Used Passat TDI dilemna

buzzer1967

I bought a used Passat TDI from my local garage (not stealer) which was advertised as a 130 TDI, it has a red DI but that means nothing I know.

I have since discovered that it's actually a 100 BHP model.

I'm keeping it because it's an 02 SE model with only 25k on the clock and drives fantastic. My point is should I take it back and complain it's not as described (ie not a 130)having paid a 130 price tag.

What would you do? Ask for a free service, money back...any suggestions?

They clearly have mis-sold it and you should be able to negotiate a refund of some of the money paid. You clearly want to keep it so it is important that you do a deal that is acceptable to both parties.

Did you get a good warranty with it?

Make sure the pollen filter seal has been modified and that the carpets aren't wet or smell damp. If they are wet think twice about purchase.

Also check air-con has had a service recently, Radiator hasn't any history of suddenly discharging coolant as there is a problem with rads at this time. Heater fans are prone to failure possibly not helped by water damage from pollen seal failure.

Otherwise a great car, keep the drain holes under battery clear and oilfilter changed every 7k max.

Oh, and most importantly your cam belt and tensioner will need replacing NOW under the 4-year rule together with the other two belts as they have to be removed anyway. If it hasn't been done make sure that the dealer pays for this anyway!

You can phone VW Customer Service on 0800 711811 and with the registration they can tel you when all services were done and what warranty work was done.

If its on your receipt then get back down the dealer to complain. Ask to speak to the manager not the salesman.

I would ask for the car to be replaced. The garage really wont want to do that and it also gets really complicated as they might have to knock money off your car for the extra miles now on the clock etc. By asking for that you put yourself in a strong position.

I had a quick look at the difference in value between the two for you:

Cost New ('02) £ 17180

Franchised Dealer £ 8940

Independent Dealer £ 8565

Private Good £ 7970

Private Poor £ 6630

Part Exchange £ 7600

Cost New ('02) £ 17960

Franchised Dealer £ 9390

Independent Dealer £ 9000

Private Good £ 8370

Private Poor £ 6965

Part Exchange £ 7980

As you can see the 130 model is worth several hundred pounds more. Point this out to them. Dont forget to quote the sale of goods act.

Parkers are poo for prices, but it's just another bargaining tool. Parkers prices are always higher than the trade guide.

Passat's are good used purchases as there are so many lease car's that get disposed of at 3/4 years old. I bought my car when it was 4 years old for £3700. If only the running costs were as reasonable...

hello i came across the same problem i saw a passat tdi 130 estate and the di where in red and ive seen only the i in red does any one know what this means??

i wanted a 130 so was going to pull out of the deal but rang vw to confirm it was a 130bhp apparently the sticker in the wheelwell in the boot is the only indication of bhp

its not on the log book also its a similar problem with ford diesel engines it does not state bhp on the car or logbook so had problems(that was the garage infomation).

I guess the safest way is to look at the engine code numbers. Even stickers can be removed or re-pasted.

Another quick check (applicable to the later B5s at least, not sure about the earlier ones), open the bonnet and stand in front.

The 74Kw diesel has the TDI above the VW logo on the rocker cover. Rocker cover is flat. Oil filler cap is on the left of the TDI/VW logo.

The 96Kw version has the TDI below the VW logo. Rocker cover is 'stepped', with 4 'fins' on it. Oil filler cap is above the TDI/VW logo. 100 Kw version is close to the 96Kw version. Same differences (e.g. oil filler cap above the logo, etc etc).

Thats what I know, anyone seen different versions?

Don't rely on external badges or red 'i's or stickers or whatnot.

I used to have a 2002 100bhp TDI SE and that had red DI badges on the boot lid and engine cover.

I can understand how a non main dealer could get easily confused, but that’s not your fault. Go and ask for some sort of compensation, if you haven’t done so already!