11 mpg from my A8

pras1011

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I took a coring bit and drilled 3 x 2" holes in the bottom of my airbox (i live in spain, and need more air!), and although I couldnt say it is more responsive, it feels like it is, sounds like a v8! (people turn around when you open her up!) and it will hit a registered 170mph on the speedo regularly, and still has more go. It often makes me wonder how accurate this speedo is??

[/ QUOTE ]

170 EEK2.GIF was that down hill, with a tail wind and being towed by an de-restricted S8 wink.gif Defo something wrong with the speedo my friend.

I'm gonna see if I can tap some free steam air from the air vent at the bottom of the bumper, next to where the aletrnator gets its cooling from 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it´s the air over here. everytime i hit the motorway, it winds round to 160 quickly, then continues easily to 170. never felt a rev limiter. maybe the increased airflow helps acheive the speed, and maybe the previous owner had the restrictor taken off? Feels much more planted at speed than my 996 C4 did.

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

On a fast motorway cruise like sticking at 90mph without using cruise control just your foot control speed what sort of MPG do you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

For my 2.8... 32MPG. Did it last week for best part of 450 miles and certainly for 30+ mins at a time to get a decent reading.

Dropping to 80 raised the figure to 33.5.

Didnt try any slower - speed limits are designed to be broken lol.

I did a 200 mile road trip to the lakes last weekend. The trip computer average for the journey was 28.5mpg. I would say the journey was around half and half motorway / a-road with around 20 minutes traffic involved. The journey was in normal Auto mode (Not sport).

On motorway use with little traffic I have seen the MPG average 35 or more. In town driving it hard in sport mode it has been as low as 10 -12. Conclusions, sport mode and traffic these things drink petrol at a fearsome rate. But its a big heavy fast car so to be expected.

Its a 3.7 Quattro A8 on an 02 plate.

In my experience of Spanish police, well traffic police anyway. They seem extremely relaxed and didn't pull me and 2 other cars in a convoy doing 120mph.

I've seen plenty of cars going very very fast on Spanish highways. Best thing I ever saw was a Mercedes S-Class I can only presume it was an AMG. I was doing 120mph and it SHOT past completely rocked my car around. Nice...

French police suck though.