Advice on Boxster S & wet/cold/winter driving

AL B

Hello everyone,

It's been a long time, I know.

Been thinking about selling my S3 and getting a Boxster S (986). Looking 04 or 03 models, which obviously have the 260bhp and glass rear window.

Had a little browse of this forum, and it would seem quite a few of the old timers, who had A3's and S3's have moved on to Boxster S's.

So how do the two cars compare?

I have read a number of reviews which say the Boxster is one of the finest handling cars around. Lots of grip in the dry and hard to get the back end out in the dry. But what's it like in the wet/winter? How have you guys got on with it?

I test drove a 987 S yesterday, but didn't really "test" it just drove quite calmly really - due to it being totally unfamiliar. The engine sounds simply amazing compared to the S3.

But overall, what really concerns me is what its like in wet weather. And what is it like on the crappy un-gritted urban roads we get in the UK, where the snow has fallen and then frozen over night.

I'm obviously used to driving the S3 just as fast in the wet as in the dry due to the 4wd. In snow/ice I am very careful, as traction is great, but no good if you can't stop.

So I would really appreciate your advice.

Cheers

AL

grin.gif Hi Al - hope we can be of help 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif I went from the R32 to the Boxster S - its a very different car to drive but just as much fun and flipping quick jump.gif

There are times I miss the reassurance of 4wd but 90% of the time the amazing grip provided by the Boxster and the Michelin Pilot Sports is more than enough unless you are giving it serious abuse in damp or wet conditions 169144-ok.gif

Personally I've not driven mine in the snow, yet - but when the snow does fall I'll be out and about as per usual (mines done 18k in its first year!) - though I will be mindful that you do have to modify your driving style being a bit on the sensible side when swapping between hot tarmac and wet/greasy/snowy roads 169144-ok.gif

Thanks Bazza.

What about launching off on a roundabout, damp conditions. Whats that like? Is the PSM good?

Of the things I have read or people I have spoken to, there seemed to be a mixture of reports. Some folk say they are hard to get unstuck wet or dry, yet some people say they are quite easy to spin in the wet, like setting at a roundabout, or exiting a roundabout.

I have to say, I'm quite nervous about switching to rwd. It will be totally new to me.

AL

grin.gif actually when I say I went from the R32 to the Boxster I had a VX220 Turbo in the middle which was a bit of a baptism of fire into rear wheel drive yelrotflmao.gif

The Porsche traction control is quite hard to trigger and when it does it not intrusive as such, just really there to help you when it all gets a bit hairy, which is does now and again 169144-ok.gif

In the dry I've never had any problems with traction - launching from lights or into roundabouts it just goes - no spin or rev cutting, just forward motion which is great!

In the wet the PSM will cut in if you give it loads but its not too over the top - very quickly you find the cars limits and keep within them in the dodgy conditions. If you turned the PSM off and booted it everywhere in the damp I'm sure at some point you'll arrive backwards in a hedge - but your driving style will adapt to accept the new car you're in - just like it adapted to accept the S3's 4wd abilities 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif Be careful when getting to know a rear wheel drive car, just take it easy for a bit - I'm sure you'll love it - go for it! 169144-ok.gif

Al

How you doing I have had two S3s, and an R32 before going to the Boxster. Only had one bad experiance in the Boxster went round an island in really bad rain and the car totally understeered, as I was tried to correct it then threw me 360 degrees so I was facing the on coming traffic. My own fault to fast into the island. If you stick with the old slow in and power out of corners you will be fine. I would never consider going back to a four wheel drive car, unless it was a 997 turbo.

The Boxster gives you so much confidence and is so much fun to drive, you can feel exactly how the car will react before it does, you will be amazed how good a driver it makes you feel and the PSM is also very good.

I test drove a Caymen S and the 987s yesterday and I am now looking for a black 2.7 987, although the other two cars are awsome I just can not justfy another £120 a month extra cash for another 10-15% of car. I have my 2001 2.7 Boxster to chop in and I reckon I will get £16k for it making my payments between £210 - £220 a month on a £36k motor. Just need to find the right car now.

The only downside is the maintenance on the cars Porsche charge £99 an hour labour, my last service bill was £4,200 included 48,000 mile service, a years warranty as well as new clutch, RMS seal, four new disks and pads and four new tyres.

Al just do it, you wont regret it.

Hi Al how you doing?

Am about to reluctantly sell my 987S but its a fantastic car. I have driven in in all weathers, even on a very wet Nurburgring and whilst the car was a little twitchy in these conditions it was giving feedback all the time. They can catch you out if you are ham fisted with the car but PSM is very good if you can find a 986 with it (it was an option but now standard).

Cheers

Dave

Gabster! Dave! Hi. Its been a long time. Glad you guys are still around.

