[Audi A3/S3] Koni shocks and H&R springs

DuncS3

my requirements for upgrading my suspension are these:

lower the car about 20mm (but not make the car max power low rider style)

stop body roll

improve handling

not to make the car any harder so it crashes over potholes and drains, as it does that already imo

AMD and QST suggest Koni adjustable shocks and either MTM or H&R springs.

Any one got any comments on this sort of setup. Both tuners said coliovers were too harsh for road use in their opinion...If my car ends up near the R32 handling i will be very pleased. Apparently the R32 uses Bilstein shocks and H&R springs?

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]

Mick your car is so clean!

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanna see it at the moment frown.gifdung.gifsuicide.gif

Dunno if "big improvement" is a little generous.

I would say that it is quite an improvement. The car has less bodyroll and actually feels more planted on the road. It is when you drive the car how it is meant to be driven then the suspension setup seems to help in making the car feel more sturdy. Not too sure on oversteer etc...All I know is with the suspension/brake setup I feel more confident in driving the car to it's best potential wink.gif

Obviously this has sacrificed a little bit of ride quality but nothing too much. I don't even notice it now smirk.gif

Dunc, i personally disagree with the opinion of both tuners u asked, Ive got H&R coilovers fitted to my car and in no way is the ride too harsh for the roads, in more ways its actually BETTER than the original setup. Ok its not as soft as the original but as with any form of lowering on a car it will make the ride harder. But in no way is it even slightly uncomfortable.

You can easily have them set up to the desired ride height.

The H&R setup is probably the best setup you can get for nearly any make of car.

beerchug.gif

Mo - I have driven SitaS3s car, which has KW Coilovers and no way did i think that was too hard either. Sometimes its hard to tell if the advice you get is really impartial.

Coilovers are approx 1100 quid though and I will not want to change the ride height as I simply wouldnt be bothered (or capable!) - thats the main benefit of coilovers isnt it? so will try the shocks and springs.

Dunc

I have the Koni's and H&R springs (35mm) on my A3. The front shock are hardened by 1 full turn (max hardness is 2 full turns), and the rear shocks are on the softest setting.

Body roll is greatly reduced (opposed to the standard A3, no sport suspension). The ride is harder, but is't still OK, after while when you 're used to it, you win't even notice it anymore.

Although its an A4, not an A3, but i've just upgraded to Koni shocks and springs all round........handles like a dream now, ride a little bouncier, but all round loads better (although my old shocks were knackered, so thats not difficult)..........cant recommend it enough

had mine fitted today, first impressions:

front is perfect laugh.gif

rear looks too low confused.gif

got to avoid them potholes now blush.gif

turn in is much better, but apart from that I have new brakes at the moment so I am taking it easy for now.

Does anyone know what the H&R springs are meant to 'officially' lower the ride height by?

Dunc

35mm? nice when I told AMD I was looking for a 20-25mm drop!

Well I am having to pay for some spring spacers to be fitted to the rear of the car as its just too low to me. Maybe its the negative camber that makes it look worse?

Overall handling is defenitely better. I can get used to the harsh ride, just need to sort the rears out.

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Mick you've changed your wheels again !!!! smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

They look sweet by the way notworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking that.. confused.gif Mad or what?!? He's become the JR (RS246) of Tyresmoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, those look like sportec's, and strangely, i think JR lost some sportecs sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they do look like sportecs but I'll bet my last pound they're MTM ones...summin to do with essex meets I suppose yelrotflmao.gif