Adjusting front camber

devilc

Are there any camber kits available for Mk V GTI that allow adjusting front camber? It appears to be not adjustable from the factory. Mine's quite even at slightly less than -1 degrees both sides, but this is clearly too little for trackdays as can been seen from the wear pattern on front tyres. The rears, set to -2.5, appear to be great, with even tread wear on the track.

I would like to set the fronts to -1.75 to -2 degrees (yes, I'm aware that this can cause uneven tread wear on the street, but in my case it would be best compromise between road and track).

So, does anybody have any ideas how to do it?

Running the tyres softer (I assume you mean with less pressure) would only exaggerate the problem where only the outer edge and, what's worse, sidewall on front tyres is being used in cornering.

When the car rolls in corners and suspension compresses, the camber of front tyres goes positive, hence the need for more static camber. See the picture below for illustration - compare rear (OK) and front (not OK) wheels.

lat%20015.jpg

What I'd need is something like the link below, but they are for Golf IV.

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/INT999024.htm

Mate, if you run your front tyres softer, on track, as I do, you'll find that you'll have slightly more slip angle, which to some extent compensates for camber (albeit not exactly) which dials out some understeer.

I'm not debating with you that adjustable camber would be the perfect answer, but to me, having a spare set seemed like a much better solution as I can really cane them and not worry as my road boots are safetly tucked up at home!

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not debating with you that adjustable camber would be the perfect answer, but to me, having a spare set seemed like a much better solution as I can really cane them and not worry as my road boots are safetly tucked up at home!

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's exactly what I have done 169144-ok.gif. Also, on the CarLimits course we were asked to pump up our tyre pressures, not lower them.

The reason they ask you to pump UP your tyres is two fold. Firstly, you'll reach the limits of grip quicker, making it easier for them to teach you. Secondly, tyre wear is much more rapid at lower pressure, and they don't want to gain a reputation as being 'expensive' in terms of associated costs of a track day.

CMC, while your workaround might work, I'd prefer to do things properly.

Second set of wheels is a good idea (BTDT with my other car, a supercharged MX-5), but it still won't solve the problem of front tyres being destroyed twice as quickly as they need be, since the whole tread is not being used.

Mine's DSG, and I find it excellent on the track, although sometimes I wish it wouldn't change up automatically at the limiter. Another annoyance is it's tendency to kick down to second when I'm not careful with the throttle while accelerating out in third gear from slow corners (with MTM chip and no LSD, I find it quicker to keep it in third and surf the torque band, rather than induce frantic wheelspin in second).