Audi R8 Update...............!!

sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

£80K for an Audi!!

With the residuals the way they are you would have to have some balls to buy that, you can buy a 2005 LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO for under £90k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gizze , i always like your postS because your spot on ! SPericani2.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

But that R8 is mid engined... Like a Ferrari, and its almost as fast as one too. It looks like a supercar...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. that is a point.. but its still 80K for an audi. Look at the M6 - a poor seller even though it is massivley fast - the BMW badge doesn't seem to be good enough for the 80K+ bracket.

Maybe my view is being clouded by the fact that I don't like the look of it, but I can't see people buying a car for 80K that wears an audi badge when for the same cash they could have a porsche or a 2nd hand lambo.

To me, the R8 doens't do what an RS audi should do which is go really fast but be really subtle (to the untrained eye). The R8 is too flashy to appeal to people who want subtle rockets, but not prestige enough to appeal to people who want to show off wealth. (Saying that, I'm sure that it'll be the biggest seller ever! smashfreakB.gif)

Just what I think. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

To me, the R8 doens't do what an RS audi should do which is go really fast but be really subtle (to the untrained eye). The R8 is too flashy to appeal to people who want subtle rockets, but not prestige enough to appeal to people who want to show off wealth. (Saying that, I'm sure that it'll be the biggest seller ever! smashfreakB.gif)

Just what I think. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on that.

A key part of the secret of the niches within the Audi brand is that somebody who isn't into cars shouldn't be able to tell the difference between an A4, an S4 and an RS4 ... or an A6, an S6 and an RS6 or ... you get my drift. As car nuts we find that hard to believe that there are lots of people out there who cannot tell the difference - it's amazing but true.

The R8 name says it all - there's no S. Audi will have to establish a new niche within the brand for the R model(s?). That will take time and there's a risk they might not be able to pull it off, especially since they're up against established marques like Porshce, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. But if they do pull it off, early purchasers of the R8 could see some really nice residuals. If they don't pull it off, the residuals will drop like a stone (remember the Renault Alpine A310?).

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Dealer told me i can spec it December with delivery either late Dec early Jan. Winter driving with slicks .................. should b fun smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bit close to the GT3 mk III arriving maybe...??

[/ QUOTE ]

He is talking about the GT3 Garath.

I cant work out the benefits of owning an R8 - I can really see it going the same way as the M5. The market they are aiming at drive Lambo', Ferrari, Porsches. Please tell me the reason why you would want to change from one of these to an R8 the badge does not do enough. Residuals well thats another joke ask all the speculators with RS4.

Pricing is all wrong at that level.

This is not a supercar, its suposed to be a competitor to the 6 series, or was anyway. With an M6 being well under £70k, I am not sure you will see too many in the UK.

LHD for 20% less in Europe or 40% less in the USA might be an option though.

[ QUOTE ]

This is not a supercar, its suposed to be a competitor to the 6 series, or was anyway. With an M6 being well under £70k, I am not sure you will see too many in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally right - they are going to overprice this one big time!

I am slightly new to all this but can inform that the R8 will be shown in all its glory at the Paris motor show in September and the first customer orders may well be open for factory ordering in October of this year ready for a July delivery. The V8 will come first and the V10 will follow the year after with an expected 602 BHP and an OTR of £100k approx. If anyone has any Audi questions Daz knows who I am as I supplied his RS4 Cabriolet.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how it can possibly purport to be a competitor to the 6-series if it is purely a 2-seater.........??

Sidicks

If it's 70K for the V8 then it has got to be financial suicide. I would rather have a second hand Gallardo. The R8 might press all the right supercar buttons wrt performance when it arrives but it will not be percieved as a supercar. Cannot see many people choosing and "Audi" over a Lambo or Porker. Can you confused.gif

If they get the marketing right then it could be another TT in the making for Audi. If not a damp expensive squib.

[ QUOTE ]

If it's 70K for the V8 then it has got to be financial suicide. I would rather have a second hand Gallardo. The R8 might press all the right supercar buttons wrt performance when it arrives but it will not be percieved as a supercar. Cannot see many people choosing and "Audi" over a Lambo or Porker. Can you confused.gif

If they get the marketing right then it could be another TT in the making for Audi. If not a damp expensive squib.

[/ QUOTE ]

EssFour - while the fact that you support the world's greatest football team does provide you with some credibility 169144-ok.gif , I do have to disagree with you on this one:

At 70k, you'd be looking at a pretty old, ropey Gallardo (LHD)? compared with a brand new Audi.

At 70k a 4.2V8 Audi that would be more exclusive, cheaper, and faster than a 91 Carrera S has to be worth consideration, providing the dynamics and the standard equipment is judged appropriately.

I'm not saying it will be aeasy, but I think Audi could pull this one off.........!!

Sidicks

I have the information that the V8 will cost around the £75k mark but then thinking about it the car is meant to be €95k so put that into the exchange rate and I think it comes out around the £68k mark.

I would imagine that Audi have done their homework on the vehicle in terms of pricing/specification etc and wouldn't be asking the money for it if it wasn't viable and trust me when you see the R8 in the flesh it blows any other supercar away even the Lambos, it is one of the best looking cars I have every seen.

[ QUOTE ]

EssFour - while the fact that you support the world's greatest football team does provide you with some credibility 169144-ok.gif , I do have to disagree with you on this one:

At 70k, you'd be looking at a pretty old, ropey Gallardo (LHD)? compared with a brand new Audi.

At 70k a 4.2V8 Audi that would be more exclusive, cheaper, and faster than a 91 Carrera S has to be worth consideration, providing the dynamics and the standard equipment is judged appropriately.

I'm not saying it will be aeasy, but I think Audi could pull this one off.........!!

Sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand where your coming from on all accounts. But as I mentioned before given a choice I think most people would pay a little extra and go for second hand porkers or lambos.

As has been stated before by others audi is up their as a "prestige" mark but in peoples perception not in the same league as a lambos, even though they're owned by audi, or the porkers of this world.