Botang

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had this in the A6 smashfreakB.gif

... don't know how similar they are for the drain locations etc.

Mine was caused by water running underneath the seal for the pollen filter housing.

A new filter housing, and checking the seal under the windscreen appeared to do the trick, but not until the water had fecked the Sat-Nav smashfreakB.gif

The only other obvious thing would be the drainage hole under the battery smashfreakB.gif

Matt, I get wet feet in the Monaro from time to time and can only put this down to AirCon resevoir, My E36 M3 had wet footwells to the rear passenger wells, and this was down to some some weldng that needing doing due to "significant rust". Welding done, no further problem.

I continue to get wet socks occassionaly in the Monaro, but I have never ever once used the air con, I daren't!!!

I fitted a phone kit into a D3 A8 last week and the rear was like a swimming pool under the carpet, even the rear seat springs were rusty. God knows how so much water got in there. But the dealer had just sold this car to some unsuspecting punter. I told the salesman about the water and he didn't seem bothered. This was an A8 advocate, shows how much they care aboutsales and how little about customers.

Has your car been parked up for a few days? How long ago did you clear the aircon blockage m8? Because from my experience I've found a large amount of water moves into the air vent ducting between the front seats when the aircon evap drains are blocked; and the water pours out of the rear central vents every time you move off or accelerate: tell tale signs of this is if the carpet is wet in the footwells and down the sides or even the top of the propshaft tunnel portion of the carpet, whilst the sides of the carpet near the door sill seals remain dry wink.gif

871083-carpet.JPG

post-5048-137914367036_thumb.jpg

Nick I was refering to the double vent exit where the rear cigi. lighter socket is though what you've mentioned may also be a distinct possibility.

I went on holiday for 2 weeks; when I came back I reversed the car out of the drive, when I stopped I heard water running from under the handbrake area. Almost instantly water poured out of the vents over and on to the propshaft tunnel EEK2.GIF

• 2 weeks later...

My car is now in pieces, Ive put it into rally mode by removing the everything except the drivers seat so that I can dry the carpet out.

Now for the shocking part, bearing in mind that I have not used the car much and its been hot youd have thought the carpet would be pretty dry, not in the slightest ive got about 2 litres of water out of it with the hoover and there was still more in the vent tunnelooo.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well for the best part of a month Ive had my car in rally mode, and been struggling to find the water leak. I managed to spare a bit of time this afternoon and I hope Ive sorted it.

The water was geeting in through a hole in the bulk head, which was completely invisible at first. The hole was covered over with the original Audi seam sealer and only after removing the ecu, tcu, and whatever else cu that sits in the waterproof housing, the waterproof tray itself, some sound deadening material and the seam sealer could I finally work out how it was getting in.

904860-water-leak-a.jpg

location of above

904868-water-leak-b.jpg

Ive blocked it up now with a nut, bolt and silicone sealer, that should do the job 169144-ok.gif

post-520-137914371701_thumb.jpg

It was pretty clean under there, I was expecting it to be full of rotten leaves but it wasnt too bad.

To get the box out was a right pain. There is a 10mm nut at the front which is obvious, but to getthe rest out, you have to remove the box cover (about 8 bolts) the ECU, another few, the TCu, another few, another unit, all the wiring connectors, you have to seperate the two wiring looms (engine bay and interior) and take out 4 nuts from the inside of the car which secure the box to bulk head. Unless it really needs doing leave it alone 169144-ok.gif

Ill take another picture which will help show the location of the drains but there are none under the box itself.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

i seem to have the same prob........ i've done all the drains and all are flowing well but i've sprung a leak from some where behind the rear left of the glovebox..... all sounds very similar to botangs leak.!

botang did this solve your prob completely?

your not joking spent 5 hours on it.... but its fixed.The factory audi seal was like paper i really didn't expect to do a job like this on a car of this status.Many thanks to botang for his pics in this thread without them it would of taken me days to find that leak.Called it a day now, tomorrow i've got to dry/refit the interior.