Are we still waiting for the best from x-box 360?

Dave

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not convinced about the PS3, the CPU and GPU have both been significantly downgraded in clock speed terms, didn't the CPU even have some cores cut because of yield issues?

It's ridiculous money and Sony are being incredibly arrogant, I'd actually like to see it suffer the third console flop, like Sega with the Saturn or to a lesser degree Nintendo with the N64.

Any serious gamer has no problem waiting for the PS3 as evveryone even the press are aware of what kind of machine sony will be coming with - There is not point in rushing like the 360. Picked up this from anandtech for you chelsea mick.

But for the most part, on day 1, you shouldn’t expect Xbox 360 games to be much more than the same type of single threaded titles we’ve had on the PC. In fact, the biggest draw to the new consoles will be the fact that for the first time, we will have the ability to run games rendered internally at 1280 x 720 on a game console. In other words, round one of the next generation of game consoles is going to be a GPU battle.

The importance of this fact is that Microsoft has been talking about the general purpose execution power of the Xbox 360 and how it is 3 times that of the PS3’s Cell processor. With only 1 - 2 threads of execution being dedicated for game code, the advantage is pretty much lost at the start of the console battle.

Sony doesn’t have the same constraints that Microsoft does, and thus there is less of a need to perform real time decompression of game content. Keep in mind that the PS3 will ship with a Blu-ray drive, with Sony’s minimum disc spec being a hefty 23.3GB of storage for a single layer Blu-ray disc. The PS3 will also make use of H.264 encoding for all video content, the decoding of which is perfectly suited for the Cell’s SPEs. Audio encoding will also be done on the SPEs, once again as there is little need to use any extra hardware to perform a task that is perfectly suited for the SPEs.

[ QUOTE ]

The PS3 will also make use of H.264 encoding for all video content, the decoding of which is perfectly suited for the Cell’s SPEs.

[/ QUOTE ]

ATI's graphics chip in the 360 can handle H.264 better than pretty much anything else out there.

Why are you talking about ENCODING though?

You obviously have something personal about sony thorburn, only time will tell not long left for machine. I dont care which machine ends up top, it will only mean the consumer winning. Although I would be very surprised If Sony lost - New machines packed full of gadgets are great but will only ever be as good as the software developed for them - In that I rest my case.

[ QUOTE ]

You obviously have something personal about sony thorburn

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I'm sat here next to a Sony stereo, I own a Sony Playstation 2, use a Sony Ericsson phone (and have done for several years now, and most likely upgrading to another one soon) and had a Sony PSP. I advised both my parents to buy Sony Vaio laptops. Hell I have a Sony headunit in my car!

But some of the statements Sony have made about the Playstation 3 "People will pay what we tell them to pay" and the fact that they think there machine will sell purely BECAUSE its a Playstation shows a level of arrogance that is going to lead to negative results for the consumer. Imagine the Playstation 4 or came out in a few years with no competition at all, Sony would have no need to be competitive on pricing as people would have no choice.

All manufacturers make statements about new products whether cars or games consoles. Majority of new car buyers pay deposits prior to seeing vehicle and even prior to launch date. I am not sure the PS3 will be to expensive compared to other machines still quoting $599 60gb & I think $499 for 20gb. Dont get me wrong compettiotn is great for the consumer but you cant doubt sonys experience in this field and you would expect sony to continue with winning formulas, current estimates show that they have used 75% of R & D budget to get machine right!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You picked up on that too? UHOH7.GIF

You're going to obviously get the PS3 haters - there appears to be a fair number on here who'd rather see it just give up than actually launch. Sony aren't Microsoft - they'd rather release a product that works properly, than rush it. I don't mind waiting for that reason. The hold ups are over the finishing touches to the casing (it doesn't fit in it!), and the Blueray spec.

None of us can sit here saying X is faster than Y. None of us have had any hand in the development of the hardware or software, so we'll just have to wait and see how the developers push it. However, I have a friend who works as a Games designer and he has said from his experience, the PS3 is a far far superior bit of kit, but that it takes a little more work to get that out of the hardware, although some areas take a lot less work - he prefers to develop for the XBox, but said that the PS3 has stunned them with the results.

