Running GTI on 99/100 RON...

RedRobin

Shell have just announced V-Power as about to be available in UK as 99 RON jump.gif

There's info in TSN General Cars forum - "Shell V-Power" thread: Here

The point of posting here is that I've just spoken with VW UK Techies and they strongly recommend the use of 99 or 100 RON fuel in our beloved 2.0T FSI engine and said it'll further improve performance.

jump.gifjump.gif

Find out more here: Shell's web page

[ QUOTE ]

Joining the V-Power Club

To qualify for membership and to earn points you need to sign-up for our pluspoints loyalty programme. Then if you purchase 300 litres of V-Power fuel in a quarter (e.g. January to March) you’ll reach the threshold for invitation to the V-Power Club.

[/ QUOTE ]

should be a few of us joining this around Christmas time then...

my money is on Robin to be the first!!! FIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Joining the V-Power Club

To qualify for membership and to earn points you need to sign-up for our pluspoints loyalty programme. Then if you purchase 300 litres of V-Power fuel in a quarter (e.g. January to March) you’ll reach the threshold for invitation to the V-Power Club.

[/ QUOTE ]

should be a few of us joining this around Christmas time then...

my money is on Robin to be the first!!! FIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I've already got an Optimax card (better than Pluspoints) and I've already bought 110 litres since Sunday!! So, I better receive something from Shell!

I'm hoping and expecting that my points will get rolled over into V-Power.

Subject to price, I think this V-Power stuff should be good for us guys 'n gals who like our performance cars.

I think it's very reasonable and logical to assume UK and Irish V-Powers are the same - Otherwise it makes a bit of a mockery of all the magic that Shell says the V-stuff has.

A phone call to Shell should give you the definitive answer. Please let us all know what you find out. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

V-Power in Ireland is 95RON, I emailed them and they said they had no plans to bring higher octane fuel to Ireland North or South mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

.... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif And I don't even live in Ireland!!

What do they think Irish car enthusiasts drive FFS !!?? Shell shouldn't be calling it V-Power if it's only 95RON !!!!

[ QUOTE ]

I've just spoken with VW UK Techies and they strongly recommend the use of 99 or 100 RON fuel in our beloved 2.0T FSI engine and said it'll further improve performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were these VW techies or Shell techies Robin ? Whilst I appreciate the importance of fuel - I used to have a bike that ran on Avgas (100 octane).

Will the GTi's fuel map advance the ignition on the fly sufficiently to take advantage of the higher available octane level (unless of course you have a "V-Power" remap carried out) otehrwise I can't see how you will take advantage of the extra octane available ?

Woudl be interested to hear how you get on with it though !

Cheers

Martin

It looks like the V power bit refers to the additives.

You can download the flashy Irish brochure HERE

I was told there was no room in the fuel storage tanks in the docks for another type of fuel so the V Power additives are added to the base 95RON fuel.

However I am going over to Scotland at the end of September so I will look out for it and see if I notice any difference from my normal Sainsburys 97. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I've just spoken with VW UK Techies and they strongly recommend the use of 99 or 100 RON fuel in our beloved 2.0T FSI engine and said it'll further improve performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were these VW techies or Shell techies Robin ? Whilst I appreciate the importance of fuel - I used to have a bike that ran on Avgas (100 octane).

Will the GTi's fuel map advance the ignition on the fly sufficiently to take advantage of the higher available octane level (unless of course you have a "V-Power" remap carried out) otehrwise I can't see how you will take advantage of the extra octane available ?

Cheers

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

....Meaning VW UK Technical Department, not Shell - My query was about VW recommending 98RON and what comments they had about running 99RON. They said the higher the better! They said that 100RON was cool too.

The ECU will do it on the fly, I'm told. "Increased Performance" were words they used but we didn't discuss the detail of that. I assume even better and smoother power delivery (if that's possible seeing how smooooth mine currently is due to its CAI and exhaust mods).

My post in General Cars on this subject re V-Power in Ireland:

[ QUOTE ]

AFAIK the Shell V-Power here in Ireland is 95 RON - took a lot of looking around to get this info but reckon it to be right. Think V-Power is just a brand and has different RON in different countries.

Shell sold their car petrol business here in Ireland so bit by bit the Shell garages are getting run down etc and starting to get sold as development sites for a few appartments.

As such I am now going to stop getting V-Power for the GTI and go back to Tesco finest (only Tesco 95 RON available in Ireland) as at this stage my concern is that the pumps etc are not being maintained as well and for all the benefit I might be getting from V-Power, it is possibly being offset by the crap that is sitting in the petrol pump systems at this stage following the sale.

My thoughts...

Paddy

[/ QUOTE ]

Since above I have seen more Shell stations shutting shop so I think their days in Ireland, and our access to V-Power, are diminishing.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

....Meaning VW UK Technical Department, not Shell - My query was about VW recommending 98RON and what comments they had about running 99RON. They said the higher the better! They said that 100RON was cool too.

The ECU will do it on the fly, I'm told. "Increased Performance" were words they used but we didn't discuss the detail of that. I assume even better and smoother power delivery (if that's possible seeing how smooooth mine currently is due to its CAI and exhaust mods).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry - missed that bit ! That is good news then & should hopefully make a bit of a difference, my Corrado (chipped & forced) showed quite an improvement between 95 & super guess it depends how far the map will go.

Drove on a tank of normal shell at the weekend (long drive) and for that I really did not notice all that much difference. However for country roads etc which is my usual trip into work it does seem a little more pokey.

So I think I will alternate my consumption from now on, been 100% optimax up to now.

Just put a tank of V-Power in. Too soon to tell what if any difference to be noticed from Optimax. 98.9p/l in Ashford, Kent. Looks to be the same price as Optimax.

edit: from looking at my receipt it was actually 99.9p. So don't come to Ashford looking for a 'bargain' smile.gif