Simple telephone wiring diagrams??

MOSE

Have been experiencing lots of interference to the point where the land-line is unusable. This typically happens 5 secs into a call both incoming and outgoing. BT tested the line and said there are no faults external to the house. They advised I take the cover off the master socket where I should find a secondary socket behind the panel. This was explained as being a 'purer' connection that bypasses the broadband etc. I tried this but no secondary socket :confused:.

Anyways, what I did find was what looks to be an orange lead that has disconnected itself. It appears to be totally orange as opposed to white/orange or orange/white. Any ideas which position this should be connected to? I don't seem to have been able to find a diagram that shows this. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Orange is usually the BT cable coming into the house, it can be up to four individual wires, orange, white, green and black. normally only the orange and white wires are connected, and it usually doesn't matter what way round they are, if one is disconnected, it wont show a short circuit on a line test, are you sure your looking at the master socket and not a slave?

The master socket usually looks like this -

ntefrt.jpg

Once you remove the 'user removable panel' you should find another socket inside, this picture shows the inside of the 'fixed front' panel which can be removed after the user panel which exposes the extra screws -

nteback.jpg

The solid orange wire should connect to either A or B, if something is connected to both these already, then the orange isn't used (assuming it's part of the BT cable coming in from the outside world).

Of course it's always possible you have a different or older type of master socket.

It may also be non standard internal wiring, if thats the case, the colours can be in any order depending on who fitted them, so trace the other end of the orange cable if possible, and hopefully it'll terminate in a slave socket, in which case, check which connecter it's in, and connect to the same one at the end it's disconnected at.

Also, have you tried removing all your filters for the broadband? when these go wrong they can cause interference.

Edited by Tipex

Cheers tipex - a far more comprehensive response than I was expecting+++. I'll have play around tomorrow.

The socket doesn't look like the one you posted but I think it must be the master. Again I'll have a look at the other sockets and remove/swap the filter.