Both machines are ridiculously powerful - just think back to the PSOne, or computers before then, and now think where we are today. These are very impressive machines. Sony will release it, and it will be as fast as buggery.

Personally, I'm not that bothered with the XBox. It doesn't have the same feel or finish to the games that the PS2 did. The 360 therefore didn't excite me much either. The PS2 however has been one of the best things I've got, and I look forward to the PS3 - but I don't care if it's not the "winner" - I'll just be happy with a machine that is a massive improvement over the last. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and around the £450 mark just for the machine and £60 a game...

I think I'll stick with the established 360 thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

No pricing for games have been released. Software houses are still in negoitation over this, so not sure how you can say it will be £60. confused.gif

Launch games were given a SRP of £45.

[ QUOTE ]

But some of the statements Sony have made about the Playstation 3 "People will pay what we tell them to pay" and the fact that they think there machine will sell purely BECAUSE its a Playstation shows a level of arrogance that is going to lead to negative results for the consumer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is true. But remember that this was said by one person who clearly has the wrong idea. People will only pay what they think the machine is worth - so they must ensure they build in enough features or show a good path for expansion before people will part with their hard-earned cash.

Sony are well aware that the 360 has taken good market share and they will have to work at claiming that back, although they'll never get to the levels they were before. Microsoft have woken up the console market a lot and Sony must ensure they don't remain complacent about this.

I know it's not a view held by many at Sony though.

I can see the games being between £45 and £50. To take them to £60 would price them out and people would not buy them.

If I hear anything regarding SRP's then I'll post them here, if I'm allowed! sekret.gif

Games such as EyeToy might be a little more, but then you'd be getting the camera too - the EyeToy system on the PS3 is amazing!

Will you please both stop talking about how good the PS3 is. Yes it will provide streamed video content without being chained to an MS MCE machine, yes it will be able to provide a physics model thats will blow just about everything out of the water, yes it has full support for HDMI 2 that most TV's don't even have yet and the resolution will be the highest of any games machine, talk about future proofed. Oh and it will come with blue ray support so you will be able to jump on the HD bandwagon without worrying about format wars it comes almost free. cool.gif

But I haven't got approval from the finance director to get it yet only for a 360 (and thats a bit tentetive to say the least). So come on a bit more PS3 bashing please so I can justify getting the Xbox without feeling like i'm getting it because its all I can afford please. grin.gif169144-ok.gif

In all seriousness. The 360 is improving game wise and they have taken the march on Sony. Will they catch up, yes if they manage to push it into the living room as more than just a games machine. Lets not forget its cheaper than many blueray players will be and its got all the other bells and whistles, factor that in and things start to look rosy again. Heres hoping they get it into production and start making millions soon, (its typical to go into prod very later in the day by the way) either way the future for us gamers looks pretty darn good. jump.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

Ok, we'll try and not mention how good this machine will be. grin.gif

You make a valid point about the Blueray feature. If Blueray wins the format wars, you have a games machine and blueray player in one, which will retail about the same as the blueray players out late November. 169144-ok.gif

Now... what colour shall I order my PS3 in. I've been given clearance to get one. buttcheeks.giftongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Will you please both stop talking about how good the PS3 is. Yes it will provide streamed video content without being chained to an MS MCE machine, yes it will be able to provide a physics model thats will blow just about everything out of the water, yes it has full support for HDMI 2 that most TV's don't even have yet and the resolution will be the highest of any games machine, talk about future proofed. Oh and it will come with blue ray support so you will be able to jump on the HD bandwagon without worrying about format wars it comes almost free. cool.gif

But I haven't got approval from the finance director to get it yet only for a 360 (and thats a bit tentetive to say the least). So come on a bit more PS3 bashing please so I can justify getting the Xbox without feeling like i'm getting it because its all I can afford please. grin.gif169144-ok.gif

