Are we still waiting for the best from x-box 360?

Dave

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What we need is a multi-function box which contains everything..... console, sky, digital tv, hd, surround, picture, hdd, dvd hd, dvd, blu-ray, pc...... and one menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds a bit like my Home Theatre PC.

Will run any PC game, does freeview, can output at 1080p, 7.1 surround sound, 320GB hard drive and will play movies in any optical format that I can fit a drive for when they become affordable. Quieter than the XBox 360 I had or a first-gen PS2.

Shame I only had a mid-tower chassis for it, but still if I could have afforded a Silverstone HTPC case then it would look pretty nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about selling these, JT?

Can you not get some discount from Intel for parts to make a margin? There is quite the market for systems like this. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Have you thought about selling these, JT?

Can you not get some discount from Intel for parts to make a margin? There is quite the market for systems like this. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I finished my internship there a couple weeks back now smile.gif

Like I said, its currently built in a full tower chassis.

I build systems for people but I don't have any capital so its always on a pay up front, order in the parts, build basis. Going back to university stops me doing it on any kind of scale too.

My dads bought an Acer Aspire iDea 500 and its very good indeed, although it uses integrated graphics which arent really powerful enough for games, mine has a GeForce 7800GTX so its good enough to play native resolution (1680x1050) on the Dell 2005FPW I use as a TV.

When I've got friends over I swap in the Dell 2407WFP which does over 1080p (1920x1200 as a 16:10 ratio panel as opposed to 1920x1080, 16:9 for 1080p) and supports HDCP over DVI-D.

[ QUOTE ]

It's just been announced that the launch of PS3 in Europe has been delayed until March 07: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm

[/ QUOTE ]

What a balls up smashfreakB.gif, won't the new launch date fall right into the path of Halo 3 169144-ok.gif

Thankfully my 360 in all it's HD glory will keep me more than happy for the next 6 months, and there's some cracking games coming out this autumn as well notworthy.gif.

Oh and will get a PS3 when it comes out (compulsive gadget buyer), but I will have enjoyed 18 months of HD gaming with the 360 before that. If you have a HD TV and like any form of computer gaming then a 360 really is a must buy.

Oh and Riz get yourself a Toshiba HD LCD like mine, they all come with 2 HDMI inputs. So I have the Sky HD through one, the 360 use the component input leaving me with a spare HDMI input for either the PS3 or a HD DVD player in the future.

grin.gif A delay you say.. MMmm

I should be able to get the finances in place by then and will also be able to understand what the leap forward is or not as the case maybe.

Shame that yet again Sony are treating the European market as second class citizens though. They did the same with the PSP and I didn't like that either. I wouldn't at all be suprised if the delay slipped further if demand outstripped supply in Japan and the US. I wouldn't mind but they make more money from us that anywhere else anyway, so give it to us first. sportifs2.gif

And relax.

If i were a software house i would be concentrating all my efforts towards the 360 at the moment.. the consule is tried and test and above all , affordable.

I will get a PS3 to go with my X-box 360, x-box, PSP, PS2 and PS1, but i'm loving the 360 at the moment and as long as the titles keep flowing i'll be happy.

Dave, that won't help though.

You can't start making the games once the PS3 is out if you want to be first to market. Some devs have contracts with Sony to be launch partners and as such need working titles ready for testing 6 months prior to launch. The PS3 technology works, the delays are being caused by making them fast enough - the mass production of blueray isn't helping at the moment.

If everyone took that view, the PS3 wouldn't get any games at all.

True mate,

but you develop all you like, but if you're getting no imcome due to the delays you won't be developing for long! crazy.gif

Software houses know that if they develop for X-box 360 and it's a hit (take COD for example) they can get very quick returns.. COD3 is already planned for the 360 and they are making a bundle.

I don't disagree with you about the launch of the PS3, and sony will produce some crackers such as GT, but it's the independants that must be desperate about the delays.

Sony sold 100 million PS2's.. how many games to go with those consules?.. 500 million? probably more like a billion.. these delays must cost a fortune.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Never really interested me, and i feel the game titles have been aimed at kids .. am i wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I feel the same. Seems like a kiddie version of gaming. Playable, but not to my requirements. I felt I'd grown out of Nintendo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just see them as innovative, addictive little games that are great for passing a small (or long) amount of time. I have a PSP also and I use the DS far more often...

[ QUOTE ]

I have a PSP also and I use the DS far more often...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people say that.. but i think the PSP is more than just a gaming machine.. you need to use it (which i don't enough!) to get the best out of it. Stick in a massive memory stick, get MP3's and movies on it and it's a cracking machine.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with you about the launch of the PS3, and sony will produce some crackers such as GT, but it's the independants that must be desperate about the delays.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend who works for in a Development house has told me a few things - the delays do eat into their profits, but they can claim this back from Sony, if a published launch date is moved back. Doesn't help pay the wages in the meantime admitedly.

If you're a launch partner, then there's more assistance. Dev machines and some up front development fees are on offer, but that doesn't come easily. It's a big risk to develop games, so much money up front, but then the developers had to do this with the original Xbox - even though it's a 95% straight port to console from the PC game.

Not a business I'd want to be in!

But quickly slipping back to the choice of which console to get.....

Get them both!! The 360 now and PS3 when it eventually comes out!

There are a few good partnerships going on with various game titles and consoles to consider.

How can you not want to get the 360 at some point with Halo 3 coming out? Sony will probably have the GTA rights and I think Nintendo have still got Resident Evil rights.

One reason alone for each console to be bought.

Screw the format wars, by having both you have a player for both formats.

And I heard that if you're worried about your games for the 360 getting damaged you can make backups and do something to the console to play them.....

Also read that the launch volumes for Asia and the US have been more than halved. Will have to see how this all pans out.

But I could see a X360 in my living room if its going to be most probably a 6-9 month wait before any serious volumes come through.

If the reviews of the PS3 are stunning I will wait, average and 360 here I come. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Also read that the launch volumes for Asia and the US have been more than halved. Will have to see how this all pans out.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very similar numbers of launch PS3s in the USA, as there were 360s, as such, the PS3 is going to be an ebayers dream.

Im very supprised Japan is only getting 100k. Id have thought out of everyone, they'd want to keep the home market sweet, as thats the one place the PS3 should annihilate the 360.

[ QUOTE ]

Coming back to whether the best is yet to come of the 360 has anyone else seen the new Forza Motorsport 2 trailer SMOKE6.GIF

Forza 2

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just realised how much I miss that game. smlove2.gif

I think I'll have to try and find a cheap copy of Forza to tide me over... That's if the 360 will let me play it.