Bespokes Car Rental

SamD

This weekend I rented a car from Bespokes car rental. Thought I would provide a little review of the service as well as the car that I rented. Hope this is useful to someone.

For those of you that don't know, Bespokes rent a whole range of sports and prestige cars. I chose to rent their 1988 911 Carrera Targa, and to pick it up at a hotel in Watford. This was great as it saved me driving the car for the first time through London, as their main place is behind Kings Cross.

Pick-up day arrived, and we made our way to the hotel to meet the delivery driver. First impressions were not great, as the driver was 40 minutes late, leaving us sitting in my wifes car with a hungry toddler in the back. Still when the car arrived it did make a good first impression, the noise was immense in comparison the the other commuter-mobiles on the road.

The car was an 18 year old, grey-blue 911 Carerra 3.0 air cooled. The car has obviously been well loved in it's 18 years and was in remarkable condition considering the age and the fact that it is a hire car! It had acheived a mammoth 172,000 miles in it's life, not that you'd know.

After going through the paper work using the spoiler as a desk, the delivery driver gave me a run through of the controls, and warned me to drive smoothly and avoid breaking/changing gears in corners (good advice seeing as it is a rear-engined, rear wheel drive car!)

So the time finally came to start her up and get on the road. She started first time with a nice roar. The thing that struck me most was quite how heavy the clutch was! I could tell that I would build up my left leg muscle over the weekend. As I pulled out of the car park space I was struck by the next thing - there is no power steering, looked like I was going to get a good-work out driving this car!

First journey was to go and pick my wife up from my Mum's house (where my daughter was spending the weekend). This involved a very busy stretch of M25, which was quite painful considering the clutch and steering! On the journey (which also involved driving through a town centre) I was struck by the realisation that this car makes no sense whatsoever at low speeds or in heavy traffic.

That afternoon we set off for a weekend in the Cotswolds, which is where the car really came alive. On a nice fast twisty country road this car suddenly makes much more sense.

Driving the Porsche is a very sensory experience - you hear the roar of the 3.0l flat size behind you, fight the steering and clutch, see the country side pass at a very quick pace, and smell the engine oil!

Over the course of the weekend we had great fun in the car. I have to admit I was very cautious on the few occasions that it rained, but when it was dry I gave it all I dared. The roar of the engine certainly turned a few heads, and I got a few waves from more modern Porsche drivers!

I delivered the car back to Kings Cross this morning on the day to work, which all went very smoothly.

All in all I have been very impressed with the service from Bespokes, they provided me with a fabulously maintained car that never missed a beat.

The only question left, is which car to hire next!

Pictures of the car to follow!

Ah yes, good call. If the experiences of others on TSN are anything to go by (recent Westfield owners, especially) I think you'd certainly be able to count on the finest treatment from your fellow motorists, sitting inside such a noble and traditional steed.

And who can resist the warble of a good V8?

• 7 years later...

Hi Sam, I found this thread recently & am delighted to see you have reveiwed my car! I bought it from Bespokes in Nov 12. Its now got 217000 on the clock & I absolutely love it. I'll be doing charity Dream Rides for the Sporting Bears at the Supercar show at Dunsfold on Sat 21st June if you fancy a run for old times sake!

Regards John