speedo not working on MK IV Golf

skifly

My sister just gave me a call as her car speedo is not working - aparrently it keeps jumping all over the place every so often. I suggested she check fuses but to be honest if a fuse had gone i would expect it all to be dead??

Any ideas - its a MK IV 1.4 Golf if i am correct? Really dont want to get it into the stealers as no warranty left plus she is a blonde student prime for a stealers bull dung.gif

Any ideas guys??

beerchug.gif

The fact it is twitching suggests a failing speedo cable - although I am suprised as I would expect it to be driven electrically.

I would remove the clocks (only 2 screws) & see if a cable is coming up to the them to drive the speedo if so then a new cable is what you need - if it is electronic then I would suggest checking for chaffed wiring down by the gear box as that is where it will take its feed from & the fact it is twitching suggests and intermittent fault.

If you do have a cable drive you will proably find you can pull the insert out and just replace the actual cable rather than the cable & sleeve.

If you disconnect the wiring to the clocks make sure you don't get turn the key in the ignition or the airbag light will come on & you will need a trip to the dealer or vagcom to reset this.

HTH

Martin

here is the quote from her email she just sent - might help...?

[ QUOTE ]

I think the car has an electrial problem with the speedo. It seems very unresponsive when im braking, and when i accelorate, it moves up, but then flicks down to 0 and generally flicks around from about 20mph below to 20mph above the approximate speed im doing. When i change gear it drops drastically, even tho my speed does not drop at all. I was doing about 20mph this morning and it said i was doing 60!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

• 3 weeks later...

well the dealer wants £200 to put it on the computer to do a diagnostic (Mk4 golf) then plus the parts for whatever seems to be the problem.

She has been drving it like it is since my first post which is obviously pretty unsafe. Any ideas what could be causing it or anyone around leeds today with VAGCOM (if it even works with it!!)