exciting event with my S3 yesterday (not pleasant

JayBeeS3

Hi guys!

Yesterday evening I was driving (downtown) in my S3 when suddenly I heard a bang from the front of the car and the engine started to make a strange noise.

I immediately parked the car and opened the hood to have a look.

I noticed at first that the hose going to the IC (next to the washerfluid bottle) looked sort-of collapsed.

Looking a bit better I also noticed that the engine on the left side was substantially lower then it should be (especially when comparing with the right side).

So I decided to call Audi assistance. They arrived in 15mins and the guy had a look and his conclusion was that the engine had dropped down due to either the engine support that was broken and/or the bolts holding the engine in place decided to break.

After removing all the engine cover plastic and investigating with a torch the conclusion was that the bolts on the left side totally had broken in 2 and effectively the engine was hanging on the 2 bolts on the right side.

I asked if this was normal and he confirmed that these bolts normally should stay in one piece.

The funny thing is that in december last year I had some premature work done on the car @ 113.000 kms. I had the waterpump and all the belts replaced (cant remember the name of these belts anymore) but anyway it was the service that normally should take place @ 180.000kms. I know that the dealer had to loosen the engine to replace all the parts because after I got the car back (six months ago) I noticed a funny sound when lifting the clutch.... the engine felt like it was moving a bit too much. Inspection by the dealer revealed that they didnt properly fasten the bolt holding the engine to the bottom of the car. After fastening of this bolt everything was OK again.

The service guy from yesterday evening responded (after me telling this story) that de dealer in december probaly didnt replace the bolts when they loosened the engine for maintenance but instead used the old bolts......

Apparently these alu bolts can only be used once?

What are the thoughts on this occurance? what can be the reason the engine almost fell out of the car and what can I expect?

all your help is greatly appriciated!

(also posted in S3 section)

I would think that you would need to prove that the bolts had not been replaced , having said that given that the bolts were not tightened correctly the first time you may well have a good enough case . Go back to the original dealer and see what they say. If you get no joy get onto cmr services and explain the whole situation from the first instance.

At the end of the day those bolts should not fracture unless in an accident and it may be a simple case they will replace them FOC anyway

Hi, just to add, there are many bolts used on your vehicle that are coated with an anti-corrsion substance. This is because the bolts are not aluminium and they secure parts that are aluminium, this can create a breeding ground for corrosion, hence the coating of the bolts. Coated bolts can be identified by a green tinge to the colour of the bolt. They should only be used once as the coating comes off when you remove the bolt. This however would not be a reason for the bolts on your engine mount to break. It is likely they were overtightend or left loose.

update:

got my car back and all the bolts have been replaced.

According to the dealer one bolt (on the left side) had hadnt been tightned so that bolt came out and as a result the remaining bolt snapped.....

I made an appointment with the servicemanager to discuss what else should be done on the engine to make sure there won't be any other damege to the internals or other bits and pieces.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

update:

got my car back and all the bolts have been replaced.

According to the dealer one bolt (on the left side) had hadnt been tightned so that bolt came out and as a result the remaining bolt snapped.....

I made an appointment with the servicemanager to discuss what else should be done on the engine to make sure there won't be any other damege to the internals or other bits and pieces.

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to hear you got it sorted and hoping they find nothing else wrong