Diesel Vectra SRi CDTi 150

Tarmac_Terrorist

I had a Saab 93 Vector Sport with that engine for a couple of days and the engine was pretty good. It certainly pulls well and is quite 'revvy' for a diesel, the engine will probably be the best bit about the car!

I put BP ultimate in last time and I've not noticed any difference at all.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm..are we saying in the diesel camp here that BP is better than shell or about the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

From everything i've read on here, and personal experience, it only seems to be older diesel engines that really benefit from BP UD. Shell seems consistantly better than normal diesel on all cars.

If fuel was a more reasonable price, id happily pay for BP UD, but at todays stupidly expensive prices, im happy to stick with Shell.

I have to 1.9 CDTi 16v 150bhp engine in my astra and it suprised me alot... very good performance for the type of car... car only weights about 1300kgs, has 150bhp and 315Nm.... good overall mpg.... top end I think they are limited to 140mph...

My high end figures as follows... 4000rpms @ 142mph giving a 33mpg!

Riz 169144-ok.gif

After extensive testing, I have got to admit that there isn't much difference (in my D5 at least) between any of the premium fuels.

That means I can choose between Shell Diesel Extra (UK), BP Ultimate (UK and France), Total Exellium (France) and Shell V-Power (France). I also use Millers.

I usually put in BP Ultimate just cos there is a station nearer to me than the Shell station. Its a bit more expensive but certainly less than a fiver a tank, lifes to short.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm about to get the above as a new cmpany car next week (not my choice frown.gif ). The performance figures don't look too bad on paper. 1. Has anyone any experience of this car / engine.

2. Any ideas for running in period (if at all). 3. Will it benefit from 'performance' diesel fuel.

Thoughts / ideas please 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We got this engine in our current Signum - and its great, didnt bother with a running in period, just ran it like it will be driven for the rest of its life. Had this also in a previous Vectra estate and Zafira and it is better in the SRi trim as this sharpens the cars handling. Didnt ever notice any benefit from different fuels, so it just got filled up where was cheapest. Ran them on 5 consecutive tanks of same fuel types (The Zafira this was) and economy, performance all pretty much the same given driver / conditions.

Not a bad car to settle for if I am honest - only preference I'd have is the 3l oilburner.

Done about 1400 miles now and she's loosening up nicely. Used half litre of oil. It's the first diesel I've had - don't like the noise at low revs, slow pick up below turbo boost and smell of fumes when come to stop quickly. Overall though, the performance is acceptable - just need to keep it spinning over 2200rpm. Since new she's now averaged 44.5mpg (not reset the computer). 169144-ok.gif

Fuel economy aside, I really can't see what all the excitement over diesel engines are about over the past 5-7 years but perhaps I'm missing something? confused.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got me a 3l v6 DTi Signum and tuned via Mr Hoot..stone me its quick.. 215bhp, 320lb/ft ferrocious on the motorway and still 42mpg. AND THE SOUND is GORGEOUS! never owned a 6cylinder before. Just sold a 944 turbo (too costly to commute in) and this thing sounds SO much better (blasphemy!) my wife's car is a 91 Vtec CRX revs to 9,000 and sounds good too, but this, phwoaar.

And then it a manual Elite with many, many toys, TOTALLY changed the way I drive. Fan-bleedin-tatsic.

Diesel convert.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm..are we saying in the diesel camp here that BP is better than shell or about the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

From everything i've read on here, and personal experience, it only seems to be older diesel engines that really benefit from BP UD. Shell seems consistantly better than normal diesel on all cars.

If fuel was a more reasonable price, id happily pay for BP UD, but at todays stupidly expensive prices, im happy to stick with Shell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree SHELL is the best diesel by far, I have tried them all and SHELL seems to give good performance with best economy. For me anyway. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've just got me a 3l v6 DTi Signum and tuned via Mr Hoot..stone me its quick.. 215bhp, 320lb/ft ferrocious on the motorway and still 42mpg. AND THE SOUND is GORGEOUS! never owned a 6cylinder before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that V6 is a cracking engine! Good move.

The in-gear performance must be manic - and surprising to those behind!

Congrats on the Signum by the way. I really rate them highly. 169144-ok.gif

Ta, my only issue now is the fact that rear suspension makes odd noises, apparently the rear shocks are renowned for failing, so renewing them. There is also a groaning noise at very slow speeds particularly in reverse... anyone any ideas? wheel bearing perhaps? Vauxhall say the brakes are fine..

Still a wonderful car though, fitted Irmsher grille and chrome mirrors to it, and then 3-for-2 Halfords offer on Meguiars clay/polish/wax on it's metallic black bodywork, nice!

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Done about 1400 miles now and she's loosening up nicely. Used half litre of oil. It's the first diesel I've had - don't like the noise at low revs, slow pick up below turbo boost and smell of fumes when come to stop quickly. Overall though, the performance is acceptable - just need to keep it spinning over 2200rpm. Since new she's now averaged 44.5mpg (not reset the computer). 169144-ok.gif

Fuel economy aside, I really can't see what all the excitement over diesel engines are about over the past 5-7 years but perhaps I'm missing something? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get it remapped and you'll see. You should see 200bhp from that engine with a proper remap.