Personalised Plates

SamD

So I am going to buy a personalised plate this week. Is there any reason for me to buy through a dealer rather than dvla-som direct? The DVLA direct route is about £40 cheaper, but I can't help but wonder if their service is any good (my DVLA dealings haven't been entirely positive over the years)..

any opinions?

Go direct to DVLA-som. Do not pass go, do not collect £200 etc.

All the dealer is going to do is charge you the same price as DVLA, but add vat on aswell, and that's how he makes his money. If it's a plate which is for sale already on a vehicle, the dealer might be the only way to get it as DVLA only sell unallocated plates as far as I know. If it's unallocated, DVLA are the ones to go to.

DVLA were great in my case and delivered within a few days. Not over priced either. I never planned to get a private plate and was just looking what my local standard plate would be like. A private plate gives a car special identity. I notice that lots of TSNers have them and most are seriously cool 169144-ok.gif.

I've bought two from dealers and one from the DVLA. All gave good service and no cause for complaint, although the DVLA was cheaper.

Unfortunately, the DVLA didn't have the plate I wanted twice so I had to go through a dealer.

Did it all through the DVLA-SOM website, no hassle & no problems.

[ QUOTE ]

So assuming I manage to buy my reg tomorrow (which is the plan), where is the best place to get the plates made up? I would rather not use Halfords to be honest.

Should I just ask my dealer to do them for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive just had a new front plate made up by halfords and its fine mate 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

So assuming I manage to buy my reg tomorrow (which is the plan), where is the best place to get the plates made up? I would rather not use Halfords to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam, I have, and always will, used the supplying car dealer. As it happens they did them for nothing for me, but thats not why I was going to use them anyway (before I found out they refused to charge me).

The reason is somewhat anal.....I like the car plates to have the dealership name on, and logos and badging, as if it had been supplied new with the plate on - just to keep that original OEM look. So, if it was me, I'd be off to the supplying Audi dealers! At the most it'll be about £25 anyway and they'll fit them too if you ask nicely.

[ QUOTE ]

07 plates will be available soon - is anyone going to try a *0O7 *** plate?

Or will it become the easiest way to spot the TO55ERS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooohh I've thought about this a lot. 0007 ABC (with ABC being my initials of course). Cool or cock? I fear the latter probably and will pass.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

07 plates will be available soon - is anyone going to try a *0O7 *** plate?

Or will it become the easiest way to spot the TO55ERS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooohh I've thought about this a lot. 0007 ABC (with ABC being my initials of course). Cool or cock? I fear the latter probably and will pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'v got 0004 ### on the van (### being my initials of course) I think it looks great but i am a to55er grin.gifyelrotflmao.gif169144-ok.gif