RNS-E & TMC - Free DVD Upgrade

[ QUOTE ]

That's what's puzzling me - with this free upgrade offer arriving at the end of the month, why would anyone buy the 2007 discs now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell is it puzzling you? Is there a reason why someone should wait for the discs to arrive in Jan or Purchase in Dec. I suspect most people who purchase without waiting for free upgrade can obviously afford it to spend the money, so why is it puzzling you?

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The point I was making is that customer services say one thing and the dealers do another. I spoke to CraigyB about my boss’s car (A6) and asked about the TMC upgrade. Craig told me that the dealers had to do it for free.

The dealer said no....after a few calls to Audi customer services and a lot of patience, all of a sudden it was a free upgrade and the same dealer that had said no did the work for free.

I'm just wondering if it's the same this time. It should be free, but some dealers will try it on with people who are less well informed than most of the people on here, i.e. they will make a turn on it if they can!

Cynical I know, but surely the dealers are told what is a free upgrade or what is warranty work, etc, and what’s not. There is not middle ground particularly with something like this (unless of course you retrofitted your RNS-E like me confused.gif).

[ QUOTE ]

So how did you get hold of the disc so early Dave? If you got it free via the "upgrade offer", how did you get it so soon and if you paid for it why didn't you wait for a freebie one at the end of the month?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impatient!!! ... and the dealer I bought my car from keep denying that the memo from Audi even exists (even when I dangle a printed version under their noses!).

So rather than argue a lot over the phone or keep driving to the the dealer, and still not know how long it would take I decided to get myself sorted out.

It was just as difficult getting both Audi UK and the dealer to listen when I got TMC working on the RNS-D I used to have - they said it wasn't possible so I drove to the dealer and showed them it working (using a Tele Atlas CD).

What also irritates me is that Tom Peterkin hasn't yet bothered to email, or contact in any way, those of us on his "alleged" list.

IMHO the standard of technical training of Audi dealers in the area of car electronics is woefully inadequate, and Audi UK need to be sent on a customer satisfaction course!

One dealer even booked an A3 in for the TMC upgrade last month - and then was surprised when the A6 (MMI) disc they tried to use didn't work. Idiots!!! FIREdevil.gif

The owner had a long "discussion" before the Service "Manager" agreed to come and speak with him to admit that they had tried to use the wrong disc. sportifs2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You've actually got it the wrong way around. A6 and A8 customers had to pay £100 for their upgrade, although some got it done for free. The RNS-E upgrade will be available for no charge, this was confirmed in the memo quoted earlier, which said:

[ QUOTE ]

The 2007 disc with the latest digitalised road maps and TMC, and a vehicle lifetime subscription to

TrafficMaster TMC will be Free of Charge for all A3, A3 Sportback, S3, A4, RS 4 and S4 customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A list which, interestingly, doesn't mention A6, S6 and RS6 customers - even those who had the RNS-E fitted at the factory...

I really can't see Audi honouring any non factory RNS-E installations. Nice if they did, but with the fiacso over A6/A8 customers and TMC upgrades where they did have to do some work and supply a disk. I can see the same thing happening with A3/A4/A6 customers.

Anyone with a non factory RNS-E that wants TMC can contact me for a solution unless they want to wait for Audi to pull their finger out.

What also irritates me is that Tom Peterkin hasn't yet bothered to email, or contact in any way, those of us on his "alleged" list.

I would have to agree to think he has not been in contact with anyone tosay what is going on the guys a twat. The only reason we where given his number is so we all can stop bugging customer services about TMC. I am bookede in for the 26th I am sure they will come out with some crap like they dont have disks yet.

