What would you change on the mk5?

Snoopy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here goes for my thoughts... grin.gif

1. The sound system is totally substandard for a £21k car. Would be better described as a 'wirless' or 'transister radio'.

2. Improved rubber seal around engine bay to keep dirt out.

3. Xenons & Highline should be standard kit given the asking price.

4. Improved rear bumper design with colour coding taken a little lower perhaps

5. Cheaper Sat Nav option...say £850 with bluetooth built in.

6. More choice of colours?

Not much more really....shows what a decent package it already is! 169144-ok.gif

1- Making the speedo readable would be a start

2- A decent handle for the glovebox

3- Stop water running in from the window when car is wet (WTF is that all about?)

4- Make sunroof open fully (without having to hold knob)

5- No pinging when I put a bag of shopping on the passengers seat to tell me it's not wearing it's feckin' seatbelt

6- Better dealers

7- oh and upgrade my 17's to 18's for free grin.gif

1. Bigger paddles (DSG).

2. Heads-up speed and (for DSG) gear readout in the windscreen. Or very large digital display.

3. Improved rear valance.

4. A centre armrest which projects a little further forward and which stays properly locked into place.

5. Deeper/bigger hooks in the boot for hanging shopping.

I can't think of anything else, other than the mods I have already done....Excellent package! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

1. Bigger paddles (DSG).

2. Heads-up speed and (for DSG) gear readout in the windscreen. Or very large digital display.

3. Improved rear valance.

4. A centre armrest which projects a little further forward and which stays properly locked into place.

5. Deeper/bigger hooks in the boot for hanging shopping.

I can't think of anything else, other than the mods I have already done....Excellent package! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No pink paint option? yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

3- Stop water running in from the window when car is wet (WTF is that all about?)

5- No pinging when I put a bag of shopping on the passengers seat to tell me it's not wearing it's feckin' seatbelt

[/ QUOTE ]

Totaly agree with both the above, especially the water running in off the roof, fecking annoying. smashfreakB.gif169144-ok.gif

1. Heads up display would be amazing (but going to be a few more years before we see this on a £20K golf IMO)

2. Stereo that sounds even halfway reasonable ... this is very poor ... I never thought VW stereo would be as bad as Skoda... so cheap to fix as well... simply amazing that VW have penny pinched so much here

3. Better feel and response from brakes .. biased I know but too arcade IMO wink.gif

In my honest opinion, the car should definately have come with brembo brakes as standard, if Renault can on all of their 'Sport' range then why couldn't VW on the GTi, especially with its overly high price tag.

Everything else? Pretty much spot on, maybe tougher leather, as I am finding mine marks ever so easily SAUER0421.GIF

Also think they could have made the rear a little more differentiated than the base Golf models, I saw a base 1.6 Golf other day in Red and the guy had fitted a sports exhaust (twin pipes) and it looked almost like a GTi from the rear smashfreakB.gif

Have to say tho, on the whole, VW got it pretty much spot on with the GTi, and it'll be interesting to see where they go with the Mk6 Golf GTi jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

TT > Do you know you can get aftermarket open vents? Check the recent thread in this forum.

Good to meet you recently and be able to put a real face to a weird TSN name! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Robin - I plan to order some of those vents shortly from the link in that thread. grin.gif Great to meet you too...and see those amazing quads in real life! They must also look good on a cold winter morning with all 4 pipes belching smoke! Was a bit surprised tho...thought your GTI was pink yelrotflmao.gif

There are just a couple of things:

- an improved stereo as standard - while its not dreadful it could be better

- more feel to the DSG system, especially the paddles, changing via the stick I think gives a reasonable feel but could still be better

- a head up display would be brilliant

- in Australia 18's as standard - love my 18's now I've got them!!

- a red that doesn't look pink in photos

I still think it is a damn fine car 12 months on

As standard spec.

1. Bigger paddles for DSG

2. Bigger gear read out on computer for DSG

3. 10% louder exhaust noise and deeper note on tick-over

4. 10mm lower

5. Colour coding of rear bumper and a re-designed defuser to distinguish more agressive rear as a GTI model

6. Half leather seats

7. Standard Monzas as 18" wheel (not the Monza II finish)

8. Metal finish foot reat to match peddles

9. Extra 30bhp (as per Anni spec)

10. 10% bigger exhuaust pipes

11. Gti edition mats

12. Partially opening rear windows (3 door)

13. All honeycomb holes open by foglights

14. Auto change to 1st, only at standstill

15. And last, but not least, ability to turn on front fogs only.