Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Squealey

TDi Smoking when chipped

8 posts in this topic

Hi all you knowledgable people.

I have a 1999 Passat 1.9tdi Estate. It has covered 80,000 miles. I recently brought a power upgrade chip made by PSI. It is the chip that the shop German, Swedish and French sell. It apparantly boosts the power from 110 to 134 BHP . The problem I have is that when it's fitted my car pumps out an embarrasing amount of smoke when accelerating. As soon as I take it off the smoking stops. The car only uses about 1 litre of oil every 10,000 miles which is in no way excessive.

Has anyone else experienced any problems like this????

These chips really do work and I would prefer to leave it on my car, but its just too embarrasing.

Thanks in advance for any help you can afford me

I'd like to say, that I've seen this happen on a chipped diesel, as the same happens to Pete (Fatcat on here) on his chipped 1.9 TDI quattro. Wheter this is the norm, I couldn't really confirm that. PM Pete and he'll tell you more...

beerchug.gif

Hi Wayne & welcome to TSN

My old gal is 15 months old and has done some 40k, prior to chipping the car was virtually smoke free, however since I had the beast chipped by Revo the car has smoked a bit more and I have noticed the oil consumption has increased.

In my opinion, it is a small price to pay for such a hike in performance, my car has been transformed...... ECLIPSe.gif

I would'nt let the increase in smoke bother you too much, after all it only effects the poor sods behind you.... wink.gif (unchipped S3 owners form an orderly queue please) fuck_scott.gif

Good luck with the transformation, when it's done bring it along a meet. beerchug.gif

That site has some very interesting stuff in it about tuning, although perhaps a bit over the top for most of us. Still, it was interesting to read about diesel engine characteristics.

Yeah very interesting reading....especially as it says about the only difference between a 90 and a 110 bhp TDI is the injectors.....i wonder if burti would notice if i borrowed his wink.gif

ERMMM, i only drive my tractor one way...and thats with my foot hard on the accelerator !!! even then im still yawning.....so going any slower would be like going back in time..........so in answer to your question i would notice if u nicked my injectors fekr.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i wonder if burti would notice if i borrowed his wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wot else have u been eyeing up to borrow on me car ?? sekret.gif