18 inch tyre choice

scamp

I have recently bought an A4 1.8T Sline (190BHP) and need to change the front tyres. It cu7rrently runs on Pireeli P Zero which make a lot of road noise and have never had good grip. What do others with 18 inch wheels suggest I might get instead?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome to Tyresmoke 169144-ok.gif

My vote would be for Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s. Fantastic grip in all weather conditions, no tramlining whatsoever and low overall road noise. I'm still breaking a set in and they're wonderful. You'll find quite a few fans of this tyre around here!

Another worth considering is the Michelin Pilot Sport 2, although opinions do vary. I think they suit some cars better than others.

Sounds like a nice car. Any pics?

[ QUOTE ]

I have recently bought an A4 1.8T Sline (190BHP) and need to change the front tyres. It cu7rrently runs on Pireeli P Zero which make a lot of road noise and have never had good grip. What do others with 18 inch wheels suggest I might get instead?

Thanks

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Martin.

My car has the P Zero Rosso's and I think they're a pretty good tyre. Wear well, plenty of grip and for a 235mm wide tyre - well I doubt you can expect any tyre that wide to be exactly quiet........

Is your car a Quattro? What pressures do you run? You might want to do the RS4 rear anti roll bar mod' - It will eliminate understeer for less than £100 169144-ok.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

I have the PS 2's on my 18 inch rims 235/40 just about to renew the front ones after 20K lowest price i have seen so far is £142 and the highest £230, They may be expensive but i have total confidence in them

[ QUOTE ]

Absolutely hate them! Eagle F1's all the way for me 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats funny, i am the absolute oposite.

I wouldnt put goodyears on my cars now if i got them free.

Mitchelin all the way (inc the increased cost)

[ QUOTE ]

What do others with 18 inch wheels suggest I might get instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on what width/profile you are looking for. I have been very happy with Dunlop SP9000 - both of our Audis are running on them, but they're only available in a limited set of sizes. I can't vouch for the SP9090 which is available in a greater selection of sizes.

Thnaks boys. My car isnt a quattro, its a FWD model they did for just six months in 2004, hence being a 190bhp 1.8 turbo not the normal 165.

My other car is a stage 2 tuned VX220 so am happy with noise, it just seems that the Audi has so much road noise its almost like a bearings on its way out on the P Zero Rossos, so may well go the Michelin PS2 route.

Thanks for your advice, much apprecaited.

Any other suggestions for good simple mods to an S Line, the remap is going to happen in a few months time. Any favourite places for that to be done, AMD, Superchips, Coliins etc?

Martin

The S4 came with OEM Conti's and they were terrible, poor wet grip, not much better in the dry and high road noise.

Using F1's at present and they are an excellent tyre although when they get near the blocks the orad noise tends to build. Will probably get another set although I am tempted by some Vredesteins and others on here rate the Toyo Proxy T-1R's (is that the right spelling?)

• 4 years later...

Had Michelin PS2s on my last car, 235/40/18s, preferred these to Goodyears, they seemed to run smoother, Eagles felt lumpy even after balancing. Found P zeros tramlined when below 3mm. Got Dunlop Sprortmax (255/35/19) on the S4 as they were on the car when I bought it, seem OK so far but will probably replace with PS3s when they wear out.

• 6 months later...

You cant go wrong with the Falken FK-452. The flagship tyre of Falken range.

Great handling in all weathers, durable, and cheap; coming in at approx £90 a tyre.

Low road noise too.

For the price of 1 set of premium tyres, you can get 2 sets of Falkens....

So perhaps the goodyears or pirellis marginally outperform these tyres in some areas, are you REALLY going to notice doing the daily school run or commute?