Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rs32

.:R cars and their owners

21 posts in this topic

Thought we might find out out more about what owners have in common with their choice of .:R.

I'll make a start - The MkV is not an aggressive-looking car but has a bit of bite when provoked. This pretty much matches my personality - I like to stay pretty calm unless someone/something really pushes me into snapping.

But sometimes I do feel a bit more boisterous, and the noise of the V6 + Milltek matches that mood just perfectly FIREdevil.gif

Good or bad, let's hear it people 169144-ok.gif

I needed a pseudo-family car (our other car is a Vectra), but I wanted something that was a bit on the rare side, some a bit different and with plenty of go, all package with a bit of finesse. Looked at an M3, 330 Coupe, dismissed a few others as well, but decided on my 5 door Mark IV .:R in the end.....and I love it.

Thanks why I chose the .:R.

but do we have anything in common.....Hmmmm I'll think about that one.

I got mine because I was 'bitch slapped' into getting rid of my 'Boxster S' and getting a more sensible car... Went for 'MKV GTI', was dissapointed by the performance, then got the 'MKV R32' top fun car! (as per so many previous threads the R32 isn't as fast as the Boxster, but it's a lot of fun!).

As for what we have in common....

- We all love spending money on fuel!

- 'Some' of us are 'Computer Geeks'

- We all enjoy owning great cars!

Catch you guys later.

Lee

[ QUOTE ]

Lee, where've you been hiding mate 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps there was a very long queue for petrol... grin.gif

Been working long hours (the projects come to an end so I can surf TSN again), cleaning the car (sad), and yep filling up with fuel.... One day I might win something in those damn 'Shell Dream Drive' Competitions!

Still enjoying my R32 (just passed 10K)!

I promise I'll be a more acive TSN member in the future blush.gif

I got mine because I wanted an inconspicuous girly car. FIREdevil.gif

I bought my MKIV a few months ago after owing a Honda Integra Type R and a Honda CRX VTEC in the last few years. I went for the Golf because I wanted something which had 'immediate' performance rather than having to wait for 6000 RPM and the VTEC cams to kick in. The R32 surges forward very impressively from as little as 2000 revs and overtaking is a joy.

I also wanted to avoid the Subaru/EVO/Focus RS turbocharged 'boy racer' image and own a car with 4WD, a classy touch and a nice interior at a reasonable price with a really characterful engine. Rivals may be faster but the R32 is a great all round package, searching for my next car will be hard!

I bought mine because I need a car with 4x4 for the winter times here, many skiing trips and lots of driving on snow covered roads is great fun with ESP off. I also wanted a V6 with twin pipes. My Dad had a Capri 3L when I was around 5years old until I was around 10. I loved the car, the purr of the engine. My sister wrote "V6 for kicks" on the garage wall about 20 years ago and its still there...guess Im following family tradition.....

I will not be buying a Renualt 18 turbo next like my Dad did though!

As you say some of its rivals may be faster but none have the same class as the R32 169144-ok.gif

Nicely put, Tim!

I bought an R32 because it is classy, a little exclusive & fecking fast without being uncivilised or unusable as an everyday vehicle.

And it sounds lurrvely too heart.gif

Ok. Time I got out more... smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Nicely put, Tim!

I bought an R32 because it is classy, a little exclusive & fecking fast without being uncivilised or unusable as an everyday vehicle.

And it sounds lurrvely too heart.gif

Ok. Time I got out more... smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Must agree and 'getting out more these days' is such a pleasure !!! 169144-ok.gif

i simply ordered 1 as they are nice car with plenty of grunt and does not have that in your face look that some other cars have, a wolf in sheeps clothing as they say

They sell em in silver .... what other reason do you need jump.gif

Weelll... I'm 41, married with 3 kids. My other cars are Disco 3 TDV6 and Metallic Green 1978 Lancia Montecarlo.

So I needed a car which sort of fits between the two. A bit bonkers, a bit sensible, very fast (cos neither of the others are) and which could do school run duties when needed and which therefore needs to be safe (NCAP 5*, airbags all over I got the rear curtain ones, and 4WD for eary winter mornings).

I don't do a high mileage but do need something I can leave happily in station or airport car park. So I got reflex silver, it transforms the R32 into a real Qcar. You really have to look twice to get the bling grill effect or even the pipes.

I'm a commuter so solid and reliable is also appreciated and my mkIV gti never let me down, it just lacked oomph.

Put all that in the blender and there aren't many cars that tick that many boxes.

And having had a turbo 4 pot i really fancied the VR6 (mid life crisis?) over the mk5 gti which i also really liked.

So there it is... apologies to the youth wing of the forum but it's a great dad's car too... and my wife loves it also!

I've had mine for two years now, I still find it irresistable. I had an integra r before (great car when the mood suited, and when there was enough road and not raining), the .:R is another level though.

It manages to suit so many of my fickle moods, it's unreal. it'll take the slog to work, it can cruise on the m'way, take it shopping, and then you can really rag it when you want to.

The size is perfect for darting about, the engine is a dream and the torque, well, we all know how good fourth gear is.... build quality is superb (done almost 40K and still feels new).

I'm lucky in the sense that i can borrow a lot of other cars from friends (sti, p1, evo 7, 330i cs, m3). they are more or less faster (in the right hands but not by much on the road), but attract the wrong sort of attention (the p1 has been nicked twice, the evo and sti stopped/follwed countlessly by the rozzers) and cost lot more to run. In the case of the jap cars, when you're not doing 100mph, there isnt much to them (interiors are quite basic)and can be quite tiring.

I'm stuck because I cant change it for anything without spending 10K minimun for a 'significant' improvement. So me thinks the .:R is stuck with me for a while longer yet (some mild modding will be on the agenda...)

Well thanks, I got that off my chest...

Bought mine as a kiddie carrier(we've baby due soon),and not prepared to get rid of my 997 carrera s to buy a more sensible car so have both

I bought mine because I wanted a car that was quick and good looking out of the box that wouldn't need modifying. It lasted all of 6 months ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

I bought mine because I wanted a car that was quick and good looking out of the box that wouldn't need modifying. It lasted all of 6 months ROLLEY~14.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a bit like marrying the wife ! yelrotflmao.gif