RNS-E & TMC - Free DVD Upgrade

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll probably get vilified for this but, in all honesty, can you blame Audi for restricting the free disc upgrade to those who bought their RNS-E from Audi?

Since they've decided to fork out for the replacement discs for anyone under warranty they'd obviously be looking to limit their expense and restricting the offer to those who ordered their cars with nav will save them a fair bit of cash. Ok it doesn't cost much to actually make the discs but they're doing themselves out of a lot of sales here as many would have bought the new discs anyway.

More likely is that they want to give those who paid their (admittedly extortionate) asking price a bit of perceived "added value" in terms of customer support so they feel that their money hasn't been wasted. Tenuous maybe but you never know how the corporate marketing machine works.

I'm actually stunned by the generosity of this offer, if all is as it appears. It would seem that anyone with a car less than 3 years old and under 60k miles will be entitled to a totally free upgrade to the latest discs. If you're using 3 year old discs then this is a stupendous offer! If the upgrade were simply a firmware update that the dealer could do while you waited then I suspect they wouldn't bother making the distinction between OEM and retrofit units but I can imagine they don't want to give away shiny new discs to those who fitted their units themselves.

I like your thinking Crasher, group buy anyone. Nelson, any chance you get get hold of enough disks?

As for your comments Vertigo1, I agree to a point, however for the fact that a lot of us have retrofitted units, often for a 1/4 of the cost and at least 50% discount for warrantied ones like CraigyB instals, it reeks to me that Audi charge so much for the option in the first place. If they were for instance to instal DVD sat nav for say £750 then I think I would have ticked the option box but there is no way it is worth what Audi ask, especially when the resale value of certainly my S4 would be a fraction better of the original outlay cost.

In short what I'm getting at is if Audi actually offered value for money on options like this then they have a point, but since they don't my view is that they are robbing barstewards and therefore anyway we can get cheaper parts its their loss.

[ QUOTE ]

In short what I'm getting at is if Audi actually offered value for money on options like this then they have a point, but since they don't my view is that they are robbing barstewards and therefore anyway we can get cheaper parts its their loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean and agree generally but, if you look at it from Audi's point of view, offering this free update only to OEM customers allows them to say "see, here's where the price is justified, as you get full support from Audi for issues such as these, whereas if you retrofit items you won't get such support". I suppose it's similar to the likes of Dell charging way more for a PC than you'd pay for similar kit from a local computer fair, Dell would no doubt say "ah, but for your money you get all our support and backup which you wouldn't get otherwise". I'm not saying such claims are true mind you, just that this is no doubt the way their marketing/PR machine works.

[ QUOTE ]

Just booked my new S3 in to have the TMC update completed FOC on the 8th of Jan, seems early for the campaign date says 22/1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Booked in for what exactly? Booking it in for an update suggests the dealer will update the unit themselves using some form of update disc or equipment but the memo from Audi clearly states that the update will just comprise the distribution of the new 2007 DVDs which presumably will automatically update the unit.

I see the value in after sales service and a built in cost to the product, however in short the option for DVD sat nav plus the 2007 disks update would amount to over £2K for me I believe, whereas to buy the disks and RNS-E cost approx. £750.

I had a problem with the loader mechanism for which I was told a new unti would be needed whereas TDiAvant manged to repair the loader so my faith in the £12-1300 extra for the Audi option to have after sales is tainted because thus far I probably haven't got any value for money out of them and am unlikely to do so in the future.

Well yes but if the RNS-E had been supplied by the factory and the car was in warranty then the unit would have been replaced for free anyway. When ordered as part of the car the nav will be included in the standard 3 year warranty which is something else which has to be factored into the price.

I'm forced to wonder how many of these units go wrong within the warranty period actually. If it's a significant number, maybe Audi have loaded the price of the option to offset the costs they incur in supplying and fitting replacement units under warranty?

[ QUOTE ]

Please be aware that anyone planning on doing their own updates, should follow the instructions relating to doing the update. If needed i can post them on here for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards my reply to AZ's post above on the "booking in for an upgrade" issue - can you possibly confirm whether the update does indeed just comprise the new discs and these will automatically update the unit upon insertion (if a firmware update is required at all that is)?

[ QUOTE ]

Well yes but if the RNS-E had been supplied by the factory and the car was in warranty then the unit would have been replaced for free anyway. When ordered as part of the car the nav will be included in the standard 3 year warranty which is something else which has to be factored into the price.

I'm forced to wonder how many of these units go wrong within the warranty period actually. If it's a significant number, maybe Audi have loaded the price of the option to offset the costs they incur in supplying and fitting replacement units under warranty?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm led to believe that DVD loader mechanisms are a, and I quote 'a fairly frequent' fault on the RNS-E units. Like you say you would get it replaced FOC under warranty but why need to when it is just one part that has gone wrong that within 30-40 mins could be replaced and the related cost reduced (part vs whole unit)?

Ok I'm with you. I'm wondering whether the dealers will require that you come in and they insert the disc and run through the upgrade themselves then leave the discs in there once it's done. This would seem to be the best way to minimise problems.

That said, the discs will obviously be available for anyone to order and use themselves so I'd have thought they'd have made it as foolproof as possible as the last thing they want is a shedload of customers complaining the disc had hosed their nav.

[ QUOTE ]

Recieved my 2007 Disks from Germany today i am in the UK i can confirm that TMC is fully working now and is the DBs

not much else new that i can see yet

If any of you do the Upgrade yourself you will need your RNS E Pin number as it reboots and asks for it. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one have you managed to use TMC ie routed around traffic. Good news!

as with any new DVD update from Audi when you insert the new DVD it goes into software update mode, it takes about 10mins its a good idea to leave the car running as if interupted it will screw the bios flash up.

it will auto reboot twice and then go into the pin number screen just like when you first put a new RNS E in after the correct pin entry you have the new software update.

to check it press the "CAR" button then click on version it will read Software version 550 on the 2007 update.

Only installed it tonight so have not been out far to try TMC but will do in the morning, but i can see loads of traffic problems in the map view and when you press the info button it tells you all of the problems in the UK where and why.

it looks the biz but i will take some pics when i am out in the morning ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've seen problems using copied DVD to update the firware, I would always recommend using the original disk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree RNS-E's are very pickie DONT try an update with a copied DVD try to use the original, if it stops half way through an update you can screw the firmware up even though you can reverse this you will need VAG COM

• bison unpinned this topic