[ QUOTE ]

Why the hell is it puzzling you? Is there a reason why someone should wait for the discs to arrive in Jan or Purchase in Dec. I suspect most people who purchase without waiting for free upgrade can obviously afford it to spend the money, so why is it puzzling you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it perfectly reasonable to be puzzled when someone forks out their own money for something when there's a very good chance they could get the same thing for free in a few weeks' time. Maybe they can afford to buy the discs, hell I could afford to buy them but I'm not about to drop a couple of hundred quid on something when the dealer will give it to me for free soon!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had an email from Tom (a personal one too rather than a bulk job to everyone on the list) since the memo to the dealers was made public. He confirmed what the memo said and that the upgrade to myself would be free and available from the end of January.

My dealer has acknowledged the memo from Audi UK and have said they'll let me know when the discs are available and I can book the car in to be sorted.

I couldn't be bothered to argue the toss with my dealer about a free TMC upgrade on a retrofit RNS-E. So just carried out the upgrade using disks from the usual retrofit supplier of choice wink.gif

Whole process took about 5 minutes or so. Only nerve-wracking moment was when the RNS-E shutdown for the 2nd time and didn't automagically restart. Left if for a couple of minutes in case it restarted before I powered it up. No PIN required. TMC icon no longer crossed out and I'd already got 21 traffic reports available from the Info menu.

Can't say how it works in real use as none of the problems are anywhere near me, but looking good....

If you've got any doubts about the dealers doing it on a retrofitted RNS-E or baulk at the cost, then you know who to contact 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I couldn't be bothered to argue the toss with my dealer about a free TMC upgrade on a retrofit RNS-E.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just emailed Tom asking him for an update on the situation ... and also asked the specific question about eligibility of A6/S6/RS6 owners who were not mentioned in the Audi memo.

[ QUOTE ]

I would have to agree to think he has not been in contact with anyone tosay what is going on the guys a twat. The only reason we where given his number is so we all can stop bugging customer services about TMC. I am bookede in for the 26th I am sure they will come out with some crap like they dont have disks yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom replied to me within 24 hours.

Calling him a twat at this point is a bit harsh. However he didn't confirm when/what was happening - he just said this...

"Hi Jason,

Thanks for the email and rest assured that you have been added to my existing customer spreadsheet.

I do not require any additional details for the time being."

Chav I would call him even worst if it was appropriate on site. I take it you have received an email confirming that tmc is now available. Chav he got back to most of us within 24 hours so nothing unusual, he did not require additional details because he is not doing anything. We will most probably here from him when all updates have been done.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

AFAIK Tom replied to everyones initial contact confirming that we were added to his list. But what I meant was that he has not yet emailed the vast majority of us since the memo to dealers appeared. So officially we have yet to be told that anything is happening - it's only because we have "inside information" that we even know about the memo to dealers or the warranty programme!

Tom has not practiced good customer service, and it's not an unreasonable view that he has acted like a twat.

I had an email this morning, saying that customers who carried out the installation of RNSe themselves would receive the update for free - I have emailed my audi centre to get the disk ordered. Tom's email said - As long as TMC works when they do the update it will be free...

Will let you know what audi centre say

Chaz

Just got this email from Tom:

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Dave,

1/ We have notified the Audi network of the process to follow regarding the retro fit TMC DVD.

2/ We will be contacting all customers, week commencing 15/1, on our data base that have vehicles fitted with RNS-E sat.nav, advising them of the actions required. NB. RS6 plus is RNS-E.

3/ The DVD is FOC and we will be asking customers to handover their existing discs as these will no longer operate once the retro DVD is installed. (I suspect that the discs on eBay are not the TMC retro fit ones.)

If you have not received a letter from us by the end of January Dave, may I suggest that you contact your local Audi centre requesting a TMC DVD.

Regards

Tom Peterkin

Customer Services Operations Mgr.

Audi Aftersales & Service

Direct Line: 01908 601627

Fax: 01908 601281

E Mail: [email protected]<br

[/ QUOTE ]

3 points from that:

1) I really don't have the heart to tell him that the eBay discs ARE the TMC retrofit ones.

2) The old DVDs WILL have to be handed over.

3) For the first time the RS6 Plus has been mentioned as being included in the upgrade.

• bison unpinned this topic