• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good as far as our dyno day is concerned. We'll have:

OliH - Revo

SiBurt - AmD Stage 3

Stevie_d - Standard

RedRobin - Standard + Milltek Hi-flow + CAI

However true or not the dyno plots will be, at least they'll all be under exactly the same circumstances of the day. It will be very interesting what we see.

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

However true or not the dyno plots will be, at least they'll all be under exactly the same circumstances of the day

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right RR - for a comparison between the 2 engine types on the forthcoming AMD day, IMHO people should look at percentages rather than straight figures - as the bhp figures quoted are for that dyno, not necessarily the exact actual wheel hp, torque etc. The mileage on the car(s) also has a big effect.

I wouldn't get too hung up on whether the plot shows 197 or 207 bhp for example ........ when I first had the .:R dyno'd (at Superchips, 2.5k miles) it showed 230 bhp, then with Milltek cat-back fitted another dyno run (at QST, 5.5k miles) showed 252 bhp.

Does a difference of 3k miles and a cat-back exhaust equate to 20+ bhp ? I have absolutely no idea.

Only when both engine types (axx / bwa) are compared at say 20k + miles on the same dyno/day, will any difference be properly apparent - and even then it's only an indication IMHO.

Do we know for sure whether the turbo units are identical on the two different engine types ?

ECLIPSe.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry to bring this old thread up again. It's nearly a couple months old but I do think it is relevant for the GTI 30th Anniversary edition discussion.

If recent cars have been coming with a "secret" extra 20HP then the 30HP on offer from the special 30th edition is not much more.

But I'm not sure the AXX vs BWA engine question was resolved - was this all just a rumour that the BWA engines had updated software? There was talk at the time of people going back to their dealers to try and get their ECU "re-flashed" in order to unlock the extra horses... did anyone succeed?

I remember someone claimed that VW were secretly upping the power in preparation for the 30th Anniversary edition or maybe because they planned to up the official power figures in order to compete with the Focus ST etc..?

It all seems a bit mysterious - maybe there was no truth in it after all!

[ QUOTE ]

If recent cars have been coming with a "secret" extra 20HP then the 30HP on offer from the special 30th edition is not much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I haven't come across any evidence to support this secret extra power and it's highly unlikely especially considering insurance ramifications...."Well, VW didn't tell me my car had 20bhp more power, so how can it be my fault if my insurance is now null and void etc".

I think it more likely that the 'secret' we heard was the fact that the 230 bhp engine (Anni) version was in the pipeline.

• 3 weeks later...

To resurrect this old thread, I went in to have the new ( Octover 25th Technical bulletin) software for the electric folding mirrors today - ( all ok so far on that front) but I had been told there was no ECU update for the AXX engine a couple of months back , but today they claim to have updated that aswell as the mirror sw. I can't say it feels faster at the top end , but mid range torque feels stronger, very subjective I know, but it feels that way.

[ QUOTE ]

My week 12 Gti (Reg 22/3/06) has a BWA engine no....

[/ QUOTE ]

Took my BWA engine (March 2006) into dealers this week for mirror warranty work. Asked for an upgrade to latest ECU software wink.gif

The agent looked into the computer - and "computer says no" because "VW details indicate yours is not due for new software"

It sounded very much like a recall kind of thing - that is they won't upgrade your software unless they are sorting out a glitch in an earlier version. And presumably there isn't a glitch so they are leaving you with what you bought your car with crazy.gif

So again advised of my high oil consumption (told again this is normal), but the car spent the day being checked over for mirrors and oil leak (none found) and, hooray, appear to have had a software upgrade done anyway grin.gif

Drove away from the garage (with new wing mirror glass) and found the car pulls more evenly and strongly at medium revs smlove2.gif

I was well impressed and feels quite a subjective change

So even if peak HP/PS/kW remains unchanged, the current software is an improvement on the March 2006 software 169144-ok.gif

The difficulty may well be persuading a VW dealer to do it for free as it isn't a VW "requirement" EEK2.GIF

Recommended though jump.gif