Clutch Judder

MRT

My A4 2.5 TDI now has 27k on the clock this past week when starting off from cold i cannot escape clutch judder once the car has warmed up everything is fine .

I dont ride the clutch when driving and hate to think the clutch is on its way out after so few miles, any one have any ideas before i have words with the stealers

Yeah, bring it back to the steelers, i had mine back last saturday complaining for about the 3rd time about a notchy feel on the clutch pedal and a slight judder first thing in the morning. Booked in on Monday for a new clutch.

Somehow i have come to expect more from an Audi, the car is a 10 mths old 2.0tdi with 12K on the clock

[ QUOTE ]

If you take your car to the dealer to investigate clutch judder, ask them to check the flywheel, because a faulty dual mass flywheel can cause your symptoms if your vehicle is fitted with this type of flywheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the car to the dealers this morning spoke to the senior tec , he explained that this is a problem that Audi are currently investigating. When it first started occuring the standard practice was to replace the clutch, however after a time the fault returned and that clutch is not normally replaced for this fault now. He told me that Audi were looking into the idea that if a car had been stood a couple of days it could be a rust build up on the flywheel like you get on brake discs . I told him i doubted that as i use my car everyday.

Anyway my car is booked into Teeside Adui on the 4th sept for them to investigate

I get a judder in mine first thing. Pulling away in first gear can be really embarrassing as the car shakes and lurches. It's not something I expect from car of this brand/price. No other car I have owned does it. Slipping the clutch doesn't help as the engine just races and that's worse. It soon goes as the car warms up though. crazy.gif

(10 month old car, 6800 miles.)

my cars still with audi, went in for a misfire and clutch judder, they called last week to say it needed new cooling fans,'modified' engine wiring loom, vacuum pipe and a dash pod... its all covered under warranty luckily.

They think maybe the clutch judder is due to unstable power delivery to the flywheel, so they are going to do this repair, if it doenst cure it, the engine and gearbox are getting stripped down to see whats wrong at flywheel end as it is fitted with a dual mass flywheel (4ringsDH you are totally correct).

Will let everyone know how it goes when i get it back later next week!

I am another victim, i have the same thing on my 05 tdi sportback and am getting well p'd off with it. It has been back once to the stealers and they couldnt find a fault, but i need to get it back there again soon, and it has also been back for a recall on the dual mass flywheel which was ok apparently [maybe only on the recall issue?]

• 3 months later...

Bought my 52 plate A4 TDi Sport about a year ago with 20K on the clock. Been a perfect car except for the clutch judder when pulling away. Got slightly better when warmed up but contacted Audi at the time hoping they would be able to sort it out - lots of excuses later, warranty ran out and I'm stuck with the problem. I've since done another 40K motorway miles and I've learned to live with it. Going in for new cambelt soon and I'm going to get the clutch replaced at the same time (local independant garage, don't want to fund the VAG empire any longer!)

My question is, what exactly do I need to replace?? I've read that it could be the dual mass flywheel, gearbox mounts or just worn friction plates/bearings??

Really don't want the additional cost of replacing the flywheel if it's not the root cause........

[ QUOTE ]

lots of excuses later, warranty ran out and I'm stuck with the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the problem was first reported when in warranty, but never fixed, it is up to warranty to still cover the fault. Thats the way it works in my dealership anyway.

A lot of the newer cars experience a bit of clutch judder when cold, it seems to be a characteristic on a few models, though more-so on the 2.0TDi's. If audi technical are investigating the fault leave it with them to see what solution they come up with. They decided on a recall for the A3's using the LUK flywheel changing it for a modified version. I replaced a few clutches + flywheels on A4's when people first started experiencing the fault and they made no difference.

does your car have a multitronic gearbox, because they had lots of problems with the gearbox playing "catch-up" with the engine feeling like a judder requiring new clutch plates.

if its manual (6 Speed), my car had the judder and Newcastle Audi traced it back to a faulty servo vacuum hose. i can feel it judder occasionally but apparently thats a characteristic of the dual mass flywheel and is perfectly normal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I now have a new symptom that may be linked to the judder on pulling away. My car now judders when I come to a stop. It's as if the car is idling too low. As the car slows and I take it out of gear, the revs drop to below 950rpm (ish) and the car shakes. After a moment or two, the revs increase slightly and all is well.

Like the judder on take off, it seems to be more prevalent when the car is cold and it's also intermittent.

My first service is due in 2 months and I was going to leave it until then to mention it to the dealer. But I'm not sure if I should wait... UHOH7.GIF

I had clutch 'hesitation' or judder on a Y-reg A4, a 52-reg A4 and a 03 A6- all 1.9tdi130. The 52 reg was the only one under warranty, and it went in a few times, but techs claimed they could never feel it.

As I'm still with the 6, and it's out of warranty, I hope it doesn't need an expensive fix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm now getting a knocking when reversing!

I noticed it the other day manoeuvring into a parking space. I engage reverse, let out the clutch and there's knocking just as the car starts to move. I can reproduce it by juggling the clutch and accelerator, but it requires a slightly aggressive action on my part.

At first I wondered if it was the exhaust, but it appears to be more transimission orientated.

[ QUOTE ]

There is now a modified clutch available for the A4 2.0 TDi under warranty. I had mine done a week ago and the judder had gone. The part has been available since the new year

My dealer is still unaware of the fix. Could you let me know what dealer did the bizz.

Cheers

Jake

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There is now a modified clutch available for the A4 2.0 TDi under warranty. I had mine done a week ago and the judder had gone. The part has been available since the new year

Jake

[/ QUOTE ]

THIRD TIME LUCKY.....been a hard day

My dealer is still unaware of the fix. Could you let me know what dealer did the bizz.