New Cooper S (turbo model)

Soulboy

The g/f is going to get shut of her cooper convertible due to numerous problems with the roof (it has been in 10 times in 18 months and is on its 3rd roof!!).

Anyway, she is going to go for a new cooper s (the turbo less thirsty model) in dark grey with black trim.

Should be here New Year ish.

Cant wait laugh.gif

She is going for a hard top after all the problems we have had with the convertible.

Its in at the moment having the roof looked at (again!) and she has got a week old Cooper S convertible as a courtesy car (I kicked up a bit of a fuss and got the sales fellas car grin.gif).

Its only one week old and has all the extras on it - BUT the roof still 'whistles' above 80mph confused.gif

........So hard top it is (oh and they are about £2500 cheaper as well IIRC!)

Only thing we may change on the order is the colour. Apparently there are about 7 new colours coming out for the new model. Although we love the steel grey, I reckon it would make sense to go for a 'new colour' as the new model looks almost identical to the old one.

So it would just identify it as a new model.

QUESTION:

We were also going to spec the spotlights, but they cost about £400 as an option shocked.gif

Does anyone know if you can get similar ones fitted after market? and approximate cost?

beerchug.gif

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Sweet, you'll be the first person I know who gets an R56 169144-ok.gif What options did y'all choose?

Looking forward to your impressions and PICS grin.gif

beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will get some pics as soon as she gets it. 169144-ok.gif

Spec is: dark metallic grey Cooper S turbo/black roof/half leather seats/interior chrome pack/tinted windows/spots/air con/Ipod link/park sensor........and some other stuff that I cant remember at the moment. smashfreakB.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I briefly test drove the new turbocharged MINI Cooper S MK3 yesterday ...certainly a lot quieter than my wifes current supercharged MCS. It only had 60 miles on the clock but still felt strong good even low down in 6th. Generally an uplift in most things refinement is improved. But ....I didn't feel that I wanted to get the chequebook out and order one. (having just bought the 335D its not ideal timing)

Seats where very nice and the steering wheel now adjusts for both reach & height. I'm not 100% sure about the huge centre speedo...it really is big on first view.

With the Sat Nav option the speedo seems less of an eyesore as it then just neatly fits around the screen. Although I prefer the extra pod over the steering wheel. The pull at low revs really surprised me and felt the steering was much more freindly, putting the "power" back into power steering. There is one fatal flaw though; If you go for the Sat Nav, the aerial isn't replaced by the shark fin. So no matter what you have a silly aerial like Alfafa's haircut!

Alfalfa--C10113037.jpeg

still don't know how to attach pictures, I guess!

• 1 month later...

I test drove 2 Mini Cooper S's yesterday - the new Turbo Charged one and the old Super Charged one.

First impressions were that the new one is much more refined, but the old one was MUCH more fun to drive. This could work both ways as if you're going to be doing long journey's the new one will help you arrive in a much more relaxed & calmer state!

I have to say though the new new Mini didn't seem quite as well built as the old one.... just simple things like the sunroof surround being a bit floppy and the centre consol switches not having the same sturdy feel as the old version.

I also noticed that the turbo car had a nasty ticking sound on idle which I found most irratating.... it didn't sound all that smart for a brand new car.

Look forward to seeing the pics Soulboy and hearing your own review.

• 3 weeks later...