Yeah right

Muppetboy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Some of those guys on the VXR thread are seriously deluded, I mean they talk about beating Nobles, Bentley GTs etc!

[/ QUOTE ]

Without wishing to point to anyone in this particular thread (because none of the posters so far are those I'm referring to)....

This very GTi forum has seen some of the WILDEST performance claims of any car forum on the web!!!!

Remember the AM DB9 that couldn't get away from the Golf GTi?

Remember the Golf GTi that would hit 60 in 5 seconds?

Remember the 'raced a so and so today' etc

There have been, literally, hundreds of them. Look elsewhere on TSN and you'll see plenty of references in humour of the GTi being 'the fastest car in the world' - and all those references are from this very forum and the claims that other TSN-ers have found very funny!

All I'm saying guys....it's a bit of the kettle calling the pot black!!!! grin.gifwink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Without wishing to point to anyone in this particular thread (because none of the posters so far are those I'm referring to)....

This very GTi forum has seen some of the WILDEST performance claims of any car forum on the web!!!!

There have been, literally, hundreds of them. Look elsewhere on TSN and you'll see plenty of references in humour of the GTi being 'the fastest car in the world' - and all those references are from this very forum and the claims that other TSN-ers have found very funny!

All I'm saying guys....it's a bit of the kettle calling the pot black!!!! grin.gifwink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I think there's been only a few such claims and some of the references have been GTIers taking the piss out of ourselves. The majority of us think the GTI is a very special car but do know its performance limitations.

Those VXR posts are far more extreme imo.

169144-ok.gif

I know the VX cars on TG descended into mental bouts of understeer, but does anyone remember Clarkson achieving something similar in a Lotus a couple of series ago? And then the guy from Lotus came along and showed him how to drive it properly.

Not saying the Vauxhalls would appear better in other hands, but it shows not everything is as straightforward as it first appears.

[ QUOTE ]

I know the VX cars on TG descended into mental bouts of understeer, but does anyone remember Clarkson achieving something similar in a Lotus a couple of series ago? And then the guy from Lotus came along and showed him how to drive it properly.

Not saying the Vauxhalls would appear better in other hands, but it shows not everything is as straightforward as it first appears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh totally. Apparently the Astra VXR used on TG initially had standard suspension (as in from a standard Astra, not the suspension used in the VXR), so that would have affected the handling. However, I know people who have driven them (for extended periods, not on short tests) and they weren't amazed. They maybe a half decent hot hatch, but I'd take the ST over one of them anyday! smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There have been, literally, hundreds of them. Look elsewhere on TSN and you'll see plenty of references in humour of the GTi being 'the fastest car in the world'

[/ QUOTE ]

As Red said, i've only experienced two or three wild claims (the two you've mentioned) in the 18 months i've been reading this forum. These were then taken as gospel by the others on TSN and has been batted around ever since (not that we care)... what's that expression... dung.gif sticks.

Hardly hundreds of wild claims tongue.gif

If you actually look at the cars profile, you'll know exactly why it wasn't painted. It's so the side skirts have a consistent line through the rear bumper, which IMO looks much better than a painted rear valance anyway.

Those GTI's that have been fully colour coded look more SE than GTI IMO.

I think I prefer the unpainted bumper look too... though it's better with some colours than others.

What I could never understand was Audi not bothering to finish painting the back of the old A6. That did look odd.

As for the VXR, it's the front they should probably not bother painting - save on all those stone chips from tailgating 911s... tongue.gif