MY CAR HAS JUST BEEN STOLEN - BLACK GTI - S8SOH

Oli

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I assume you're on a traders policy Oli. It still seems wrong that your insurance may have to cough up given the incompetence of the tyre supliers....

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be claimed under their trade policy, and yes in the morning i will be hiring an equivalent car and they will be paying for it. I have just worked out a list of the mods at retail value and it is nearly £5000!, and thats without the contents of the car etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about your car going - I lost a motorbike once so I know how you feel.

One piece of advice - please check very carefully the terms of the trade policy of the tyre place (ask to see a copy) before you commit yourself to hire car etc. A friend had his highly modified car stolen from a car showroom & the policy was only trade value so this is all he got, no hire car, no mods not even retail price - it was on SOR and they had a letter with a minimum he would take for it & he didn't even get that !

Talking with another dealer it emerged that this is the norm for trade policies (was some years ago now so might have changed) some carry extra insurance to make up the difference some "self-insure" in his case it was the latter & they didn't help him out at all !

Really hope this isn't the case here + the level of their stupidity would certainly make a legal case easier but wanted to warn you so you could check.

I have just been to see the people involved and they have admitted full liability and the insurance claim is all in hand. I will get full payout for all the mods as I have receipts for all of these. I will also be able to get all my personal items covered.

My strong gut feeling tells me that there's either a rat in their camp or outsider rats are continually watching the place for opportunities.

I'm afraid that I am extremely fussy about where and who works on my car and that includes even simple things like tyre changes. I will not leave my car unattended with anyone I don't have 100% confidence in. Some may call such behaviour as paranoia or just sad, but I love my car too much.

The last time i had a car stolen, there was a standard 6 week wait period (from the date the car was reported stolen) until the payout was made. This was in case the car was recovered.

Liabiliy is with the tyre company (not their insurers). If their own insurance only covers the trade value of the car, then the tyre company itself is liable for any extra costs (valuables etc). Though, if they want to play hardball, these may have to be recovered through the courts...

I would doubt that the company's insurers would pay out on such a blatant case of negligence, so they may have had to tell a porky or two, if this is the case then you shouldn't have a problem recovering additional costs.

The car has probably been stripped by now and various bits now attached to some chaved up Golf 1.4L

Good luck