Newbie Sat Nav Question

Jonnyv

Hello all,

My apologies if these questions have been asked before, I have searched but can't find all my answers!

The girlfriend has just bought a very nice black 3dr GTI which I will post picies of soon, however when she got it home we were both very dismayed with the standard stereo, awful actually.

So it's aftermarket SAT NAV and i am looking at this unit 1K0 035 198 C i know its fairly easy to fit as ive seen the helpfull guides on here.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-DVD-VW-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

So my questions are :-

Is this the latest model?

What do I need to add to watch TV (stationary of course)

What do I need to add to watch DVD's

Are they cheaper anywhere else!!!

Thank you for any help

Jonny

That ebay seller/product certainly looks professional & legit.

£800 is cheaper than getting it from VW but some on here have bought from a seller in Lithuania for around £400 for the same piece of kit. check out the R32 forum as well for info.

keep us posted with pics and info regarding the TV/DVD viewing as and when you find it...

oh and welcome to TSN! 169144-ok.gif

I'd see how much the TV/DVD costs and perhaps give it a miss mate. It's an awesome idea, but something you'll soon get bored of! Whilst driving it's obviously a distraction and just how often are you sat in your car and feel the need to watch something? Even in a large traffic jam (which happen rarely) you'll still be likely to be moving every minute or so...

p.s she has the best colour :P

Yes, there are a few people from Lithuania selling them on flea bay at around 5-600 for a B or a C, but call me sceptical I dont really trust e-bay, if someone had bought one from a particular seller on here I may reconsider.

The TV/DVD option is really secondary Im just curious as to what you need and how much it costs.

I would obviously rather spen £500 than £800 but Lithuania!!!

Hi jonnyv, welcome to TSN! 169144-ok.gif

If you need the latest one -the "C" suffix is 07 Model year i think. Then that Satnav looks like a good price to me.

I payed £460 off EBay but didn't get the DVD disc which turned out to be £200 from VW! (Can't make back up disc either)

I've used that ebayer before and they were 1st class. So his satnav units should be spot on.

About the DVD, TV, Playstation option I thought about it but didn't get very far due to lack of time. This site was as far as i got but seems like a good starting point!

http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/index.aspx

Hope this helps beerchug.gif

Hi jonnyv,

I've taken the plunge and bought the £799 'c' system from the ebay store you mentioned. I dont get the car until towards the end of the month but will let you know how I get on. Only problem I have is that my GTI does not have a center armrest and thus no place to put cd multichanger, the sat nav needs dvd inserted to work and dont fancy taking it in and out everytime I want to play a cd.

Thanks for all the help guys, am going to take the plunge on Ebay over the next few weeks to get the best price, will go for the 'C' as the buttons match the one im taking out.

Ill get whinged at if i replace it with black buttons!

The TV tuner and DVD options look diffucult to do, and there doesnt seem to be any step by step guides anywhere so i think ill leave it for the moment

Will keep you informed

don't want to hijack thread but thanks for that idea edowen looks just what I need.

Dont want to put you on the spot but are there any compatibility issues re connection leads etc, are they model year specific? Is there anything to watch out for or is that piece of kit all I need?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who has the new DVD satnav that has not installed it yet that could do me a Huge Favour and photograph the pinout diagram sticker on the top left of the unit. I want to know if it differs any to the older MFD2 CD based system .I know the standard pin outs don't ie straigh swop but thats not what we have in mind i want to know if it still has the LO-R LO-L, LINE pins.

Thanks beerchug.gif

Geoff.