A winning Mk1....

RedRobin

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have many good memories of my 1984 MK1 GTI, and the brakes wern't that good and faded really badly until I fitted Mintex M171 pads which were an improvement but noisy. To be fair it always stopped when it needed to, although I thought the primary cause of the problem was the linkage from the pedal to the servo. At least it had a servo, I remember driving a Polo of the same era (hearse shape) and it didn't have a servo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had my mk1 for many years and got it just before i was 18 so you can guess how it got driven in the early years.

The pads are critical for some reason i tried loads of different makes and specs, best ones by a HUGE margin were VWs OWN OEM for the GTI original equipement and spec anything else the car felt like it would never stop. I bought a huge amount of old stock from vw due to this. Aftermarket or replacment bads don't work or i should say didn't work. Newer materials maybe better now.

Its another one of those reason why the car got its brake rep AFTER it was new and it never cropped up in original reviews.

FADE i can say from well over 100+ to 0 no fade we had a 1.5 mile private road (yes it was private) we use to sort of drag on and i use to do many runs on said road you had to brake hard at the end or end up in a field blush.gif ) and no problem infact at the time early 90s the cars everyone else had, had problems i never did on oem pads.

(unlike the mk5 that does not like it either)

The feel and the pedal travel is 90% rear brakes and there adjustment the myth is its the linkage every mag now says it, but its not sometimes the linkage needs new pins so has an inch of play at the top of the pedal at most (its easy felt if its the linkage by wiggling the pedal) but 90% of the time its the rear brakes as i have said new VWs still suffer it after been a few years old.

As for servo its something i have never really found a problem, infact some cars i prefer without as it gives you more feel especially if the car does not have ABS, so you have to press it a bit harder i don't find that a problem myself especially in these time of some cars with there over servo'ed brakes especially Audis i adjust with each car very quickly. Maybe its because i use to be in and out of loads of different cars a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Geoff, I'll trust you on this one. It's been nearly 20 years since I drove a MK1 or even been in one so I'm quoting from memory and a bit of nostalga.

cheers

Bob

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic