Exhaust brackets

Milo

Has anyone had problems with the exhaust brackets rusting away and collapsing?

One of the brackets on my brother's Cooper S exhausts (rear silencer) fell off and when he retrieved it, it has literally rusted away. He had a look at the other one and it is on its last legs as well.

BMW want something like £140 to do the both of them (it's 4 months out of warranty) which is mainly labour as the exhaust needs to come off.

He is going ahead as if the other one fails, the whole system will drop but he's a bit peeved.

The guy at BMW seemed to think this was a common problem hence I'm curious if anyone else has had similar problems.

I had exhaust brakets rust away on my Polo GTI but luckly was still within warranty - I think its just luck of the draw whether you get slightly poor metal at the bracket making stage.

I guess the only plus side is they didn't both go together and him needing to fork out for the whole caboodle!

Hmm, yes, the previous owner (who was a bit thick) of our 850cc Mini replaced his rusty ones with ones he hammeed out of tin, hed also done the same to the remote gearchange (yes in an 850 mk1!) bracket!

Obviously they didnt last too long!

Joe:)