Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BenjyGTI

Selling advice please

11 posts in this topic

Well, at the moment I am considering selling my GTi, not because I don't love the car, because I do, but....

I have always loved TT's, loved the last one I owned before the GTi, and having seen a lot of the new TT on TV and seeing one in person, my appetite has well and truly been wetted... lol

Anywho, to get down to the question, I was seeking advice on what price you guys think I should ask for mine?

Spec is listed in my tag line, but I may well remove the Pioneer Avic Sat Nav, although you reckon people would pay a little extra to keep this in the car? I do have the standard stereo which I can re-install or even a 7" Motorised Widescreen Panasonic DVD/Mp3 player.

I have been offered £17k part exchange, and thats from new car discount, which I think is poor really considering my extras, yes, I know they don't add too much to the cars value, but surely leather and Xenons do?

Would appreciate some feedback on this, or even actual experience from people who have sold their GTi's on?

Thanks anyway, sure you won't let me down guys beerchug.gif

Ohhh and just to add, its a 55 Plate with 3000 miles on the clock, yes I know, small mileage, but I am a carpenter, so use a van all week. Cars are just weekend toys the_finger.gif

if you can get a private sale going then things like re-fitting the OEM stereo will help IMO - a car like yours presented as original with 3k miles should find a buyer no probs.

good luck 169144-ok.gif

well i am sure i could cross your palm if you happened to have an armrest and the rolly box in the middle go missing - sure the stealer wouldnt notice... wink.gif

Sorry - know it doesnt help with your questions...!

[ QUOTE ]

if you can get a private sale going then things like re-fitting the OEM stereo will help IMO - a car like yours presented as original with 3k miles should find a buyer no probs.

good luck 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, may be hard to present it as completely original though with 19" OZ's and lowered 169144-ok.gif

I'd put it back to orginal spec.

A lot of potential buyers want cars in their orginal state, plus any mods such as lowering put people off as they feel they may not get the warranty should they have an issue, they may not be want to hike in insurance, or they may feel its been driven hard as there must have been a reason for uprating the suspension.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'd put it back to orginal spec.

A lot of potential buyers want cars in their orginal state, plus any mods such as lowering put people off as they feel they may not get the warranty should they have an issue, they may not be want to hike in insurance, or they may feel its been driven hard as there must have been a reason for uprating the suspension.

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree entirely, modded cars are a niche market. You need broad appeal to sell your car quickly. Most people won't buy modded, and even those that will might not like the mods you've done. IMO it's a very personal thing.

I'd put it back to it's original OEM state and sell the mods on ebay 169144-ok.gif

On the subject of selling modded cars: I've kept all my original parts so I can give the next proud owner the choice of options. However, I won't be taking the trouble to put the car back to standard myself. Neither do I foresee selling my GTI while still under warranty. Either way, my particular mods don't have warranty issues because I 'invested' in paying my VW dealer to install them.

VeeDub_GTI > You have to accept that all your mods were for your individual benefit and enjoyment and you won't get back a penny.

LeMan > Who wants to buy second-hand mods ? I suppose that you can sell anything on fleaBay but I certainly wouldn't buy second-hand mods but I would buy a modded car. I just missed buying a heavily modded BMW about 2 years ago (beaten to it frown.gif) - NOT on fleaBay I hasten to add!.

Well, its all good advice, but I have never kept any of the original parts anyway, I prefer to sell them on to recoup some of the initial outlay on the new parts.

My OZ's cost £1600, and I sold my 18" Monza's for £1200, thus regaining a fair chunk of the cost of my new alloys, as for my car being lowered, its not a huge amount of lowering compared to standard ride height.

I am well aware that you never get your money back on modifications, hence the fact I will probably remove the Pioneer Stereo and replace it wih the standard item, at least the inside of my car will be oem yelrotflmao.gif

Even so, considering my cars mileage and condition, regardless of the mods I have made, I still consider £17k to be a bit if an insult, not that I am surprised, but no one seems to be answering my actual question, what would you sell it for if it was your car? 169144-ok.gif

I am unsure what to ask for it, but what I can get for it vital in my decision to buy a new TT or not really, hell, I may just keep the GTi anyway, hardly suffering is it ha.gif

Cheers for the advice so far guys

Exceptionally low mileage mate which I would have thought would boost the value a bit plus it's very well equipped. I take it a 55 plate is 05? Why not try a couple of other dealers see if you cant get at least an extra £500. I never seem to get good money for any of the cars i've owned (always lose a fortune), as mentioned shop around you might get nearer £18,000. beerchug.gif Just took another look at your spec. £17k would be kinda insulting. £18-£18,500 might be more its price. Good luck selling mate..

If you don't mind sweating it out ( jump.gif) stick it in Auto Trader at around the 18K / 18.5K mark.

I used to be happy buying cars with mods, especially if they'd be proffesionally fitted. You've just got a smaller market to find your buyer in - hence the waiting game!

Good luck which ever route you take! beerchug.gif

If it was me i would put it back to near standard, Wheels are ok but the rest will but alot of people off and its prob why you were offered a low price. Dealers knock loads off for mods on part exs