Audi R8 Update...............!!

sidicks

I spoke to my dealer today to see whether there was any news about the Audi R8 I've ordered.......

The guy I spoke to claimed to have been to Germany to see the car quite recently and had been very impressed (well, he would say that, wouldn't he!)

He was expecting some more information from Audi in the near future but indicated the following:

- dealers will be contacting those who have already expressed an interest (or paid a deposit) to confirm the order priority

- The first cars are likely to be have the 4.2 V8 from the RS4, uprated to around 430bhp, and will cost around £70-£75k

- the 5.2 V10 will follow 6-12 months later (no price given)

If I get anything in writing from Audi, then I'll scan it and post it on here !

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

The guy I spoke to claimed to have been to Germany to see the car quite recently and had been very impressed (well, he would say that, wouldn't he!)

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer I collected my RS4 Avant from on Saturday said he had been to the Nurburgring a couple of weeks ago and while there (having been reminded not to say anything!) they were shown R8 prototypes, in very light disguise, which were at the Nurburgring for performance and handling testing. He too was very impressed with the R8, and even mentioned it again on Saturday - I think he's trying to sell me an R8!

Saw a letter when I was in at my dealers yesterday from Audi UK. They wanted a list of all people that had paid deposits with dates. My mate has been to Germany and seen the car. He says that the panel that you can have colour coded looks fantastic in carbon trim.

Delivery on an 07 plate in March?

Personally I'd be one for a V8 as I can't see the V10 being worth the extra wait and cost if it only has another 50 bhp or so.

I'd still like the V8 to cost under £70k with a few toys on though. Also hoping that it weighs 1500kg rather than the 1650kg of the RS4 saloon.

Hi fatcat,

Hope things are going well. I have been busy this year and not had the chance to go to any meets etc.

I have moved to the dark side for the time being and am enjoying riding my Yamaha R6 about (especially fun on the ring! wink.gif) although I still have a thing about the new RS4. In the flesh that car is mint!

Nice to see some of the 'old' members are still hanging about! smile.gif

R8 is going to be near 80k starting! low 4 sec to 62mph. as said starting with the 4.2 v8, full alloy chassis and carbon goodies.

Audi Uk have been asked to get any top draw orders in to the factory so they can plan the launch and production of the R8

I've got a funny feeling it will do well, probably not as well as the pure sports car manufacturers do, but maybe in its own right. I can see it being a slow burner, i.e. not selling many for the first year or so, but picking up gradually until its a universally accepted success. Audi don't seem to going over the top with the build up to the launch, I think they'll let the quality and dynamics speak for themselves instead...

Then again, maybe i've just bought into the corporate cr@p a little too much crazy.gif

Its not going to be a car thats massed produced now though is it! Think its more of similar thing along the ,ines of teh Vayron, just to prove they can build a super car!! Ill check on the priceing tomoz when I get back to the office.

But IIRC Its btween 75-80k! Specs should be confirmed by the end of this year!!

As I said Audi are at the moment gaugeing peoples intrest for it!! And Top Draw orders can be submitted for it along with the new s3 etc!!

[ QUOTE ]

Well when you consider an SL55 is chump change off £100k basic, £115k laden, this Audi at £80k if the performance is better than say 10 secs to 100 and has a good interior could be a good proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but a one year old SL55 trades at £60k. Mmmm!

[ QUOTE ]

Well when you consider an SL55 is chump change off £100k basic, £115k laden, this Audi at £80k if the performance is better than say 10 secs to 100 and has a good interior could be a good proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the merc badge is better than the audi badge, the merc is a convertible it looks pretty unlike the R8 IMO).

If they'd put a lambo or bugatti badge on it, then I can see people paying £100k base, but with an audi badge..?

Look at the phaeton - the badge doesn't cut it. In supercar leauge I don't know if the audi badge will.

[ QUOTE ]

But that R8 is mid engined... Like a Ferrari, and its almost as fast as one too. It looks like a supercar...

[/ QUOTE ]

To my mind, "Supercars" need a 0-60mph in less than 4seconds, and generally start at £100k - e.g. Porsche 911 (997) TT

A 'normal' 911 is a Sports Car but not a supercar.

However, the R8 with 430bhp in a light weight 2 seater, mid-engine body will have Supercar performance but not supercar pricing, so I've no doubt it will sell well.

Basically you will get Turbo performance for 911 'S' money......

sidicks

I can see it being as fast as the Turbo, it would be nice to pip the 10 second barrier, but it certainly wont pip the 9. I still cant get through my head how the turbo has done it with such little horsepower. Doing 1/4 miles in 11.3 seconds is usually a time saved for the 600bhp+ heavyweights!