Used Passat TDI dilemna

buzzer1967

[ QUOTE ]

If you keep the car don't forget the cambelt and tensioner need replacing at 4 years no matter how few miles it has done!!!

It isn't cheap and is best done by main dealer not the garage you bought it from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2003 TDI 130 Estate that's done 50k now. You're getting me worried about the longevity of the timing belt as it is on the extended service régime. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Wobby or someone will confirm shortly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come i got a mention there smile.gif

On mine, a 130PD TDI the belt needs doing every 60k. Or thats what i thought, but i have heard on here they can be let go to 80k.

For the damage that can be done if it jumps or snaps, i would do it at 60k.

Check it out with VW but my understanding is that in late 2005 VW advised to change the cambelt/tensioner at 60k miles OR 4 YEARS whichever comes first. Perhaps Mulkbear will confirm?

Haven't any experience of the extended service regime except to say that I haven't heard a good word about it either from the motoring press or dealers. My oil and filter is done at 5k not 10k and costs approx £28 on a DIY basis using VW oil/filter and new sump plug. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

I know my 1.8T is every 80k. However mine was done at 60k so I've only got another 9k left till I have to fork out for it. frown.gif

The extended service intervals are all well and good if you keep an eye on the car. However your average joe wouldn't bother to do basic checks inbetween services so I would be worried about buying a car that had been on them.

I think I'm right in saying that most american motors have long service intervals. Is it the corvette that is due a plug change every 100k?!

• 3 weeks later...