In all seriousness. The 360 is improving game wise and they have taken the march on Sony. Will they catch up, yes if they manage to push it into the living room as more than just a games machine. Lets not forget its cheaper than many blueray players will be and its got all the other bells and whistles, factor that in and things start to look rosy again. Heres hoping they get it into production and start making millions soon, (its typical to go into prod very later in the day by the way) either way the future for us gamers looks pretty darn good. jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry carmad (last time) I think you should wait for PS3 unless you have no other machine to use at the moment if only for the Blueray - My 1st DVD player was a playstation

We will see. As the format war is still only hotting up let alone being close to being sorted, buying the PS3 for blueray is not a good reason IMO. Yes its a bonus but not the main reason.

Did anyone know that HD DVD is being lauch on guess yes November the 15th. grin.gif

I have made any decisions and am in no rush to, if I can get a PS3 for normal list I might, but I certainly won't be paying a premium. Plus as I like car games for and formost on consoles waiting might be a better option anyway. 169144-ok.gif

Mmmmm HD is the way forward but im resisting spending any dosh yet.... most of the SONY HD LCD screens only have one HDMI inputs!!!

PS3, HD DVD / Blu-Ray, SKY HD etc use this connection dont they?

Sure with the new wave of consoles you`ll need more than one input for HD?

Araaagh.

Riz smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You picked up on that too? UHOH7.GIF

You're going to obviously get the PS3 haters - there appears to be a fair number on here who'd rather see it just give up than actually launch. Sony aren't Microsoft - they'd rather release a product that works properly, than rush it. I don't mind waiting for that reason. The hold ups are over the finishing touches to the casing (it doesn't fit in it!), and the Blueray spec.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your not reading JTs post correctly. He's not a PS3 hater, just realistic.

I dont know how you can say Microsoft rushed a product, then say Sony arent rushing when 2 months from launch the PS3 wont fit in the case grin.gif

I will get a PS3 at some point, but im not paying a large premium over the cost of a 360 for a small performance upgrade, and to subsidise Sony's new DVD format.

And just to add something else.....if gaming was the main reason for including Bluray in the PS3, you'd have thought they'd have put a faster drive in....

Linky

The original Xbox was rushed. And it showed. The 360, if you saw some of the development videos, was a bit, it'll be alright on the night with some dev houses having some concerns over the hardware. As it turns out, there were some very minor tweaks, but it got there, and it's doing very well. Much to the surprise of Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo actually said MS would drop out after their first console as they have too far to come.

Riz, careful when you use the term HD mate. Yes, HD is the way forward, but there are two disc formats battling it out. HD-DVD and Blueray. 169144-ok.gif

I don't think you'd notice a "small performance upgrade" from the PS3 - I don't think it's going to appear much faster, certainly not at launch time.

Gaming isn't the only reason for adding blueray. If you read some of the Sony plans for the PS3, they aren't actually pitching this new console as a gaming machine anymore. It's a home-hub with a lot of plans. Gaming is one large aspect admittedly, but they want it to do a lot more.

What we need is a multi-function box which contains everything..... console, sky, digital tv, hd, surround, picture, hdd, dvd hd, dvd, blu-ray, pc...... and one menu.

Im aware there will be 2 formats, one of the reason im holding out to see what happens.... PS3 will play Blue-ray and I can always buy a proper HD DVD player..... just going to wait and see what happens...

As for consoles sony do the home viao system which has HDMI output..... maybe I could do away with a study!

Riz grin.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What we need is a multi-function box which contains everything..... console, sky, digital tv, hd, surround, picture, hdd, dvd hd, dvd, blu-ray, pc...... and one menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a bit like my Home Theatre PC.

Will run any PC game, does freeview, can output at 1080p, 7.1 surround sound, 320GB hard drive and will play movies in any optical format that I can fit a drive for when they become affordable. Quieter than the XBox 360 I had or a first-gen PS2.

Shame I only had a mid-tower chassis for it, but still if I could have afforded a Silverstone HTPC case then it would look pretty nice.