Gti 2006 axx engine v's 2007 bwa engine

spankit

So the 2006 mkv Gti has ecu software allowing 200ish bhp. This is compared, apparently, with the 2007 mkv Gti that has updated ecu software allowing 220ish bhp. It is being said “compression was dropped from 10.5 to 10.3, the GTI engine was updated in the late 2005 (November IIRC) affecting cars delivered in the early 2006.”

The consensus is we all take our 2006 mkv Gti’s to the dealers with a mythical ecu problem, get the ecu re-loaded with the new 2007 software, and drive away 20 bhp the better.

Is this true, should we be forming an orderly line at the dealers? wink.gif

link from uk-mkiv's

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i read this last week and have tried to book mine in at the dealers 3 times on 3 seperate days, each time being told service lines are busy i'll take your number and get someone to call you to arrange your car to be booked in.

Guess what...

my car is still not booked in..

vw eh whata waste of time.

in theory , a higher compression ratio should give more power at the same boost, I suspect that vw changed the compression ratio to sell the gti into countries with lower octane fuels ( date of change is just before release of USA version of the GTI, where they have 89 and 93 octane.

If someone from the dealer network can confirm this sw exists, and which engine codes can have it applied, if it is available for both an AXX would deliver more on a given map with quality fuel.

What we need is a friendly dealer who's more than happy to update the ECU's or find out what problems would get the dealer to update them for us. They probably won't have a clue about the performance gains, and when it comes to insurance (we never knew either grin.gif)

It's just to iron out a few issues etc 169144-ok.gif . Anyone know of such a dealer... i'll be prepared to travel.

Yes - My ECU is stock and dated July 2005. Also, you are going I believe (and hope!) but you're not booked for the dyno.

However, due to my hardware mods and their supposed efficiencies I'm expecting better than standard torque, though not much bhp gain if at all.

LeMan > Yes, I can happily ask Loders but would like to know more specifically exactly what I am to ask them. It needs spelling out for me - I am prone to having pink moments! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Although built July 05, mine's an 06 spec car according to VW. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

06 cars came with the paddles standard and also had a roof aerial IIRC.

Red Matt R should know the right questions to ask. Sounds like the ECU upgrade is a 2006 calendar year thing not an MY06 (which would have shipped in July/August I think) - might be wrong though. My car was delivered in Nov 05 what engine code should i look for? 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My week 12 Gti (Reg 22/3/06) has a BWA engine no.... smile.gif

..and I suspect Oli's must have too?

What power for Oli's then with the Revo????

[/ QUOTE ]

Merlinman, power will be determined by the level of boost, as the boost is controlled by the map, a remap wouldn't deliver any more power on a bwa than a axx as the boost control woulo dbe the same, if a map allowed for more boost, then you could get more power.

Right,

I will check more into this on Tuesday morning.

But I am now on my third GTI and have driven around 10k in each. First two were both AXX engines and my current is a BWA. I have also driven many customers cars too, Personally I find it very hard to notice any difference between the two. I also find it very hard to believe that ALL BWA are performing 20 bhp over stock claims and feel an ECU update will not do this for you. Perhaps the ones claiming it are cars that are overperforming as there has always been cars that do vary on Rollers due to temps etc etc etc. My mate had one of the First customer GTIs remapped by AMD and his AXX engine came out at 207 bhp iirc, whereas I have head of others only getting 197bhp.

I will have a chat with my licensed technician on Tues and report back.

Matt

[ QUOTE ]

Very interesting reading this! I'll be at the AmD RR day, so will be interesting to see what she runs wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....Hi Stevie, there'll be four Mk5 GTIs on the dyno that day and each with quite different mods from each other. Is yours standard ECU map? (I've forgotten). I'm hoping it is - Just for the sake of GTI comparisons. 169144-ok.gif