motorways wink.gif

It's also perfectly safe to speed on NSL roads WHEN the conditions are correct.

Yes we all know that speeding is against the law, but it's the law that I have a problem with. 70mph in a 60mph limit is NOT unsafe in a well looked after car, if you're alert and if the road conditions are suitable to do those speeds. Likewise it may be unsafe to do 30mph on a motorway during heavy snow. This is what the government seem to ignore, they convey the message that if you're doing the speed limit then you can't have an accident, it's only those people who speed who are envolved in accidents. This is clearly not the case.

I'm not saying that I'm the best driver in the world, nor on TSN for that matter, but I would bet my life that I'm a safer driver whilst doing 70mph in a 60mph limit, than most dawdlers who are sitting at 50mph and looking 10m in front of their car... znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, it's not that simple. Are you trying to tell me that every single day you drive at exactly the speed limit on all roads? I very much doubt it. The Police are not allowed to entrap you in ways other than with speed camera, so why should they be different? "Safety" cameras are highly visible, there's big signs, and you slow down as a result. Hidden speed cameras don't slow you down, cos you don't know they are there. They just take your picture without you realising. How the hell does that make the roads safer?

It doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Gordans Ramsays method work with cling film? I'm going to try the Dutch trick of the builders foam in the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

The foam trick is an old burglers trick sekret.gif for disabling alarm boxes. Turn up in overalls with a ladder when householder is on holiday, squirt said foam into alarm bell box, come back next day, break into house, alarm doesn't go off cos the builders foam has expanded and wrecked the alarm bell.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Gordans Ramsays method work with cling film? I'm going to try the Dutch trick of the builders foam in the hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

The foam trick is an old burglers trick sekret.gif for disabling alarm boxes. Turn up in overalls with a ladder when householder is on holiday, squirt said foam into alarm bell box, come back next day, break into house, alarm doesn't go off cos the builders foam has expanded and wrecked the alarm bell.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't work anymore. That was for old "bell" boxes where there was physically a bell inside it, or electronic ones without double protection. Bell boxes now have anti-foam measures.

I've seen 4 speed cameras round our area set alight in the space of 2 weeks.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't work anymore. That was for old "bell" boxes where there was physically a bell inside it, or electronic ones without double protection. Bell boxes now have anti-foam measures.

I've seen 4 speed cameras round our area set alight in the space of 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/puts overalls away and cancels TP order for builders foam. pengy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The thing is, it's not that simple. Are you trying to tell me that every single day you drive at exactly the speed limit on all roads? I very much doubt it. The Police are not allowed to entrap you in ways other than with speed camera, so why should they be different? "Safety" cameras are highly visible, there's big signs, and you slow down as a result. Hidden speed cameras don't slow you down, cos you don't know they are there. They just take your picture without you realising. How the hell does that make the roads safer?

It doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't break the speed limits in 30/40/50 mph limits, and if I did, I would happily hold my hands up if I was caught as I would deserve the points/fine.

I don't always stick to 70mph on the M-Way, no, as I feel it is safe to travel a little faster sometimes when the visability is good and traffic light.

However, I stick by my point that in 30/40/50 limits I will stick to the limit without exceeding it and so should everyone else, those limits are there for a reason. If you break the speed limit in a clearly designated 30/40/50 limit and get caught thats your own fault!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not exactly an advocate for speed cameras, I hate the bloody things, but my point is that if you stick to the posted speed limits you won't get caught.

Motorways and dual-carraigeways are an entirely different matter znaika.gif

You can honestly say, hand on heart, that in all 30/40/50 areas, you stick to the speed limit? You're in a minority if you can. I try my very best to do this, but fail as sometimes the flow of the traffic means you go faster, sometimes you just don't realise you're speed. I find it difficult to believe anyone constantly sticks to the speed limit at all times on all roads though.

[ QUOTE ]

You can honestly say, hand on heart, that in all 30/40/50 areas, you stick to the speed limit? You're in a minority if you can. I try my very best to do this, but fail as sometimes the flow of the traffic means you go faster, sometimes you just don't realise you're speed. I find it difficult to believe anyone constantly sticks to the speed limit at all times on all roads though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well of course sometimes one drifts over, but speed camers don't tend to go off until a few mph over the limit anyway - do they? I don't know, I'd have thought a 30mph camera wouldn't flash until ~34/35mph which allows a margin of error! Also, most speedos are 2-3mph out anyway so you have an additional margin of error built in!

I won't speed in 30mph limits, this is something I'm absolutely strict about. 40mph limits I may stray a few mph over, but only if not in a town / no pedestrians / visability excellent. I rarely encounter 50mph limits where I live!

If I got caught doing over the limit in a 40 zone, then I'd hold up my hands and say fair cop. I don't think grey cameras are hard to spot and unless they start painting them in camoflage colours I cant see any problem. If they're hiding behind trees and bushes then fair enough - children could also hide there and run out in front of you. If you haven't got total 100% visability (ie you would see the camera) then no excuse for speeding (more than the casual couple of mph over the limit).

has anyone ever been done by the Helicopter cops in Derbyshire??

I had a rather spirited drive over the tops from Belper to Macclesfield: Via Gellia and Cat N Fiddle - last weekend and there were a few signs saying dont speed due to helicopter speed enforcement.

Now the weather was so bad that i thought there would be no way that the chopper would be out, so i (think!!) i was ok, but got me thinking - is this an urban myth??

I mean the cost of putting a chopper up must be astronomical compared to the revenue generated by catching a few bikes / cars??? confused.gif

I think there should be VARIED limits imposed and enforced outside schools when children might be out and about - i.e. going to/from ad lunchtimes - they do this in Aussie and you slow to 40kph - it works!!! Once out of the zone, you are ok for 60kph. 169144-ok.gif

That is the one thing (well, one of!!) that gets my back up - people speeding in very built up small narrow street where kids might play and speeding past schools / shop areas. Total feckwits.