So would this tempt us!!!

Simonl

I don't know why Audi continue to have this problem. While you would expect the S4 to be tight and very well tied down the ride in most Audi's is just jarring.

I'm really fond of the brand - I've owned a few and now that the single grille look is getting better integrated with each new model I would happily buy an Audi again in the future - if it weren't so jittery and unpleasant riding.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest BlueTiT

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know how much these will start from?

£25k + ?

Also im guessing the engine is like a Remapped GTI engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess again.

Here's how they did it:

>> New turbo. Larger compressor and rotor blades which will give 1.2 bar of boost pressure as standard. The last S3 was circa 1.3 when chipped - this is high for a standard VAG.

>> New inter-cooler setup.

>> All the extra pressure means that the piston pins, con rods and main engine block have been strengthened up. The head was also replaced with a slightly thicker heat resistant alloy. (also stronger).

>> Engine timings tweaked all over the shop. Advanced fuel timings and exhaust cam shaft being two to note.

>> The fuel injectors had to be upgraded with new high pressure units.

>> New better breathing exhaust system to reduce back pressure.

There's a bunch of other changes too but that's how the 265PS was achieved. I know you're thinking but hang on, i can get 250+PS out of my 2.0T with just a remap, but the difference is that's the "safe" LIMIT of the 2.0T GTI TFSI without then making changes to the physical setup (air intake, exhaust, cooling etc).

This is 265 in a standard VAG tune. If you remap this brute (presuming it's going to be able to deal with 1.45+bar) you'll be around the 290+PS mark. Can anyone say after market brakes?

From the Audi website:

"S3 drives all four wheels by means of quattro permanent four-wheel drive. An electronically controlled multi-plate clutch, positioned at the rear for the benefit of weight balance, distributes the torque as needed – delivering plenty of grip and maximum driving safety. All the components in the drive train have been strengthened to cope with the high level of engine torque"

No mention of what the standard running is but I would guess they have followed the safety first and the front wheels will be driven until slip is detected and then the power sent to the rear. I had the previous two S3's (210 & 225) and I just wish they would give it a rear/front split like on the RS4 rather than a FWD until things get messy. If they did that it would seperate it from the R32, and take on the 130M from BMW.

A Warm Welcome to TSN, BlueTiT 169144-ok.gif.

Great post for a first one 169144-ok.gif - Very informative and backs up my caution about how much to re-map a standard factory car.

I guess that the next generation GTI (Mk6) will get such engine modifications. Interesting that cars just get more and more powerful from generation to generation.

Welcome BlueTiT 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The last S3 was circa 1.3 when chipped - this is high for a standard VAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true though - 1.4-1.55 bar (atmospheric) is the norm for a remapped S3. Mine is adjustable up to 1.55bar. Then again, as many S3 owners know, boost isn't the only way to achieve power gains. In fact, more boost = more heat so actually just upping the boost is an exercise in dimishing returns. There's lots of power to be unlocked in the timing also.

The changes to the 2.0T FSI engine are of the same ilk as those to the 1.8T 150 K03-based engine to make the last S3. Interestingly, there is the odd doubt about whether the strengthening they talked about last time ever happened. It probably did though.

Robin, not sure what you mean by caution with standard factory cars...? We must have done a few million remapped miles between us on TSN with barely any issues at all. Fact is, the 1.8T lump that most of us have remapped is fairly bulletproof. Here's hoping the 2.0T FSI is similarly resilient 169144-ok.gif

I've had a remap for almost 4 years and 30,000 + miles and its all good.

Hi Mollox, all I mean is that the more anyone pushes the envelope by re-mapping without additional 'hardware' mods, the more stresses and potential problems there may be in the longer term. This is supported by the upgraded components listed by BlueTiT methinks. My understanding is that VW (for example) build in approx 40% 'headroom' - So going for 280bhp on a 200bhp factory release and doing so without further mods is probably asking for potential problems. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't currently think so.

People do it of course and sell their cars after only a few years. Have you only done 30,000 miles in 4 years? Or perhaps you do 30K per year. Perhaps your car hasn't been re-mapped to the max limits. Glad to hear it's good 169144-ok.gif.

[ QUOTE ]

A 5 door would be good, but it will never handle as good as a GTI. Extra weight of the 4WD will also compromise performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's anything like the RS4 it will be sensational. The haldex AWD system sits in the boot so the weight should be very evenly distributed. The GTI is crying out for some AWD grip IMO, and with 265 it will be essenstial.

[ QUOTE ]

The claim is 0-60 in 5.7 sec but I find this difficult to believe as the BHP will be 265 and 350Nm of torque. If this is true, it certainly would be a car to consider in 5 door form

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily achievable with 265 from the 2.0T. Think about how fast the R32 is with all that extra weight and 250hp (6.2) 15hp more, a lighter kerb weight and no doubt different gearing should shave some time of that figure easy. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, there is the odd doubt about whether the strengthening they talked about last time ever happened. It probably did though.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine who rebuilds Audi engines says you can tell the difference when you strip them side by side.

[ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that VW (for example) build in approx 40% 'headroom'

[/ QUOTE ]

headroom->life expectancy

Gearbox's in resent years are the main concern in my view if up'ing power.

Myself i don't class 30K as a showing no problems if its 130,000+ then maybe but nearer 200K then its more or less shown but has to be repeated many times.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess that the next generation GTI (Mk6) will get such engine modifications. Interesting that cars just get more and more powerful from generation to generation.

[/ QUOTE ] prob the 240PS out the Leon but more than likley if there ready a TSI (super charged/turbocharged) engine. wink.gif

Maybe they will stick with similar power as present and even use a 195PS 1.6 TSI unit for lightweight but that prob a GT version by then.

Weight and size gain is norm the reason for more power over the generations this is norm now due to crash test extras and equipment as well as normal diemension gains.

Guest BlueTiT

[ QUOTE ]

Welcome BlueTiT 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Been around for a while but thought it was about time i joined in.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The last S3 was circa 1.3 when chipped - this is high for a standard VAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true though - 1.4-1.55 bar (atmospheric) is the norm for a remapped S3. Mine is adjustable up to 1.55bar. Then again, as many S3 owners know, boost isn't the only way to achieve power gains. In fact, more boost = more heat so actually just upping the boost is an exercise in dimishing returns. There's lots of power to be unlocked in the timing also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it that's a revo chip? You are right though, i did quote quite conservatively. Still my point is that at 1.2bar its quite a high 'standard' boost level.

Advancing the ignition timings really needs access to a high quality of fuel (RON) which can deal with greater pressure/temperature before combustion or you'll get knock and the ECU will automatically back off. This is why some tuners offer a RON98 only map etc.

Knock being when the fuel/air mix gets ignited too early and the piston isn't on its down stroke. In fact here is a much better explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knock

Red,

Big article here in Motor magazine this month - modding a GTI. The package delivered 180kw (240bhp) and 400nm (295 lb/ft). A QSZ remap, milltek twin exhaust in Hi flow configuration, new BSM (?) air fliter and intake, plus Eibach springs - not the Koni's though.

Apart form traction in the wet (yes, i know it is something fairly important to exclude - especially if you live in Melbourne) the car got the thumbs up.

Hi Oz > Gosh! That's almost exactly my spec - They haven't got the KoniFSDs but I haven't got a re-map. I wonder if they read our Tyresmoke forums! Is there a web link for that magazine?

Milltek are manufacturing more sets of quads for the Mk5 GTI, but not all are Hi-flow like mine.