Car deprication of joy

Calm Chris

The car was sold this morning, it was a Black R32 and was one of the very 1st in to the UK.

Just done some maths and it's looking pretty damn good.

Cost New..£24,700

Sold for... £16,000

Loss.........£8,700

Now the car was 42 months old, so lost 35.22% of its value over the ownership period.

Yearly deprication amounts to 9.73% per year grin.gif

Who says owning a decent car costs alot of money confused.gif

Now there is always 2 ways to look at figures, the above makes me smile grin.gif.

Here's some more figures based on total ownership costs

3.5 years of insurance..£2000

Deprication..................£8700

Tyres..........................£450

Headlamp......................£500

Servicing.......................£800

Fuel.............................£3300

Road Tax......................£580

Total......................£16300

Divided by 17500 miles used = £0.93 per mile, doesn't sound nearly as good as 10% deprication per year, does it? confused.gifmad.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

deprication

[/ QUOTE ]

And todays word from the dictionary is depreciation... tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And "today's" is today's grammar lesson tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And "today's" is today's grammar lesson<font color="red"> . </font>

And what about punctuation?

And on, and on, and on. Who cares? tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

And "today's" is today's grammar lesson tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Milo, I dont know where you were taught English but you are soooooo wrong... That would only be correct if I'd have meant "today is" iamwithstupid.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?

'Apostrophe s' can indicate possession i.e. Milo's car but not on personal pronouns i.e. yours.

Edit:

[ QUOTE ]

It means don't pick others up if you don't know what you're talking about yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the man who can't spell 'taught' but felt it necessary to pull someone else up on their spelling tongue.gif

Well I'll tell you what, I am right!

"Today's grammar lesson" is correct.

"Todays grammar lesson" is incorrect.

I was beginning to doubt myself for a moment (God forbid) but a quick Google plus some spell checks revealed I was right all along ROLLEY~14.GIF

However, I refuse to gloat coffee.gif

Anyway, what about Chri5's (did you see what I did there?) £1/mile R32? blush.gif

Edit yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Don't you know you're not meant to start a sentence with "And" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never end a sentence with a preposition. Never split an infinitive. Do not start a sentence with and or but...

Many of us were told at school that they were rules. A few are useful guides — it is usually better not to split an infinitive or end a sentence with a preposition. Winston Churchill said of the latter, "That is a rule up with which I will not put." The former would require "To boldly go where no one has gone before" to be "To go boldly where no one has gone before."

And starting a question with 'and'? - well when we were very little it was used to prevent us writing short and unstructured senteces as in'Ihave a dog.And a cat. And a hamster". Once we get used to the fact that the most likely genesis of the stricture against beginning a sentence with and (or but) is that it might not be a complete sentence we can, where appropriate ignore it. Indeed, in Fowlers Modern English Usage, Gower himself rails against the pedant who says not to use 'and' at the beginnig of the sentence. Now where did I put my latin grammer?

[ QUOTE ]

Divided by 17500 miles used = £0.93 per mile, doesn't sound nearly as good as 10% deprication per year, does it? confused.gifmad.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Curses I only get 42p per mile for using my car at work smashfreakB.gif

Now it may be my memory failing me, but isn't there site somewhere that has done some of these calculations - AA? RAC?

I think Chri5's figure are very good indeed. Exceptional in fact.

I've had the 6 for 10 months, done 7,000 miles and I'll have lost around £9,500. Based on the price I paid (just over £55k, as opposed to list £62k), that means I've lost 17% of it's value in year 1. Or, to put it into perspective, just under a grand a month or £1.36 for every mile driven.

That's to be expected on the size and type of car it is, and I'm quite happy with that. It was bought for the pure joy of what I wanted rather than anything else being considered.

However, over 4 years it'd drop to around £27,500. So that'd mean 50% over 4, which is actually very good indeed. It's just people like me who buy them new that take the big hit. There'll be people out there, most of them in fact, who paid £60k for the car though, so they'll have lost almost £15k. Still, as a percentage it's nothing out of the ordinary.

In 4 years time it'll be stunning value for money for someone. Mind you, the way it is delighting me at the moment I might still have it by then.

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is though, people buy cars that depreciate very heavily thinking they are a bargain, until the bills start to flood in that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true indeed. I'm not sure I'd want my car in 4 years, without a warranty, if the engine was to go pop.

It'd be a brave man who'd ask a dealership for a quote for a replacement engine... yelrotflmao.gif

Yep, there are some aftermarket warranties, but they tend to have restrictions (like a maximum sum per claim of £5000). If the engine goes bang, the bill is going to be in the order of £15,000. One dealer quoted £1100 just to change the cam belt (due every 3 years)!