I'm ok. Just getting sick of the S3 and its performance/hesitation problem. Took a break from the forums for a while over the last 2.5 years. Been on them on and off, but not very often. Don't really do meets and drives etc. these days. I think the S3's long running hesitation problem got the better of me, and made the car, just a car. Which is a shame.

@Gabster

So by lifting off to correct the understeer, as you are supposed to do, it spun on you! Christ. I'll have to be careful.

You've sh#t-me up with that servicing bill though mate! That is a serious amount of dosh!

So what are the servicing intervals then? When does the clutch need changing? I heard at 40K? How long to the brakes last? Again, I heard that porsches do go through disks and pads rapidly.

What tyres did you go for?

@Dave

I can remember when you had your first Boxster S. And I remember you were very cautious at the Buxton run - obviously there was reason to be, as conditions were a bit damp if I remember. I guess you gained your confidence over the following years and continued with the rwd setup. I think that says a lot, that you stuck with it.

So they are perfectly drivable in winter then? How careful do you have to be, really? How much can you press on in wet weather, and still get places quickly? Would the boxster be far behind an S3 or lets say a modern fwd hatch like Focus ST?

I guess what I'm asking is, due to having to back-off a bit in the wet, how much does it affect your abilities to shake off the folk who want to scalp a Porsche?

Yes PSM seems to be rare on 986's - but its my top requirement now!! :-)

AL

I think the Boxster is a great start to RWD motoring, really planted - to the extent it is quite daft, the car just corners sooo neutrally, you cannot detect where the centre of gravity is in the car (my car is PASM equipped so no doubt that helps!).

The CSL was a headache in the winter, too much torque and power (for me) to use anything like full throttle - so much so that I swapped it for the Boxster.

The S3 is a great car, but ultimately too easy to drive and is a whole world apart from driving a Boxster.

My Audi garage charges at least £100/hour labour - plus the Porsche is on 2 year service intervals so cannot be any more expensive really.

Like DHA, I'm also selling the Boxster, me because it just isn't getting used (200 miles/month!). I'd rather have one over an S3 any day of the week - Porsche know how to make cars that drive well, Audi still have a way to go!

All the best

Ben

I'm looking to sell both our cars and get a 535D/335D and a cheapy to take to work and back.

I had ordered an RS4 but cancelled as it would be an expensive crime to either a) let the wife and baby use it or b)leave it in the car park all day ( I work a mile from home also!).

The daft thing is that every weekend for at least the next month I won't be able to use the Boxster as I'm busy at weddings and god knows what else.

Ho hum

Al

I found the right car black body on basalt black 18 inch S wheels, Sound plus system, rear aprking sensors, heated seats, extra alarm system and auto climate control.

300 miles ex demo registered June 06 with Nottingham Porcshe, cost £36k gave me £16,500 for my car and the payments are £208 a month, pick her up Friday, ace.

Cant wait I love these cars.

Al

They are easy to drive dont let my silly and poor driving put you off. I tried another car with 9,000 miles same price with 19 inch Chrono sports on them, but I found the ride a bit hard, supposed to be better with the higher grade suspension option.

Dave

Thanks for offering me your car, its really lovely I am sure you will have no trouble getting rid of it. I love the black though, mare to keep clean though.

896346-WP0ZZZ98Z6U704737_1.jpg

896346-WP0ZZZ98Z6U704737_4.jpg

post-26-13791437049_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Al

I found the right car black body on basalt black 18 inch S wheels, Sound plus system, rear aprking sensors, heated seats, extra alarm system and auto climate control.

300 miles ex demo registered June 06 with Nottingham Porcshe, cost £36k gave me £16,500 for my car and the payments are £208 a month, pick her up Friday, ace.

Cant wait I love these cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Great stuff 169144-ok.gif

grin.gif Does that make you hairdresser 3 or 4 ? jump.gif

I am already a hairdresser thanks. Pround of my skill with the straightners.

I just love Boxsters, they are so much fun to drive, they really made me realise its not about sheer BHP but feel handling and balance, my mate who has an Exige used to casticate me for always quoting 0-60 times and BHP when looking for cars. Hey its not how big your cock is its what you do with it.................

...................guys with small cocks always say that dont they.

Bazza, I though mine was getting caned at 14k in the first year, but 18k in a Boxster is some going. It's rapidly approaching service time - "it may be worth replacing all your discs and pads, not because they are worn. It's just what we say that to all OPC clients"

Gabster,

That looks bloody gorgeous!

All,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the handling & wet weather etc.

But...

My heart and the driver in me wants the Boxster S.

My head is saying...

- wait and see what the new S3 is like, and

- 4wd is always going to be an advantage in wet/winter weather.

- new S3 has more options for the price I will shell out on an 03 or 04 Boxster.

Arrrgh! I don't know what I want!

Well, actually, I know I'd love the Boxster right up until the first bit of bad weather and loss of grip where I sh#t myself - and then I'll wish I had an S3 again.

AL