saw this and thought of TSN...

Paul

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh, more 1 series bashing....how new and interesting.

the_finger.gif

On a serious note, advertising like that really winds me up, trying to make someone buy a product purely because of the badge. There is far more to the 1 series than that and why is it not a 'proper BMW'? I can think of a load of reasons why it is a proper BMW, but nothing that backs up your point.

Mind you, with a couple of notable exceptions, Audi have been doing that for years (selling cars based on the badge). It certainly can't be because of the driving 'experience'. Unless you're into nose heavy, hard riding, poor steering, stodgy cars of course

FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't mind the 1 series, esp the 130i. .nice motor 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, but the 130i M Sport gets away with its ugly headlights because it's such a hoot to drive, and with the wheels and body kit it actually looks really well IMO. 169144-ok.gif

A basic SE, or Sport looks horrendous though, the M Sport looks significantly better.

[ QUOTE ]

Mind you, with a couple of notable exceptions, Audi have been doing that for years (selling cars based on the badge). It certainly can't be because of the driving 'experience'. Unless you're into nose heavy, hard riding, poor steering, stodgy cars of course

FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

SLEEP5.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts entirely Shark, the 1 series bashing has been done to death on TSN, but you still stuck your two penneth in. coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel better Martin, the 130i isn't so bad IMO. Decent engine, and the agressive looks means I quite like it. Especially in that purply blue colour. But I still hate the horrible interior, and as that's where I spend most of my working and personal life, I just couldn't have one I'm afraid.

The thing is, I don't rate it any higher than a sporty Megane or other hot hatch.

Let's be honest, you wouldn't have a bottom of the range one would you? And I wouldn't have a bottom of the range A3 either, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other IMO.

Why the ROLLEY~14.GIF ?

At least I’m speaking from experience, having tried a A3 2.0T S Line and A3 3.2 Sport before buying the 130 and a couple of A4’s before going for the Passat.

I wonder how many 1 series bashers have actually driven one?

If you don't like the styling, fair enough. That doesn't mean it's a crap car though. It's a love it or hate it type of car, but that's a good thing in my book, it means it isn't boring.

Ive just spent the week driving a 116i SE and its a great car. It has its issues (challenging looks and rear seat packaging) but overall it is a stunningly competent package.

The drive, refinement and comfort are all top notch. The 1 series bashing is so tiring, especially from people who have never driven one.

And if being ugly is a crime, then there are alot of people on TSN who are in trouble then.

I have been out in a 120d and it was being driven very hard - it handled well. I had a drive but obviously coming from a FWD A4 I didn't have a clue how to drive it, and I certainly wasn't going to learn in 10 minutes.

Everyone bangs on about the 1-series being a driver's car.. and maybe it is. But lets be honest, the people who buy the 1-series (with the 130i excepted) aren't buying it because it's a driver's car, they're buying it because it's got a blue propellor on the front, and they can't afford a 3-series.

Shark 90 - No, I wouldn’t have a bottom of the range one. I did look at a 120D SE with 17” wheels in black and that was a pretty nice car. Unfortunately it didn’t get a second thought once we’d tried the 130!

As for the interior, it’s much better when you have the leather sports seats and the various M Sport trinkets, the steering wheel in particular is an absolute thing of beauty and fantastic to hold.

Of course it should be rated higher than most hot hatches, not only does it have a special feel (both static and on the move), but more importantly it has a stonking 6 cylinder engine which lifts it above the likes of the Megane and Golf GTI in my opinion. In addition to that, you don’t have to be driving particularly quickly to appreciate the balance, steering feel, traction and the way you can thread a series of bends together. Trust me, it’s a great car!

This is what ours looks like inside:

M Sport Interior 1

M Sport Interior 2

[ QUOTE ]

I have been out in a 120d and it was being driven very hard - it handled well. I had a drive but obviously coming from a FWD A4 I didn't have a clue how to drive it, and I certainly wasn't going to learn in 10 minutes.

Everyone bangs on about the 1-series being a driver's car.. and maybe it is. But lets be honest, the people who buy the 1-series (with the 130i excepted) aren't buying it because it's a driver's car, they're buying it because it's got a blue propellor on the front, and they can't afford a 3-series.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right Ben, but does this merit the continuous digs.