So, is any hot hatch as good as the GTI at ExCeL

Simonl

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Clio 197, I loved this car, well built, great driving postion, and very comfortable. Exterior has just the right amount spoilers and vents etc. My only critisism were the wheels, they are more SE than Sport. Some Black CUP alloys would have made this great car look sensational. I actually found it much more comfortable than the Megane and would easily have a 197 over a 225.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wicked report there 169144-ok.gif

Have to say, I really like the new Clio 197, quite impressed with it, had a look at a black one at my local Renault dealer last saturday, finish and quality is all spot on, and something of a bargain too!

Can't argue with the spec either, I mean Brembo brakes as standard on a £16k car? Makes you realise how greedy VW actually are really doesn't it, why didn't the GTi have Brembo's as standard?

Seriously tempted to go for a 197, I know I was after a TT, but my house will be completed next Spring (2007) so a cheaper car would be ideal right now, and the Clio is definately that, especially if you buy from here

Sorry to go off topic a little, just my opinion ha.gif

Having owned several 'Supermini' sized hot hatches over the years, they always appear great value and have strong performance due to weight. I personally think that you really need something just a bit bigger and possibly heavier for everyday use....I'm thinking of wet weather driving, motorway miles etc. I guess it all depends on how may miles you will cover in one - I find there seems to be much more fatigue associated with travel in small cars. Just my opinion of course 169144-ok.gif

Yeah I agree, my GTi is fantastic down the motorway, but as you rightfully point out, it all depends what you use the car for. I only use my car weekends as I am self employed, so have the use of a van during the week, so motorway travel in a car is rare for me.

In all honesty too, I bought a copy of Autocar today, and they have a grouptest in Clio 197 v Focus ST v Astra VXR, they rate the Clio highly, and in actual fact, looking at the pics, the lastest generation car is quite a big vehicle really, especially with its wider track, suppose a test drive will tell all tho 169144-ok.gif

i test drove a 197 last week and thought it was very good.

didn't really open her up , but the positives were:

seat.

looks.

discounted price.

quality seemed excellent.

most of all , i was stunned by the suspension - lovely damping.- reminded me of how a boxster s travelled down a scarred road.

i have a mark 4 r32 and have now started to look for my next car.

tough one , as you all know it's a hard car to beat!!

I can live with the leon interior i don't think its as bad as people make out, theres a couple of bits i don't like but then there is in the GTI too for me. But i know i have different views to others on whats good plastic from the past.

Think i now know what our second car is going to be now(as long as they make this colour) after seeing all the competion in the flesh and having a good look round them all Video link

[ QUOTE ]

I plan to make a trip down to the motorshow over the weekend, so if anyone wants a photo of anything let me know and I'll do my best! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, there was that bit in the first post saying Vauxhall had the best birds on their stand ... any chance you might ... ?? beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

That volvo thing might be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

06-volvo-c30-f-st.jpg

I agree - 260 bhp, AWD, quality interior and Focus ST platform. I'm holding off to see the new S3 and C30 R before I make any decisions about what to go for next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like its going to be fitted with the 5 cylinder engine from the ST but pumping out only 217bhp for the time being. Still could be a option for those that don't like the GTI. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I can live with the leon interior i don't think its as bad as people make out, theres a couple of bits i don't like but then there is in the GTI too for me. But i know i have different views to others on whats good plastic from the past.

Think i now know what our second car is going to be now(as long as they make this colour) after seeing all the competion in the flesh and having a good look round them all Video link

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Snoopy, prefer the looks of the previous Cupra R, so will lookup how much they are when the GTI's another year older i think. The new Cupra is all too rounded and not butch enough for me. wink.gif

I visited yesterday, first of all how can that mazda be classed as a hot hatch, it the only thing in the looks dept its missing is its pipe n slippers. Focus ST was there with some different wheels accompanied by chavs wearing there in fashionable "elizabeth duke" £9.99 goldie looking chains. On the seat stand jason plato was there, nice chappie to be fair, the leon cupra, to me looked a little too high off the ground at the front, seats where ok, the interior very very cheap plastics, wasnt impressed at all. cars of the show for

me, ferrari enzo and mclaren LM F1.

Having just returned from the Motorshow, its painfully obvious to me that whilst the competitors may boast about extra BHP, there is no competition that comes anywhere close to Gti in terms of style and quality. Most of them are complete buckets of plastic. Geez, that new Civic is forking aweful. It looks like an arcade game inside. The only car of similar type and on a par is the BMW 130i. That Astra VXR would need to come with over 300BHP and a face mask before I was tempted. What a tacky racer.

I feel better now!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the leon cupra, to me looked a little too high off the ground at the front,

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked it still had the transportation rubber collors on the suspension on so it was high.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I now have mental images of Geoff being the only person at the show crawling underneath the show cars. You could get slapped if someone got the wrong idea grin.gif