Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DuncS3

Koni shocks and H&R springs

43 posts in this topic

my requirements for upgrading my suspension are these:

lower the car about 20mm (but not make the car max power low rider style)

stop body roll

improve handling

not to make the car any harder so it crashes over potholes and drains, as it does that already imo

AMD and QST suggest Koni adjustable shocks and either MTM or H&R springs.

Any one got any comments on this sort of setup. Both tuners said coliovers were too harsh for road use in their opinion...If my car ends up near the R32 handling i will be very pleased. Apparently the R32 uses Bilstein shocks and H&R springs?

Dunc

Dunc

I've got that exact setup (Konis & H&R). You've seen the car and how it sits. It's obviously a bit harder than standard but well worth it in my opinion.

You'd be quite welcome to take it for a spin at some stage to see how it feels.

Just a reminder on stance wink.gif

Dsc00235.sized.jpg

Mick your car is so clean!

would you say big improvement over standard? I may be getting them fitted next Monday...

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]

Mick your car is so clean!

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanna see it at the moment frown.gifdung.gifsuicide.gif

Dunno if "big improvement" is a little generous.

I would say that it is quite an improvement. The car has less bodyroll and actually feels more planted on the road. It is when you drive the car how it is meant to be driven then the suspension setup seems to help in making the car feel more sturdy. Not too sure on oversteer etc...All I know is with the suspension/brake setup I feel more confident in driving the car to it's best potential wink.gif

Obviously this has sacrificed a little bit of ride quality but nothing too much. I don't even notice it now smirk.gif

oh well you can but try - if its as good as a R32 then I will have the desired result. They reckon the springs are 'progressive', firm up as you push the car?

Dunc

Dunc, i personally disagree with the opinion of both tuners u asked, Ive got H&R coilovers fitted to my car and in no way is the ride too harsh for the roads, in more ways its actually BETTER than the original setup. Ok its not as soft as the original but as with any form of lowering on a car it will make the ride harder. But in no way is it even slightly uncomfortable.

You can easily have them set up to the desired ride height.

The H&R setup is probably the best setup you can get for nearly any make of car.

beerchug.gif

Mo - I have driven SitaS3s car, which has KW Coilovers and no way did i think that was too hard either. Sometimes its hard to tell if the advice you get is really impartial.

Coilovers are approx 1100 quid though and I will not want to change the ride height as I simply wouldnt be bothered (or capable!) - thats the main benefit of coilovers isnt it? so will try the shocks and springs.

Dunc

Hey Dunc,

You could tell the difference in attitude between you car and Simons at Castle Coombe but in terms of ultimate lap times I doubt there was a lot in it (unless Nissan boy was in the way wink.gif).

I have the Koni's and H&R springs (35mm) on my A3. The front shock are hardened by 1 full turn (max hardness is 2 full turns), and the rear shocks are on the softest setting.

Body roll is greatly reduced (opposed to the standard A3, no sport suspension). The ride is harder, but is't still OK, after while when you 're used to it, you win't even notice it anymore.

Although its an A4, not an A3, but i've just upgraded to Koni shocks and springs all round........handles like a dream now, ride a little bouncier, but all round loads better (although my old shocks were knackered, so thats not difficult)..........cant recommend it enough

had mine fitted today, first impressions:

front is perfect laugh.gif

rear looks too low confused.gif

got to avoid them potholes now blush.gif

turn in is much better, but apart from that I have new brakes at the moment so I am taking it easy for now.

Does anyone know what the H&R springs are meant to 'officially' lower the ride height by?

Dunc

i belive 35mm becuse thats what i have fitted but only with the standard shocks

35mm? nice when I told AMD I was looking for a 20-25mm drop!

Well I am having to pay for some spring spacers to be fitted to the rear of the car as its just too low to me. Maybe its the negative camber that makes it look worse?

Overall handling is defenitely better. I can get used to the harsh ride, just need to sort the rears out.

Dunc

Whoops!

I wouldn't have minded hanging around to see the end product on Monday but needed to get back.

Got any pics yet Dunc?

Did it turn out as low as mine or lower?

How does the negative camber look?

Are AMD fitting the spring spacers?

Mick

post-354-137914250847_thumb.jpg

Mick you've changed your wheels again !!!! smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

They look sweet by the way notworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking that.. confused.gif Mad or what?!? He's become the JR (RS246) of Tyresmoke

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking that.. confused.gif Mad or what?!? He's become the JR (RS246) of Tyresmoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, those look like sportec's, and strangely, i think JR lost some sportecs sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, those look like sportec's, and strangely, i think JR lost some sportecs sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they do look like sportecs but I'll bet my last pound they're MTM ones...summin to do with essex meets I suppose yelrotflmao.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Look at you lot!

Yes they are Sportecs and no they're not JR's...My ones are baby ones. Only 18".... tongue.gif

Went to AMD for a DV and happened to come accross these nice little alloys wink.gif

Gotta keep the "Essex Boy" image up aint I smashfreakB.gif

Besides everyone has got RSTT's or RS4's now FIREdevil.gifsuicide.gifNONO3.GIFices_blah.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Besides everyone has got RSTT's or RS4's now FIREdevil.gifsuicide.gifNONO3.GIFices_blah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I havn't....they are sooo last year tongue.gif