''WHAT CAR?'' INSURANCE-AMAZING!!!!!!!

seventyseven

My import's due in less than 2 weeks,apparently..........

Just about decided to move from Admiral(Mk3 now resting in peace but loaner mondeo's on its policy)to priviledge-they'll insure me on the chassis number(I checked!!) before I get the registration but......

Given pater's a Jock,it's always best to double check £££ so I called to get a quote from ''what car?''s insurance offer-Promises S##tloads as they all do & £££off for you,you lucky reader!!

It's Liverpool victoria & we went through the details of the

car-I said it's being imported & the guy put me on hold.

When he came back he said ''we don't do many imports & that one isn't on our list''

My big gob is smacked...the magazine has a section on importers/the pros & cons of importing etc but their super spunky insurance WON'T cover my/our cars!!

I'll be laughing at their advertising department at 0901 hrs

2 moro and suggesting they insert some text next issue pointing out this minor problem.

Comments??

123576-assfeck.gif123576-assfeck.gif

Technical issue really - Insurers think imports mean from outside the EU.

If your car has been supplied within the EU and is UK specification it is illegal for the insurer to discriminate against it because of the Free Movement of Good provisions of the EU treaties.

Cars imported from outside the EU (and this has included Cyprus, Arabic states etc) are not covered and insurers can lawfully discriminate. (It is the point of supply of goods rather than manufacture alone that is relevant - German made can still be imported from outside the EU).

The typical true import is for example a Legacy, where the B6 was originally only available in Japan and hence in the UK as an import - if it got damaged was really expensive to repair as parts had to be custom shipped from Japan, whereas Subaru UK supplied cars had parts at UK cost.

Insurers are free to refuse insurance to individuals without reason (age, convictions, home address etc).

It's probably not worth the hassle, and the quote I got from LV was not competitive, but you could phone again, ask to speak to a manager, explain their telephone minion made a mistake - an illegal error - could he/she provide a quote - otherwise you will be reporting LV for illegal action as your car is NOT an import, but is a parallel supplied UK spec car znaika.gif

Let us know how you get on!