Viva Las Vegas

ian_m

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You MUST take a Helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon via the Hoover Dam.

Do NOT miss it. It's a once in a lifetime experience.

I can't remember who I used but they had a chopper in metallic blue with a large red indian logo on the side of it and they did a champagne breakfast in the bottom of the Canyon (whereupon I encountered a family of rattlesnakes that took a dislike to me).

Also, take a car to Red Rock Canyon. It's very close by (20 mins) and the scenery and colours are a sight to behold.

Got to do the Stratosphere of course, try going into all the major hotels (Treasure Island, Venetian, MGM Grand, Circus Circus, Ballys, Caesars Place, Luxor etc) - they're all worth a trip round with their own unique entertainment and sights.

Walk the Strip during the day, then on a night - that's a must too.

Make sure you catch the warship fight at Treasure Island at some point too. Incredibly well staged.

Finally, drive out of Vegas heading to LA. However, just as you're leaving Vegas turn off towards Boomtown. There is a firearms shop there with an open firing range. If you want to see how free and easy weapons are in the US, you need to visit it. It's frightening - but you have to experience it to realise just how frightening.

I'd agree with all of the above. The only one I didn't do was Boomtown and now I wish I had grin.gif

The light show on Freemont Street is amazing at night - although keep a very close eye on your wallet and its got nothing to do with spending too much!

We did a tour of the Hoover Dam as well, which until you're close up, you don't realise what an engineering masterpiece it is 169144-ok.gif

Jayzus.. just spotted this forum by chance in TSN and when I saw a post on Las Vegas I just thought I gotta take a look.

Myself and wife have been there last two years - first me with work and I took her and then we stopped off during our honeymoon.

Anyway - its a great spot! Like have been said above - you gotta go up Stratosphere for the rides and do the helicopter ride into GC, use the "Papilion" helicopter company (not sure my spelling is exact but they are best).

Loads to do and see in LV - just walking the strip and going through all the main hotels is a must.

You will love it - its a great spot!

Paddy (So jealous) - will be while before we are back cause we have a gorgeous baby daughter now.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, I am off to Vegas at the end of July, are there any "must see's" that any of you can recommend? 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What dates are you there? i am also there at end of july!

[/ QUOTE ]

I fly out there on the 30th 169144-ok.gif

MrMe, thanks for those tips, I am definitely going to go on the helicopter flight 169144-ok.gif

The firing range is "The Gunstore", this is a MUST and I have emailed them to arrange 8 of us to go over there openfire.gifgrin.gif

169144-ok.gif

Hi Smitten

Currently flying United Airlines, Heathrow to Washington then Washington to Vegas.

However as the travel agents seem to have great fun in altering the times and stop off destination every couple of weeks, who knows where we could be flying to come the time.

Stopping in the Stratosphere for five nights, Three nights traveling up to San Francisco, Then five nights in San Francisco.

Another one I have just remembered:

White Water Rafting on the Colorado through the GC.

I soooo wish I'd done that. Our copter pilot buzzed a few of them (and he was fecking close too!!!) and they looked like they were having a fantastic time.

Don't be tempted into taking a light aircraft instead of the copter into the GC though. I'm told they're nowhere near as good.

It's always worth asking for a word with the pilot before the flight too. I'd been tipped off to ask him to fly VERY low over Joshua Plains and Lake Mead - and boy did he! I was sh1tting myself.

Best of all though, if he flies reallllly low over the plains it means that when you hit the canyon....your perspective is fecked! From seeing ground 20 ft below you (or whatever it was) I had a fit when it disappeared and all I could see was a HUGGGGGGGE hole with a tiny pinstripe at the bottom of it (that being the 60ft wide Colorado!).

The trip into the GC is by far the best experience I've ever had on a holiday. Mind blowing. Nothing can prepare you for how BIG it is. Nothing.

Lastly though - hire a car and thrash the knackers off it. Then cry with laughter when you find out it'll only cost you $1.34 to fill it back up.... yelrotflmao.gif (slight exaggeration I know!).

They were very tight when I was out there - we were at a bar where the staff had been told to ID everyone and they refused to serve a 60 odd year old as he didn't have any. smashfreakB.gif

But that was 16 years ago so things might have changed.